Need help re hot spots

I want to use my computer hot spot function when I am at my markets. My question is re how much GB data should I be looking for to use with my phone's data usage plan? I can get the hot spot as an add on. My current plan has 1 GB data. So how much more should I add on so I can use my comp with my phone at my markets? Hope this makes sense as I'm not sure if I am asking this the right way. I just got my first laptop so looking for ideas on how much data usage I may need for using hot spots.

That mainly depends on what you plan to do on your laptop.  If you plan to just use it for web searches or reading forums you wouldn't need a massive amount.  If you wanna be able run videos or anything more than normal website reading you will need a decent amount.  For just basic usage i wouldn't think you would need more than a 1-2 gigs.  If you wanna be able to view videos and all i would think 2+ gigs.  But alot of this depends on how long you would plan to have it on the internet at a given time.  If you are just popping on once in a while to look at stuff and don't plan to leave the pc constantly connect to the hot spot using bandwidth  you can probably get by with less data.  Again it  mainly depends on your type of usage and length of time you are using the actual hot spot.  Sorry I can't be a bit more specific than this.  personally i have not used a cells wireless hotspot. and atm my phone isn't even able to use the internet.    Hopefully this will help just a bit.

• Like 1

Actually that helps. I think I will add on one more GB per month so I have 2 GBs. For a while I need to use my laptop to access my biz programs like working on labels or spreadsheets to do a little work while I am at my market. Won't be watching vids or streaming TV. I know that takes up a lot of data. But just not sure how much data use I need for running those programs.

I use square on my phone. That's why I have my phone with me at the market. Don't think I want to use the laptop to take payments.

Update: took my new laptop to one of my markets and tried to set up hot spot function. Looks like the wifi signal is not strong enough. So maybe in another market I might be able to get it working. But I did find that working on my laptop at the market was not that much fun. The daylight makes the screen hard to see. Don't know how some people can work with that. I may just leave it at home unless I go to someplace indoors with wifi.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Candybee said:

I use square on my phone. That's why I have my phone with me at the market. Don't think I want to use the laptop to take payments.

Update: took my new laptop to one of my markets and tried to set up hot spot function. Looks like the wifi signal is not strong enough. So maybe in another market I might be able to get it working. But I did find that working on my laptop at the market was not that much fun. The daylight makes the screen hard to see. Don't know how some people can work with that. I may just leave it at home unless I go to someplace indoors with wifi.

I've been curious about Square.  I've seen salespeople use it at my home and lots of the small businesses. Does it work on Android devices or just I-phone?

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/10/2018 at 11:34 PM, Quentin said:

I've been curious about Square.  I've seen salespeople use it at my home and lots of the small businesses. Does it work on Android devices or just I-phone?

It works on both. Just make sure its not a really old phone as Square won't support older phone versions. If you phone is only a couple years old or newer you should be good. But to be sure you can always go to the Squareup website and check your phone compatibility from their list.

I just got a new LG Tribute Dynasty android because my old LG Voltcandy android was no longer supported by Square.

Edited by Candybee
  • Thanks 1