Layered clamshells

Sebleo

19 hours ago, Sebleo said:

Looking to try layered clams for 4th of july...red, white, and blue. I am using palm wax.

I would love to hear how you do it even if you use another type of wax. 

I don't make clam shells in palm wax at all, because to get the crystallisation I want I have to pour too hot for a clam to handle the heat without melting.  For me, and IMO without the crystallisation, I see no reason to use palm. 

However, when I make layers with my tart blend I pour my first layer, let it completely cool, then my second, etc.,etc.. I do it in the clam shells the same way I do it in my containers or pillars. 

Thank you @Jcandleattic.  I am doing a last minute, for me anyway, event on the 4th and don't have the time to experiment with something new. So, I came up with another way to incorporate the red, white and blue theme. But, I will give it a whirl some other time. Thanks for your input.

Really hard to use palm in clams as said, but if you want to retain color and not worried about crystals, mix 1/2 palm & 1/2 soy (or even of palm) and color, it will color way better and not get those nasty spots.  Or pure palm with very little crystals since you just can't pour at high temps.

• Like 1

@Sebleo, they look great! And I love your creative names too! If you do decide to do layers, please post some pics, I'd love to see!

What temp did you pour those at? I have been making some individual shapes in my silicone molds that look good but the crystallization isn't quite as nice as your clamshells. I'm pouring around 190-180, just because it's small batches and by the time I stir in the FO the temp drops quite a bit. After looking at yours, I'm wondering if I should try harder to pour hot! 😄

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Sarah S said:

@Sebleo, they look great! And I love your creative names too! If you do decide to do layers, please post some pics, I'd love to see!

What temp did you pour those at? I have been making some individual shapes in my silicone molds that look good but the crystallization isn't quite as nice as your clamshells. I'm pouring around 190-180, just because it's small batches and by the time I stir in the FO the temp drops quite a bit. After looking at yours, I'm wondering if I should try harder to pour hot! 😄

Thank you!

I pour small shapes in silicone molds too. I pour those first anywhere between 195 and 200.

I let it cool to around 165 - 170 for the clams.  The clams say they withstand 180 degrees and I believe they do. I poured once at about 183 and the four corners dimpled slightly. 

The trick is to cover them after you pour. I use cardboard boxes, plastic storage containers, and sheet pans. I heat my silicone molds in the oven so they are hot then cover and it slows the cooling process. You can also heat the sheet pans which will slow it down even more. 

• Like 1