Selling soy candles at summer markets

I apologize if this has already been discussed, but I did a pretty lengthy search and couldn't find anything. I am still relatively new at selling my soy candles and wax melts. I've predominantly used Etsy but attended a few Fall/Winter craft fairs last year. My goal this year was to use my summer (I'm a teacher) to attend more craft fairs and farmers markets. My first one is scheduled for this Sunday, but it's forecasted to be 92 degrees. My soy candles would definitely begin to melt at that temperature, so I pulled out of the event. I have a farmers market on Tuesday, and it's supposed to be 95 degrees, so I will probably need to cancel that as well. 

Maybe I was being too optimistic when I signed up for these markets, but I really want to get out there to sell my product in person. Do any of you have experience selling soy candles at outdoor markets in the summer? I'd love your feedback on whether it's just a bad idea or if there are things I could do to make it work.

Jeremy 

• Like 1

If you're in the shade and on a grassy area it should be OK. I sell all summer long, and leave my candles, soap, etc. set up in my outdoor shop and they've been fine through 115*F summers for years... I'm under a tree with wooden displays. Wood displays definitely work for protecting my wares better than plastic/metal/etc that move heat quickly.

Keep them out of the sun (the rays heat the containers) and keep the reflected radiant heat, like pavement, from them. You can rotate stock into coolers if your area is particularly hot.

• Like 1

Thank you @TallTayl for the tips! I tested the other day when it was 90, and the candles began to melt. My canopy tent came with removable walls, so I put on three of the walls to block the sunlight, but I'm wondering if it actually increased the temperature under the canopy because of poor ventilation. It's going to be 95 here tomorrow, so I'll test again with just one wall (the side facing the sun). 

Way back when I used ice trays under displays for melt prone items. Made a little micro zone of chill for the products. made custom ice ice packs using my food sealer. That stuff comes on a roll so I could make them as long as I needed. 

can you rethink your soy to raise the melt point a bit?

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Can you find markets that are open mornings?  I don't know where you live, but here in the central U.S., afternoon summer temps can soar into the 90's easily.  That being said, it's generally in the 70's early in the morning when I set up, and by the time the afternoon heat is getting serious, I'm packed up and on the way home.  

• 3 weeks later...
On 6/30/2018 at 6:53 PM, TallTayl said:

Way back when I used ice trays under displays for melt prone items. Made a little micro zone of chill for the products. made custom ice ice packs using my food sealer. That stuff comes on a roll so I could make them as long as I needed. 

Good idea with the ice.

On 6/29/2018 at 11:51 PM, TallTayl said:

You can rotate stock into coolers if your area is particularly hot.

Good idea, I was just going to mention putting stock in coolers with some cold packs or something. Cool, nice to hear from someone that has experience with this, thanks for sharing.

On 8/6/2018 at 3:02 PM, Crafty1_AJ said:

Can you find markets that are open mornings?  I don't know where you live, but here in the central U.S., afternoon summer temps can soar into the 90's easily.  That being said, it's generally in the 70's early in the morning when I set up, and by the time the afternoon heat is getting serious, I'm packed up and on the way home.  

Hi @Crafty1_AJ. Just checked out your Etsy shop, looks very nice. Congrats!

• Like 1

On 6/30/2018 at 6:53 PM, TallTayl said:

Hi @JeremyM. Just wanted to add to @TallTayl advice. I have used small amounts of Universal Soy Wax Additive in my coconut soy blend candles and it worked great. You only need to use small amounts like no more than 2% or something like that if I remember correctly. If you use too much then you run into wicking problems. It increases candle hardness and improves scent throw. I buy mine at The Candle Makers Store https://thecandlemakersstore.com/candle-making/candle-making-additives/universal-soy-wax-additive.html. There is also an additive called a Hardener https://thecandlemakersstore.com/candle-making/candle-making-additives/c-15-hardener-1-pound-bag.html but I don't have experience with that and it does say it's for paraffin but it may work with soy. Good luck.