How do you cut 4794?

I just got a slab of 4794 to make melts with and I’m wondering if there is a good to cut it. On my first attempt all I managed to do was break off a chunk; fortunately it was exactly the amount I needed. Perhaps a saw is what I need.

1 minute ago, Forrest said:

I just got a slab of 4794 to make melts with and I’m wondering if there is a good to cut it. On my first attempt all I managed to do was break off a chunk; fortunately it was exactly the amount I needed. Perhaps a saw is what I need.

Hammer and chisel? :laugh2: Sorry could not resist after reading the saw part of the post.  Have you tried a good putty knife?

1 hour ago, ncraiders said:

Hammer and chisel? :laugh2: Sorry could not resist after reading the saw part of the post.  Have you tried a good putty knife?

Close! I use a flat head screwdriver and mallet. Better yet, melt a slab and pour into smaller sizes for easier use. Silicone cupcake molds work well. 

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, TallTayl said:

Close! I use a flat head screwdriver and mallet. Better yet, melt a slab and pour into smaller sizes for easier use. Silicone cupcake molds work well. 

I have a tool that is half way between a screwdriver and a putty knife, I also have a rubber mallet. I could put it in the freezer for a while and then drop it on the garage floor. 

1 minute ago, Forrest said:

I have a tool that is half way between a screwdriver and a putty knife, I also have a rubber mallet. I could put it in the freezer for a while and then drop it on the garage floor. 

I wouldn't drop it on the garage floor you might pick up dust or other debris on the wax.

read on a website were in a review someone said they score it and use a jigsaw to cut it into smaller bricks.  They put a tote under it to catch  the little flakes/specks fo wax so they dont waste any of it.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Forrest said:

I could put it in the freezer for a while and then drop it on the garage floor. 

No real need to freeze it unless it's already a bit soft. 

2 hours ago, ncraiders said:

Hammer and chisel?

That's how I break up my solid wax slabs. I used to drop it on the driveway cement until my S.W.A.T. neighbor thought it was a gunshot and came out with his gun pulled. LOL 

• Haha 3

3 minutes ago, Jcandleattic said:

That's how I break up my solid wax slabs. I used to drop it on the driveway cement until my S.W.A.T. neighbor thought it was a gunshot and came out with his gun pulled. LOL 

:laugh2:  That is just the best.  I got a really good laugh out of that.

8 hours ago, Jcandleattic said:

That's how I do it! Put it in a (clean) garbage bag and slam it in the drive way. My husband is the SWAT neighbor, so I figure I'm ok. 😆

If it doesn't break up enough, I'll get out the chisel, but I still do that in the driveway too because I'm clumsy and I'll definitely end up chiseling things that shouldn't be chiseled..😂

• Like 1

2 hours ago, runner14jc said:

Has anyone ever tried using a hot knife to cut it? Something I've been thinking about trying but didn't know if anyone else has tried it before? Something like this, https://www.amazon.com/Walnut-Hollow-Professional-Cutting-Stencils/dp/B003GXF4EK

I tried that once and it did not work too great for me.  Hammer and chisel work faster.

5 hours ago, runner14jc said:

Has anyone ever tried using a hot knife to cut it? Something I've been thinking about trying but didn't know if anyone else has tried it before? Something like this, https://www.amazon.com/Walnut-Hollow-Professional-Cutting-Stencils/dp/B003GXF4EK

4794 is too thick and hard for a hot knife to work. A hot knife would work better on the J waxes, 6006, gel, or some of the softer waxes that aren't flakes, but aren't hard wax either. 

• 6 months later...

back when I used to get slab wax I put it in a large plastic bin similar to barbaranj. Then just whack it a few times with a hammer to break it into smaller chunks. There was something sort of soothing about whacking away at something hard with a hammer guilt free. :naughty: 

• Haha 1