Adding oil to 4625 igi

Jamie shonk

So I was reading somewhere that adding some coconut oil or olive oil to a harder paraffin wax can help the scent throw . Has anyone ever tried this for wickless melts ? I’m wondering what the percentage would be if I was to try it 🤔 I would be grateful for any advice 

That's an old school method and went by the wayside fairly quickly. Especially when you could achieve the same affect but using a wax blend. 

There are several threads in this wickless forum on how to get a stronger throw for melts. 

I usually mix my 4625 with 4794 and use 6% FO and get a great scented melt. 

Yeah, it was something people were doing back about 5 years after I started making candles, but it only lasted heavily for about it year, and fizzled out because it was found not to have the desired effects. it would soften the wax too much and produce smoke and soot. Even melts would smoke if the ratios were off even just a little bit. 

Hot throw usually has more to do with the right wick than the additives. 

Anything you add changes the burn. Oils change the melt point and chemical make up of the candle wax. Adding lipids to candle wax can create a lot of soot from incomplete combustion. You have to test over time to see in your case if it works. It may have worked for one person who hit upon the sweet spot with a particular box of wax and fragrance.