CD wick frustration - UGH

Has anyone else had this type of problem with CD tabbed wicks? Or any tabbed wicks? I originally got these wicks from BCN, but these CD wicks are the only ones I have this problem with. It happens with about every 2nd - 3rd container I make - which is WAY too many times! 

What happens is I will straighten the wick after pouring and it will pull completely out of the tab, making it necessary to quickly pour the molten wax into another waiting container. Usually it is only 1 wick, but in this particular container both did it. 

At first I thought it was probably just because I pour my palm wax so hot, but I tried that theory using my zinc, CSN, and HTP wicks in my palm just to test that theory, and the only ones that do it are the CD wicks. So now I'm wondering if I get them from a different supplier, if it'll be any different. 

Any ideas? 

Pic for reference - 

DSC00435.JPG

That happened to me all the time with BCN cd wicks - all the time 

plus they changed the tab height on me with no warning or description and the little stubs just were not safe imo for my jar 

I ditched them and went with candlewic, they are very consistent and it hasn’t happened with them 🤷‍♀️

Edited by moonshine
  • Like 1

21 minutes ago, Jcandleattic said:

Thank you moonshine, that helps a LOT. At least I know it's not just me. 

I think I'll get some from Lonestar with my next order and see if there is an improvement. 

I ordered a CD wick sample pack from Lonestar recently and poured 3 testers last weekend and had no issues so far with them.  I usually give them a decent pull to make sure that the tab stays stuck and doesn't pop loose on me before i pour my palm wax into the jar.

1 hour ago, Ray said:

Had this happen with a few Zinc wicks from Candlewic.

That happened to me with HTPs from Candlewic  too. Never had it happen with wicks from Flaming or Flimore or CS though, so now I only order wicks from them.

That happened to me for a while. Several people on this board advised to give the wick a good tug before sticking them into the jar. If a batch of wicks was not tabbed tightly. I could then use a crimping tool to secure better.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, TallTayl said:

That happened to me for a while. Several people on this board advised to give the wick a good tug before sticking them into the jar. If a batch of wicks was not tabbed tightly. I could then use a crimping tool to secure better.

I always do that and they are fine until I pour the wax in. Which is why I initially thought it could be the hot wax, but it does not happen with any other wicks from any other supplier, only the CD's and only the ones from BCN, and only after the wax is poured. 

Wow, that is horrible that happens!   I have never had that problem.   The only time I got a problem was when I poured hot and the whole wick and tab lifted up off the jar and floated to the surface. Thank God I never pour over 155degrees because I have had wicks come off the jar many a time because I poured hotter.   Now I order my cd 5's and 7's wicks from BC and never had that happen.  The other places I get from...well primarily I get all my things from Flaming...no problem.   Just recently I have ordered from the Bulk because they are the only ones that carry the cd 4's and they were good too.  Lonestar no problem either.  But after reading this post, I will be pulling my wicks taught b/4 I put in jars.  And MOST DEFINITELY YES, the bottoms of the jars HAVE to be SQUEAKY CLEAN before I ever attach a wick.

Trappeur

42 minutes ago, Trappeur said:

But after reading this post, I will be pulling my wicks taught b/4 I put in jars.  And MOST DEFINITELY YES, the bottoms of the jars HAVE to be SQUEAKY CLEAN before I ever attach a wick.

See, I do that, pull them tight before and after putting them in the jars, and before I pour the wax. Maybe I am weakening the attachment somehow and when I pour my hot wax (these are palm candles and I pour close to probably 190+ ish with palm) they come loose? IDK I'm going to try to pour a little cooler, but if I pour palm too cool I lose the crystalization. I need to find that sweet spot and try different wicks. 

I have never had the tab come off the bottom of the jar once secured though. I use the GE silicone sealant or whatever it is for my palm jars. It literally takes me using pliers to pry the tab off once they are set. 

For my paraffin jars, I use wick stickem tabs/dots - whatever, and they have never come loose with that wax either. 

I had that happen years ago with think the htp wicks.  They just weren't crimped good.  After recrimping them they were fine. Just didn't order from that supplier again.  Don't remember company.  I now get all my cd wicks from Flaming and get my 5 from Candle Cocoon.  

14 minutes ago, grama said:

I had that happen years ago with think the htp wicks.  They just weren't crimped good.  After recrimping them they were fine. Just didn't order from that supplier again.  Don't remember company.  I now get all my cd wicks from Flaming and get my 5 from Candle Cocoon.  

Thanks. 

From the sounds of it, I guess I better start re-crimping just to be on the safe side. But I will also order from a different supplier. 

Thanks everyone! 

• 2 months later...
On 6/22/2018 at 5:42 PM, Testing123 said:

whats the best device to use to tighten the tabs?

I just now saw this - so sorry. I use a pair of pliers I stole from my husband and have had in my candle tools for years - I use it when making my own wick assembly, so it would stand to reason to use it to crimp the pre-tabbed assemblies as well. 

• Like 1