Posting pictures...

I have a really cool camera that takes awesome pictures, but none of them are able to be posted to this website.  The files are apparently too big.  Can anyone tell me how I decrease the size of the files so I am able to upload them?  TIA 

You would need to open them in a program like paint, paint.net, gimp or any other photo editing program and shrink the size of the image in that program.  More than likely you camera uses a high resolution so the images file sizes are fairly large.  I shrink the image down roughly 25% at a time till the image is small enough to work.  I also do it in increments like that so i can tell if i am loosing to much detail.  There are probably other ways to do this but that is how i go about it.

• Like 3

Still, the forum takes up to 511MB files, (that's HALF a GB which is HUGE...)

To the GIMP!!! Speaking of GIMP,  it is a WONDERFULLY POWERFUL FREE  open source program that is an INCREDIBLE PITA to use! Unless you apply the free Photoshop skin to it and then it's slightly less of a PITA... Love my GIMP though! 

Here's the download: https://www.gimp.org/downloads/

Here's a good tutorial on how to make GIMP more user friendly: https://lifehacker.com/how-to-make-the-gimp-work-more-like-photoshop-1551318983

Sponiebr
The Executor of Bad Ideas and Sundry Services 

• Like 1

I love gimp for photo edits. It took me a while to figure it out, but now it’s second nature. A bit heavy for simple photo resizing I think. Can’t live without it for graphic design though!

Picasa is also freeware and simple for resizing pics.  Just open and save as  to a smaller size. 

• Like 2

Personally i prefer paint.net for most of my image work tho i don't need anything fancy since i hardly mess with photos much.  It is simple to use which i found a plus.  tho if you really wanna do some fancy things gimp is the better option.

• Like 1