Cost of Freight

Quentin

I started making candles this past summer of 2017. I started to keep financial records in January. Year to date (starting Jan. 1) I figure my percentage of freight costs is about 12% of the total I've spent. The total includes everything, items that had freight charges, items that had free shipping or that I bought at retail stores. 12% seems a little high to me. Is it?:unsure:

12% seems pretty low to me. I'm happy when I can get shipping under 25% the total cost of my order. With the places that I pick up from and others that offer shipping deals, I'd estimate my total freight costs at around 15%. But that's just an estimate.

• Thanks 1

12 hours ago, Quentin said:

The total includes everything, items that had freight charges, items that had free shipping or that I bought at retail stores.

4 hours ago, Sarah S said:

12% seems pretty low to me. I'm happy when I can get shipping under 25% the total cost of my order. With the places that I pick up from and others that offer shipping deals, I'd estimate my total freight costs at around 15%. But that's just an estimate.

Thanks. Glad to hear that I'm somewhat in line.:smile:

I agree with Sarah that 12% of total freight costs ytd is super low. I think when I did my end of year cost estimates in 2016 and 2017 (when I had to start shipping EVERYTHING because Peak screwed so many of us) my total shipping was somewhere around 20-25 % total cost. (If I'm remembering right - I'd have to look at my actual balance sheets to know for sure and they are at home with my financials) 

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
42 minutes ago, Lighten Up said:

My next jar order is going to put my total at about 25% shipping.

The shipping on glassware seems to be the real killer. To add injury to insult, you also have the breakage factor there. You lose the shipping war on two fronts. I'm starting to see my % of freight creeping upward.

Q

20 hours ago, Quentin said:

The shipping on glassware seems to be the real killer. To add injury to insult, you also have the breakage factor there. You lose the shipping war on two fronts. I'm starting to see my % of freight creeping upward.

Q

Yes, I have to order by the pallet to get my shipping down to that.

I've had only a couple minor issues with breakage and they were addressed by the carrier. Once the pallet wasn't secured to the truck and the entire order slid around all over, even coming off the pallet, not much breakage there, but a pain to unload.

• Like 1