New Product Line

I have been making candles for awhile now and selling them (albeit slowly) but now with the summer months in Texas, it is really not good for me to take them to the local flea market. I still want to be able to take something there, however, so I've been looking into start making body products. I've narrowed it down to M&P soaps (can't work with lye with my toddler around), bath bombs, foaming bath truffles, bath salts, and sugar/salt scrubs. But, I don't know which I should start with! I know I can't start with all of them at once, so I guess I am looking for some advice on which product line would be the most likely to sell well to start off with?

• Like 1

You could pick any one and just start. The only teensy problem with any of those is in the summer months anything with oils, butters and or waxes will melt just like a candle. Salts absorb humidity. Many M&p soaps tend to sweat quite badly with  humidity. You’ll need to figure out packaging solutions to work with your particular conditions. 

It will take some time and testing to be sure how they will do. 

If you’re already working with candles I would add on something that goes with that line like scented salts (there’s a long thread on theceickless forum), refresher oils for salts, clever potpourri, melts etc. much shorter development timeline. 

5 hours ago, pexancrafts said:

I have been making candles for awhile now and selling them (albeit slowly) but now with the summer months in Texas, it is really not good for me to take them to the local flea market. I still want to be able to take something there, however, so I've been looking into start making body products. I've narrowed it down to M&P soaps (can't work with lye with my toddler around), bath bombs, foaming bath truffles, bath salts, and sugar/salt scrubs. But, I don't know which I should start with! I know I can't start with all of them at once, so I guess I am looking for some advice on which product line would be the most likely to sell well to start off with?

4 hours ago, TallTayl said:

You could pick any one and just start. The only teensy problem with any of those is in the summer months anything with oils, butters and or waxes will melt just like a candle. Salts absorb humidity. Many M&p soaps tend to sweat quite badly with  humidity. You’ll need to figure out packaging solutions to work with your particular conditions. 

It will take some time and testing to be sure how they will do. 

If you’re already working with candles I would add on something that goes with that line like scented salts (there’s a long thread on theceickless forum), refresher oils for salts, clever potpourri, melts etc. much shorter development timeline. 

First, I agree with TallTayl. Spend some time to carefully consider which items to take. You could take SOME candles that you can afford to lose if it got really hot and sell them as 'Clearance'? Maybe you could place candle accessories along side the candles as add-on sales? Perhaps candle holders, votive glasses, pillar plates. Things like that.  As we used to say in retail. If it's raining, sell them umbrellas.