Bottlenose Bottleneck.

Sponiebr

Ok, 

I'll admit it. I'm being "slightly" lazy here. So after my single failed attempt at finding an answer on THIS forum I shall ask the community. 

So, how do you blend FO's so that you can get a sense of what they will smell like in a product WHILE you are blending them? In other words, you're trying for a target scent and you don't want to actually make a test batch of something until you really get "close" to the actual scent you are after, HOW or WHAT do you use to try the scent out? Paper strips ain't doing jack piddle for me. Do you have like a huge tub of crisco sitting around that you grab X oz and mix to sniff? DO you use one of them little boiler thang-a-ma-widgets what you boil up potpourri in with them redunkulous little candles? 

I've got BAD CASE OF OOB-nose... 

I'm actually a tad confused here... (not that it's a terribly hard thing to do to me lately...) 

HAY-EL-P? 

Sponiebr
The executor of "I dunno, I'm sure it's useful... maybe..." 

Scents for what application? 

If for heated, like candles or melts, a few drops on salt on a melter does a decent job. Or a blob of wax on the warmer the. Drops of the fo until I like the combo.

For soap, that’s a different animal sinc ethe high pH of soap changes things... what I just finished a few days ago was Dixie cups with 2oz of scent each to test new bottles. Managed to get 14 done in one go. Then I can put together cups in different combos to sniff. If I like some, I’ll smush blobs together and set aside to sniff again later. 

• Like 1

The only way to test for soap is to put it in soap, right?  I test when I am making a normal batch of soap by adding in enough additional oils, etc. to fill a mold cavity or two, pour that amount off separately at emulsion, scent it with whatever I am testing, and pour it into the mold. I figured out the math for that in soap calc a long time ago.  Makes it super easy for me to test a new scent while I'm already making soap.  

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, ellajoan said:

@TallTayl, do you just use regular table salt?  Does the scent actually throw that way?  I've never tried this method before and want to for a few blends.  I've tried the cotton swabs in the baggie method w/ little success.

Yup! Any salt seems to work. There’s a thread on it somewhere I’ll look for. 

You can leave the salt in a dish as potpourri or on a wax warmer. Large crystal solar salt for water softeners is super pretty. You can color with food coloring or mica. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, TallTayl said:

For soap, that’s a different animal sinc ethe high pH of soap changes things... what I just finished a few days ago was Dixie cups with 2oz of scent each to test new bottles. Managed to get 14 done in one go. Then I can put together cups in different combos to sniff. If I like some, I’ll smush blobs together and set aside to sniff again later. 

Yeah it's for soap, but I do hot process so the scents tend to remain exactly as they go into the pot. They do suffer a little fade from the heat but generally they stay pretty close to the original. SPEAKING of this... I need to get something wicked high in vanillin to try an experiment out, I think I've got some of Peak's Pink Sugar... That's got gobs of vanillin in it, right?  I'm looking for a guaranteed brownie... 

I dip q tips in the oil and put them in a jar. Walk away for a few minutes...open it up and take a whiff. Add more q tips if necessary.  When it is where I want it, I know how many parts of each fragrance. Rough estimates of course. 

• Like 1