Telecommuters Insurance

coconut

This is a different sort of insurance problem than product liability which we usually discuss. The company I work for allows staff to work from home, but requires us to have liability insurance to protect them from some third party issues. I guess it is an overabundance of caution since we are desk workers, we have no products and no clients. We process warranty claims on a computer. My problem is this: I own my home but due to living in Florida and having a very old house, I cannot get a rider on my homeowner's insurance for a home office. Since I do not rent I cannot get renter's insurance either. A commercial liability policy looks like it costs as much as candle product liability. Does anyone know of any lower cost alternative? I would consider this a very low risk but so far I have not come up with anything. Thanks in advance for any ideas.

1 hour ago, Sebleo said:

What would you be insuring? Would they be looking for protection in the event your computer and files are compromised? 

No, there are no files kept on the computer and they insure the equipment. Just liability, it seems. Like if a delivery person tripped and got hurt, I guess. 

Hmm, that is weird. Seems your homeowners insurance would cover other people getting injured. Maybe they want you to have insurance for possible work related injuries? Which seems extreme for a desk job. I can't think of what type of insurance you would need. I don't think you would qualify for any type of crafting insurance. 

There's no add on available through your homeowners?

Would your employer accept the candle making policy?