Which Wick?

Hello all,

I'm a bit of a perfectionist (yes, I know....candle making will drive me crazy) but I am having a hard time finding the perfect candle combo.  I've switched from 464 wax because I just couldn't handle the look after it burns to 6006.  While 6006 dries much smoother I'm having trouble wicking it.  I seem to get mushrooms on a lot of different sized wicks and that's just another imperfection I can't handle! Haha.  I used a variety of sizes of the LX series and got mushrooms with all of them.  Does anyone have any suggestions on wicks to use on an 8oz straight sided jar with parasoy 6006?

Unfortunately, I'm just starting out my business and don't have a huge budget to keep trying tons of different wicks, waxes and fragrances! I'm really trying to get this right. 

I also didn't get as much HT as I was expecting with this wax.  I did 1oz fragrance to 1lbs wax......

Any help is much appreciated...Thank you! 

Wick.jpg

Edited by Ashley S

Have you tried any other wick series? Sometimes the ECO series of wicks does better with that wax, especially if you are having an issue with mushrooming. Many suppliers have some sort of sample pack for their wicks. You may want to get samples of a few different series to test and see which ones work the best for you. 

• Like 1

I use mostly zinc wicks with 6006. I'd test 44's.  Zincs are prone to mushrooms, but if you keep your FO load at 6% and make sure they are fully cured, the mushrooming will be significantly less.  CD's also work very well, but I generally prefer zinc for smaller containers.

I used almost all CD wicks in that wax. I used it over 15 years, different suppliers wicks may burn different depending on who tabs them. Mine came from Bitter Creek which uses Wicks Unlimited, for most scents a CD 10 did well. An Eco 2 or 4 may also work well. 

Ok, I ordered some CD's and some Zinc wicks to try out....hopefully this does the trick!  I left two test candles burning for hours with the LX wicks and the mushrooms are insane on them now!! These wicks definitely won't do. 

I've found the LX wicks mushroom in every wax I've tried them in.  In some applications they are the only wicks that burn properly so I deal with the mushrooms.  I personally would rather see a small mushroom than to have the candle smoke and leave black soot.  You may find the perfect combo for 1 scent and it doesn't work with other scents.  You may just get to the point where you ask yourself what isn't going to drive me crazy.  Wouldn't it be nice if all the variables were perfect!  I think we all started where you are with frustrations and wanting everything perfect and soon learned that if you play with soy at all and fragrance oils, it's just not a perfect world.

• Like 3