Hi everyone, new candle maker here!  I would love to get your opinions on wax's and wick's.  I've read through a lot of the forums already and can't seem to find the answers I'm looking for.  Basically I'd love to stay away from Paraffin if possible but soy is not giving me the hot throw I'd like.  With my brand I do want to strive for a very good hot throw.  Can you please let me know what wax and wick combo you've found best for a mostly natural, great hot throw candle?  I'm using 8oz, straight sided, glass jars with my candles.

Thank you! 

I've been purchasing from CandleScience- Fragrance from there, GB 464, Eco 12 wick.  I'm finding the hot throw isn't very strong for a lot of the scents and unfortunately the wax dries with a lot of bubbles/pockets after burning. 

12 minutes ago, Ashley S said:

I've been purchasing from CandleScience- Fragrance from there, GB 464, Eco 12 wick.  I'm finding the hot throw isn't very strong for a lot of the scents and unfortunately the wax dries with a lot of bubbles/pockets after burning. 

Ok, good start! How much FO are you using? And which. Some throw more easily than others. 

For that wax and container, eco12 is quite large.

Soy always looks strange when cooling. When too hot, soy wax can look even more so.

i would pick up a couple of their sample packs of wicks in eco, cd and or CSN and experiment to find the one(s) that work best in your configuration. Many people use 464 and Candlescience fo successfully. It just takes a bit of time to find that right combo for you. 

I'm thinking in in that jar you would need to start with a cd 8/cd 10 depending in that wax, 464.   CS has beautiful oils and I have used CS for years.  Even with the problems we are all having with the reformulations of 464 wax and others, you can still make a beautiful candle with the right fragrance oil. DO make sure you cure 464 minimum 2 WEEKS....(very important) Good throwers for me are:

Fraser Fir

Peach Nectar

Macintosh Apple

Christmas Hearth

Lemon Verbena

Apple Maple Bourbon

Apple Harvest 

Banana Nut Bread

Blue Spruce

Chardonnay

Coriander and Tonka

Hazelnut Coffee

Gardenia

Honeydew Melon

Honeysuckle

Rain Water

Trappeur

• Like 1

Thank you so much!

Another questions.....my 464 is drying like this after burning.  Is there any way I can improve how it dries as it's not very appealing for customers?

*I was just testing this fragrance in the tin, but I would stick with using the 8 oz jars. 

candle tops 2.jpg

• Like 1

Welcome to soy wax. 

Sometimes adding another wax like palm or paraffin can help that appearance. But then you need to start testing all over from the beginning with each modification. Every additive changes the performance of the candle.