Does Vanilla Bean from WSP smell like vanilla to you?

GailC

I had a customer request for Vanilla candles, so I got out 3 of my vanilla FO's.   Very Vanilla from CS, Fresh Vanilla from Candlewic, and Vanilla Bean from WSP.  

Very Vanilla is still hands down my favorite vanilla, Fresh Vanilla smells like vanilla, not bad, but Vanilla Bean from WSP smells nothing like vanilla to me.  I looked up the reviews on their site, and most reviews were positive.  But a few said it smelled like Root Beer, and a few said it smelled like licorice or anise.  I can't pin down what it smells like, but I'm afraid to use it.  My daughter says it smells like cough medicine.  :)  I bought a couple of 4 oz bottles from a local individual, so I won't be out much if I don't use it.  

If any of you have used it in soy wax, does it smell like vanilla?  

I might try it as a mixer, but I don't even know if I want to do that.

17 hours ago, GailC said:

I had a customer request for Vanilla candles, so I got out 3 of my vanilla FO's.   Very Vanilla from CS, Fresh Vanilla from Candlewic, and Vanilla Bean from WSP.  

Very Vanilla is still hands down my favorite vanilla, Fresh Vanilla smells like vanilla, not bad, but Vanilla Bean from WSP smells nothing like vanilla to me.  I looked up the reviews on their site, and most reviews were positive.  But a few said it smelled like Root Beer, and a few said it smelled like licorice or anise.  I can't pin down what it smells like, but I'm afraid to use it.  My daughter says it smells like cough medicine.  :)  I bought a couple of 4 oz bottles from a local individual, so I won't be out much if I don't use it.  

I agree with you about CS Very Vanilla--it's my absolute favorite vanilla-it's fabulous with CS Lavender.  I haven't tried the WSP vanilla because I love this one!!  

• Like 1

21 hours ago, GailC said:

Sorry late to this thread....left for the emergency animal clinic last night at 5:00 and didn't get home till 1:30 this morning....Horrible horrible night and then this morning, just devestation.....Well I need to get somewhat focused and get my mind elsewhere.....  Gail, you use 464 as me...Let me tell you this about WSP VBN....This fragrance is simply out of this world.   I was at a friends house this past week and actually 2 weeks before and when I walked into her house all you could smell was this scent and you talk about strong?  Omg.....It's beautiful...It's not cheap, but take my word just beautiful and if I can't smell (which I can't) and I can smell something like this just opening the door to her house, rest assure it's a winner.  Get a pound of it....If you don't like it, I will buy it from you.....  I never had good luck with very vanilla...guess maybe I should try again.  As you know I use Vanilla Voodoo from CC.

Trappeur

Edited by Trappeur
  • Sad 1

3 hours ago, lightmyfire said:

I agree with you about CS Very Vanilla--it's my absolute favorite vanilla-it's fabulous with CS Lavender.  I haven't tried the WSP vanilla because I love this one!!  

So you do a blend Lightmyfire?   Do you mind me asking what ratio?  I'm going to try that....

Trappeur

35 minutes ago, Trappeur said:

Sorry late to this thread....left for the emergency animal clinic last night at 5:00 and didn't get home till 1:30 this morning....Horrible horrible night and then this morning, just devestation.....Well I need to get somewhat focused and get my mind elsewhere.....  Gail, you use 464 as me...Let me tell you this about WSP VBN....This fragrance is simply out of this world.   I was at a friends house this past week and actually 2 weeks before and when I walked into her house all you could smell was this scent and you talk about strong?  Omg.....It's beautiful...It's not cheap, but take my word just beautiful and if I can't smell (which I can't) and I can smell something like this just opening the door to her house, rest assure it's a winner.  Get a pound of it....If you don't like it, I will buy it from you.....  I never had good luck with very vanilla...guess maybe I should try again.  As you know I use Vanilla Voodoo from CC.

Trappeur

so sorry to hear that you had a horrible night at the animal clinic :(

@Trappeur, sorry you had a horrible night.  What's going on? Or would you rather not talk about it?

The only reason I have Vanilla Bean from WSP is because I bought 2 four ounce bottles from a local lady who was destashing.  I just couldn't ever pay $30 for a pound of FO of any kind.  I'm too much of a cheapskate.  :)   If it is as wonderful as you say, it must smell much better once in wax.  Strange how we have different perceptions of FO's.  I do love Very Vanilla from CS.  

Yes I remember you love Vanilla Voodoo, but I have never ordered from Candle Cocoon and don't intend to start!!!  I just got 5 pounds of FO from RE, and I AM DONE ordering FO's for awhile...(I hope!)

Gail, Very vanilla smelling out of bottle is really beautiful and I love.    Just couldn't get it to throw.   I order from CS all the time....I'm going to get a pound of it and try again.  I can always use it to blend.   Actually, it really isn't much different than CC V.Voodoo to be honest.   So I will try again.  And 38.95 a pound!   I have never paid that much for any oil.   Believe me, it kills me to order this and I like to think I'm el cheapo also....but you know what, I mainly use for me or a friend.  I could drink the stuff it is that nice.   It is sooooooooooo strong, I never thought of cutting back, but I bet you could.  I should try and see.  I was cleaning the floor for a friend of mine and I use pine sole.    Now usually the pine sole takes over the house and you can't smell anything but that....but geesh, the VBN just over rode the pine sole.....it was that great.  Now I will say that the candle cured for a LONG time....she just didn't burn it till she finished up burning other candles she bought.  I bet that jar sat 2 months....I did a 3 wick jobby candle.  Jar is big....3 wicks makes a big difference too.  Jar is 5" wide x 4 1/2" tall with 3 cd 5 wicks....Unbelievable that I used to use 3 cd 7 but had to drop down to 3 5's with all this soy wax crap going on....but burns beautiful.

Trappeur

In answer to your question about the emergency animal clinic Gail......well, when I got home last night after work about 5:30 I had a message from my neighbor that she had 1 of my cats called "Friendly" on her back porch in very bad shape, as she thought he was paralyzed.  He evidently crawled into her driveway and she found him uncontrollably breathing very heavy and couldn't move from the head down.  Her and her hubby picked him up, ran up to my shack and got one of my cat carriers of which they made a little bed out of it for him.  They said he couldn't move.   When I got there, I bent down and started talking and mothering him.  By a miracle she said, he got up and tried to walk, but he couldn't stand but kept falling over and crying.  I picked him up and he was just purring a mile a minute but I rushed him down the mountain to the 24 hour emergency clinic.  They gave him every test that was available and all was negative, no feline leuk, fiv....a test for antifreeze maybe and that negative also.  It was neurological said the vet as my neighbor did also as she is a nurse.  No broken bones, nothing....Next step would be to go to a neurologist at the Tennessee or Georgia Universities which would have cost thousands.   So here I am at the clinic for 10 hours desperate for a positive some kind of result and they have nothing.   And as usual, always scraping the barrel as far as funds go so they said they would try for care credit if I wanted to...so I did and got approved for 2,500.00....I couldn't believe that so they finished the testings.  I asked about if it could maybe be with the symptons rabies....and that was a possibility yes.....but the vet said cats are so different and there are so many neurological things that could be happening and not just rabies.   Someone could have hit him.... He said maybe if I wanted he would euthanize "Friendly" and send his head off to be examined!   I thought with this bedside manner of his of what he just said I would die.  As I'm sitting there holding "Friendly" in my arms, here is this cat looking up at me purring so loudly and hugging my neck and I want to euthanize him?  Are you kidding me?    Look at this cat....surely there must be something that could be done....??? I said what if it is something else which could very well possibly be?  So he gave him fluids and a shot of an antibiotic that would last 2 weeks and I could take him home.  But the only way I could take him home is if I quarantine him for 4 months and they didn't even want me to touch him at all for that length of time....ugh............So almost 600.00 later I and Friendly drive home and I set him in the basement, opened up his cage and he very wobbly walks out crying to me.  He ate 2 whole cans of wet cat food and just starts talking to me so this goes on for hours with me being with him and then I passed out for a few hours, went downstairs about 9:00 and devestation clicks on and his system is shutting down (you don't want to see something like this as it is so horrible) and he passes away....I actually thought with him eating so much food and purring and talking to me, was a positive thing going on....Now I have to go and bury him with my beloved horse Timmy, my dog Bonnie, another little cat I named Hope down at the shack looking out over the pond who all  just recently died.   "Friendly" was a feral cat who showed up at my little shack a few years back and of course me, the animal lover I am could never turn any animal away and started to feed him and another feral who became best buds and they waited every day for me to come and spend time with them and feed them.  We bonded so well as I usually do and he was the most loving feral and a huge one at that too....I don't think he was that feral to be quite honest.  Undoubtedly another animal who got left off the side of the road by some disgusting person and now they went looking for their new forever home which they found in me.   Rest in peace Little Friendly...you are so missed....

And on top of that I have another cat named Oreo who some assh......le used her for a shooting practice evidently.  I took her to the vet and they did xrays and she has probably 10 areas in her that is loaded with schrapnel and she is a mess but a loving girl.  Long story short, she gave birth to 1 kitten in the condition she is in.   Now a couple weeks ago my same neighbor who just rescued Friendly for me, calls me to tell me there are a couple kittens somebody threw off onto the side of the road and these kittens were probably 2 weeks old and asked if I could help her get them out of the woods as they were crying frantically and that whole week we were having bad storms and bad flooding.  Couldn't get the kittens.  Next day she calls me and said 1 kitten was run over and is out in the road.  I run down there and she got the other kitten of which was in very very bad shape, scared, drenched and nothing but a bag of bones.  I brought the kitten home and Oreo actually took this kitten right over as if it were her own.  Long story short I named the little kitten Annie (short for Orphan Annie) and the other kitten that is Oreo's actual baby Oakley.  Got the names from Annie Oakley.  So it is now a couple weeks since I have the orphaned kitten and she after going to the vet and needing certain medicines is now thriving and getting big and is having a great time growing up with her 1/2 sister and Oreo as horrible as it is to see her hobble around with all the shrapnel in her body just loves her 2 babies.   And they really need homes as I have way too many animals...I don't know what God thought when he made me.  I swear my heart just breaks anytime I hear or see an animal suffering.....I want to save them all but I just can't and I have no life....All I can do with all the rescues I have and the ones who just showed up is just give them the love, food and care they need.  That makes me happy most.    So that is my life aside from candles and I make all these dang candles just so I can feed my animals truth be told.   If there is life after death and we come back and if I come back as a cat, I swear I hope I find someone just like me who will take care of me to the end.. Wow, such a long rant.....I'm tired.....

This is how Friendly greeted me every day as I pull in to the shack to feed him.

CIMG7357.thumb.JPG.da8e4438d2c6cf1dad61fff593c5d8d2.JPG

Trappeur

Edited by Trappeur
  • Like 4
  • Sad 3

@Trappeur, oh my! You are an angel on earth!  So sorry you went through all that with Friendly.  You really have a lot on your plate with all your sick/injured animals, and now the nasty skunks!

You said you just can't save them all, but think of all the animals you have rescued and loved.  Reminds me of one of my favorite stories...let me see if I can find it and copy it for you.

One day a man was walking along the beach when he noticed a boy picking up and gently throwing things into the ocean.

Approaching the boy he asked: "Young man, what are you doing?"

The boy replied, Throwing starfish back into the ocean. The surf is up and the tide is going out. If I don't throw them back, they'll die.

The man laughed to himself and said, " Do you realize there are miles of miles of beach and hundreds of starfish?" "You can't make any difference."

After listening politely, the boy bent down, picked up another starfish and threw it into the surf, then smiling at the man, he said; "I made a difference to that one."

• Like 5

11 minutes ago, GailC said:

@Trappeur, oh my! You are an angel on earth!  So sorry you went through all that with Friendly.  You really have a lot on your plate with all your sick/injured animals, and now the nasty skunks!

You said you just can't save them all, but think of all the animals you have rescued and loved.  Reminds me of one of my favorite stories...let me see if I can find it and copy it for you.

One day a man was walking along the beach when he noticed a boy picking up and gently throwing things into the ocean.

Approaching the boy he asked: "Young man, what are you doing?"

The boy replied, Throwing starfish back into the ocean. The surf is up and the tide is going out. If I don't throw them back, they'll die.

The man laughed to himself and said, " Do you realize there are miles of miles of beach and hundreds of starfish?" "You can't make any difference."

After listening politely, the boy bent down, picked up another starfish and threw it into the surf, then smiling at the man, he said; "I made a difference to that one."

:(thankyou Gail.....

Trappeur

I'm so sorry you and Friendly went through this.  It is hard not to spend the money if there is even a small hope your animal will recover.  Wish I lived closer.  I 'd come over and give you a big hug. :icon_awww:

GoldieMN

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Trappeur said:

In answer to your question about the emergency animal clinic Gail......well, when I got home last night after work about 5:30 I had a message from my neighbor that she had 1 of my cats called "Friendly" on her back porch in very bad shape, as she thought he was paralyzed.  He evidently crawled into her driveway and she found him uncontrollably breathing very heavy and couldn't move from the head down.  Her and her hubby picked him up, ran up to my shack and got one of my cat carriers of which they made a little bed out of it for him.  They said he couldn't move.   When I got there, I bent down and started talking and mothering him.  By a miracle she said, he got up and tried to walk, but he couldn't stand but kept falling over and crying.  I picked him up and he was just purring a mile a minute but I rushed him down the mountain to the 24 hour emergency clinic.  They gave him every test that was available and all was negative, no feline leuk, fiv....a test for antifreeze maybe and that negative also.  It was neurological said the vet as my neighbor did also as she is a nurse.  No broken bones, nothing....Next step would be to go to a neurologist at the Tennessee or Georgia Universities which would have cost thousands.   So here I am at the clinic for 10 hours desperate for a positive some kind of result and they have nothing.   And as usual, always scraping the barrel as far as funds go so they said they would try for care credit if I wanted to...so I did and got approved for 2,500.00....I couldn't believe that so they finished the testings.  I asked about if it could maybe be with the symptons rabies....and that was a possibility yes.....but the vet said cats are so different and there are so many neurological things that could be happening and not just rabies.   Someone could have hit him.... He said maybe if I wanted he would euthanize "Friendly" and send his head off to be examined!   I thought with this bedside manner of his of what he just said I would die.  As I'm sitting there holding "Friendly" in my arms, here is this cat looking up at me purring so loudly and hugging my neck and I want to euthanize him?  Are you kidding me?    Look at this cat....surely there must be something that could be done....??? I said what if it is something else which could very well possibly be?  So he gave him fluids and a shot of an antibiotic that would last 2 weeks and I could take him home.  But the only way I could take him home is if I quarantine him for 4 months and they didn't even want me to touch him at all for that length of time....ugh............So almost 600.00 later I and Friendly drive home and I set him in the basement, opened up his cage and he very wobbly walks out crying to me.  He ate 2 whole cans of wet cat food and just starts talking to me so this goes on for hours with me being with him and then I passed out for a few hours, went downstairs about 9:00 and devestation clicks on and his system is shutting down (you don't want to see something like this as it is so horrible) and he passes away....I actually thought with him eating so much food and purring and talking to me, was a positive thing going on....Now I have to go and bury him with my beloved horse Timmy, my dog Bonnie, another little cat I named Hope down at the shack looking out over the pond who all  just recently died.   "Friendly" was a feral cat who showed up at my little shack a few years back and of course me, the animal lover I am could never turn any animal away and started to feed him and another feral who became best buds and they waited every day for me to come and spend time with them and feed them.  We bonded so well as I usually do and he was the most loving feral and a huge one at that too....I don't think he was that feral to be quite honest.  Undoubtedly another animal who got left off the side of the road by some disgusting person and now they went looking for their new forever home which they found in me.   Rest in peace Little Friendly...you are so missed....

And on top of that I have another cat named Oreo who some assh......le used her for a shooting practice evidently.  I took her to the vet and they did xrays and she has probably 10 areas in her that is loaded with schrapnel and she is a mess but a loving girl.  Long story short, she gave birth to 1 kitten in the condition she is in.   Now a couple weeks ago my same neighbor who just rescued Friendly for me, calls me to tell me there are a couple kittens somebody threw off onto the side of the road and these kittens were probably 2 weeks old and asked if I could help her get them out of the woods as they were crying frantically and that whole week we were having bad storms and bad flooding.  Couldn't get the kittens.  Next day she calls me and said 1 kitten was run over and is out in the road.  I run down there and she got the other kitten of which was in very very bad shape, scared, drenched and nothing but a bag of bones.  I brought the kitten home and Oreo actually took this kitten right over as if it were her own.  Long story short I named the little kitten Annie (short for Orphan Annie) and the other kitten that is Oreo's actual baby Oakley.  Got the names from Annie Oakley.  So it is now a couple weeks since I have the orphaned kitten and she after going to the vet and needing certain medicines is now thriving and getting big and is having a great time growing up with her 1/2 sister and Oreo as horrible as it is to see her hobble around with all the shrapnel in her body just loves her 2 babies.   And they really need homes as I have way too many animals...I don't know what God thought when he made me.  I swear my heart just breaks anytime I hear or see an animal suffering.....I want to save them all but I just can't and I have no life....All I can do with all the rescues I have and the ones who just showed up is just give them the love, food and care they need.  That makes me happy most.    So that is my life aside from candles and I make all these dang candles just so I can feed my animals truth be told.   If there is life after death and we come back and if I come back as a cat, I swear I hope I find someone just like me who will take care of me to the end.. Wow, such a long rant.....I'm tired.....

This is how Friendly greeted me every day as I pull in to the shack to feed him.

CIMG7357.thumb.JPG.da8e4438d2c6cf1dad61fff593c5d8d2.JPG

Trappeur

So sorry to hear that you've gone through this. I know it's of little comfort now, but Friendly had a great meal and a lot of love as he was at the end of his life and I'm positive he felt comforted by your care and compassion. 

Edited by Lana
Typo
  • Like 1

Trapp, Bless you for all you do for these adorable Kitty's .The world needs more like You. Have peace in knowing you did everything in your power to help this Beautiful kitty. He will no longer suffer & gone to kitty heaven . I read your story & brought tears to my eyes . I know test we're run on Friendly ,but do you think any way possible ,this could have been a snake bite ? I once had a cat , with similar symptoms ,turned out to be a Copperhead snake bite ,the venom is very poisonous .

Have peace of mind in knowing you gave 100% to Friendly .You took him in ,loved ,fed & cared for him .Last but not least you tried with all you had to save this precious cat .

Blessings ,Kat 😇

Edited by katmeltswax

I cannot express how sorry I am about your beloved Friendly and I completely understand how hard it is to watch your little friend go.  The amazing thing is that he had a few moments of what seemed like normal before he left and you were there for that!!!  What a blessing to have watched him eat and hear him purr...........

Give yourself time to cry and grieve.  I'm sending you prayers and hugs also!

:wub: