Ocean Sunset

I tried to make this one look like waves were crashing up against the seashells, and I painted the seashells with gold mica for a contrast. 

The scent is Pink Sugar, Ocean, and a bit of blue cabri/volcano. It looked great IMO and smells awesome. The blue was/is the exact blue I wanted, even though I had to add more than I thought I would so it wouldn't be grey. (it's a mix of Mermaid and Violet micas from Mad Micas, and (a lot) Ultramarine Blue. 

However, due to it being about 100° here (even though my lab is fairly cool) and me not taking into consideration the FO heat, I still loosely wrapped with a light towel, but thought I'd check on it about an hour later. 

Sad Sauce! :( It overheated, almost volcanoed, and melted the M&P (it was a homemade M&P not my typical or it would have been FINE! UGH) and it melted the gold mica off. 

Tonight when I get home I will see what I can do to fix it, but the wave peak is gone, and you can't really tell the embeds are seashells. LOL But it smells good!!! LOL 

I'll take another pic of what it looks like before I "fix" it, and if I can make it look decent, an "after the fix" pic. :) 

20180610_171426.jpg

• Like 6

Wow Jane!   As always, your soaps are stunning!  Truly works of art!    And you know what?  My honest opinion is I wouldn't even touch that soap....I know, I know, we are our own worst critics, I'm one of them too.......but you know even with some of the gold coming off the seashells, they really look perfect...A shell is natural and that is what I see there.  And it sure does look like the waves coming over the shells.....Just beautiful....but you are the soap artisan and even with my opinion I know what ever you do will turn out beautiful....so what do I know?  I'm just a soap admirier.....That scent sounds amazing.....!

Trappeur:thumbsup2:

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Trappeur said:

Wow Jane!   As always, your soaps are stunning!  Truly works of art!    And you know what?  My honest opinion is I wouldn't even touch that soap....I know, I know, we are our own worst critics, I'm one of them too.......but you know even with some of the gold coming off the seashells, they really look perfect...A shell is natural and that is what I see there.  And it sure does look like the waves coming over the shells.....Just beautiful....but you are the soap artisan and even with my opinion I know what ever you do will turn out beautiful....so what do I know?  I'm just a soap admirier.....That scent sounds amazing.....!

Trappeur:thumbsup2:

HAHA That's the pic before things went awry! :)  But thank you. 

Thanks all for the compliments on the above pic. Here are the "after catastrophe" pics though. 

First, what it looked like after the overheating - as you can see the wave fell, the m&p melted, and the gold for the most part looks horrid... :( fix.thumb.jpg.f5b579f6063659adf4a07ffccf173b10.jpg

Then I tried to fix it, by removing the melted pool of m&p, and redoing the gold mica. Okay, but not great at all - 83875560_fix2.thumb.jpg.52470318c2348286ac13a1a224d8a39d.jpg

And then there is the cut - BLEH. I like the cut better than the fixed pic, but it's still drab. 

128455678_fixcut.thumb.jpg.b74bdba2ed37f60299b75f7c57629ebb.jpg

Also, because it overheated, it has that ammonia smell to it like you get when you scorch gm with lye. (there is no milk in this soap!!) So we'll see what it smells like after the cure. 

(also, sorry the pics are so big, took these with my iPad, and had to do some manipulating to get them on my PC - it's a whole big ordeal! LOL) 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Jcandleattic said:

HAHA That's the pic before things went awry! :)  But thank you. 

lol.....oh my gosh....well, I may know nothing about soap making but I can pick out a pretty beautiful piece of work like it was originally! ha!

oh.....so sorry bout what happened.....oh well, it's all going down the drain anyway....right? ha ha.....I know you'll get it right on the next round.....:)

Trappeur

• Like 1

😭😭😭

It sure was gorgeous to start!  

But really after the cut they still look good! It's a lovely blue, and it sounds like the fragrance and the color compliment each other beautifully. And the gold really pops!

I hope the ammonia smell cures out! That's happened to me a few times. I almost panicked and threw out my first batch of yogurt soap, lol. Thank goodness I let it sit, but it did take a couple weeks! 😆

• Like 1

Well...Im not a soap guy haha...but your's looks like a work of art!  Do customers use it, or keep it as an art piece?  I think if it was me, I would like to display it rather than hide it away in the shower.  Looks great to me!

16 hours ago, Gary in Canada said:

Well...Im not a soap guy haha...but your's looks like a work of art!  Do customers use it, or keep it as an art piece?  I think if it was me, I would like to display it rather than hide it away in the shower.  Looks great to me!

When I hear people at my shows say that, I tell them to buy 2, one to use and 1 for a display, and when the display starts fading in scent and/or looks, use it and come back for more! 

You'd be surprised how many times that actually works. (I was surprised the first half dozen times myself!) 

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Jcandleattic said:

When I hear people at my shows say that, I tell them to buy 2, one to use and 1 for a display, and when the display starts fading in scent and/or looks, use it and come back for more! 

You'd be surprised how many times that actually works. (I was surprised the first half dozen times myself!) 

Actually that's a good idea... I remember when I was a kid (a few years ago lol)..my grandmother always had a display of decorative soaps in the washroom..they were for decorative purposes, not to be used...  But after a while they would all be dusty and old looking.. She could have used your advice!  I think I might take a closer look next time I see decorative looking soaps.