WICKING HELP + QUESTION PLEASE

Hello all! 

I’ve been testing Filmore’s Pa’s Tobacco Pipe FO in 464 soy wax for what seems like forever. 

It’s a super heavy FO and you need to wick up. Little did I know how much! 

I started out at a double wicked CD6 and have tested all the way up to a double CD14. 

I’ve never had to go this high for a FO. The most is a CD8. 

So so my question is if the CD14 double wick is working and the flames are not too high and the jar isn’t too hot. Is this acceptable to sell? 

Had anyone else ever run into this issue with a FO? 

Is there an alternative wick that might be better suited to this FO because of the heaviness of it? 

Thank you for any any help or advice you can give 🙏🏻🤗

Just now, jackbenimble said:

@TallTayl- could you recommend a  comparable ECO wick size to a CD6? 

For double wicking in a similar sized container , I started with two eco2 with normal fragrances, or two eco4 with harder to burn.

do you have a smaller container to do a quick test to see if the eco will do the job before jumping to the double? 

For comparison, In single wicked 8oz tins with a c3&415 & 4630 blend 40%:40%:20% last year when the cd16 fizzled itself out, the eco12 was perfect. Normal wick in that blend was cd12.

does this starting point help?

1 hour ago, TallTayl said:

For double wicking in a similar sized container , I started with two eco2 with normal fragrances, or two eco4 with harder to burn.

do you have a smaller container to do a quick test to see if the eco will do the job before jumping to the double? 

For comparison, In single wicked 8oz tins with a c3&415 & 4630 blend 40%:40%:20% last year when the cd16 fizzled itself out, the eco12 was perfect. Normal wick in that blend was cd12.

does this starting point help?

This is great help! Thank you! I don’t have a smaller container that I can test. I will try the eco 2 and eco 4 to start. My system I use is double wicking for my jar type. 

Thank you again! I learned something new today! 

• Thanks 1

Another option if eco don’t quite do it is RRD. RRD are cotton cored, and can sometimes hit that slightly higher temp to throw. You’ll just need to figure out a pair that get the right rate of consumption for your candle. 

I found in my natural waxes, though, that eco have a nicer ROC to balance the burn - meaning my candles didn’t end up with exceptionally deep melt pools and carbon balling. 

Hope you can tame that scent! My unicorn was sweet Amber. It’s so heavy and dense that when I finally hit the right wick I cried. My fave scent ever, but a real challenge to get it to work well with soys. 

@TallTayl

I just tested with Double ECO4 wicks and within an hour the wicks were drowning out. 😞

However my test with double CD14 are good in that the wicks do not drown out. 

In your opinion are these CD14 wicks an option? What are your concerns using them? 

I’ve included some photos durning my 4th year burn. 

2AA80BFF-E623-4804-8D60-D0B0760556EC.jpeg

484AF92F-E818-4F38-9424-98A78D5D9865.jpeg

Just from the second photo, without knowing how long they have been burning, it looks like the wicks can’t keep up with the melt. Rate of consumption is not as high as the melt rate. The pool typically gets deeper and deeper until the whole candle is liquified.

Soywax turns to sludge below the clear melt pool, so there’s no support for those wicks and more. 

Those flames looks pretty though. Is the container hot to the touch above the melt pool?

Coreless, non-rigid wicks, like cd,  can start to lean and slump (or sag) in deep melt pools and their wax coating melts away. Then the flames get even tinier as the wick sinks from its own weight. I’ve totally lost wicks as they sank below the molten abyss.