That ONE Customer...

Who claims they cannot smell your candle while burning
although it's
A. been one of your top - sellers for years
B.you have tested every possible issue this scent could pose... eg: Clove, wicking, cure time, etc. etc.
C. you personally burn this in your own home and are quite confident in it's performance

That being said, I pulled one from my inventory (same batch- 8 oz. jar) to burn and guess what ?  I can smell it ALL over my house !
The mailman even smelled it up the walkway and complimented on how our home always smells so fabulous :)  
 So why do we, as makers of fragrant products, always seem to doubt ourselves when something like this happens ? 
Just wondered if I'm the only (crazy) one that hits the panic button over the little things ?

I know things to consider are room size, drafts, AC / fans and smoking all play a part in the HT, but some folks look at you like you have 3-heads when you explain this to them...kind of the same way when you try to educate them on proper candle maintenance .

I definitely hit the panic button when 2 coworkers told me they wished my melts lasted longer. After playing 20 questions I figured out both left their warmer on 24/7.

• Like 1
  • Confused 2

6 minutes ago, Sebleo said:

I definitely hit the panic button when 2 coworkers told me they wished my melts lasted longer. After playing 20 questions I figured out both left their warmer on 24/7.

Yeah if you leave one on that long no matter who makes them they won't last all that long.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Sebleo said:

Oh yes, I've had those folks as well.
Not everyone's warmer is the same, some have a hotter bulb that'll burn up the scent even faster. 
All you can really do is give them an estimate based on your own personal use , and explain how different warmers may affect  how long a fragrance will last.

Edited by chevcher
  • Like 3

Some people are nose blind to some scents.  I have that issue with some of mine.  I just can't smell them but others can very well. Now, I don't make candles but soap, scrubs etc.   I've had quite a few customers not be able to smell some scents but I can as can others.  So, it's something with the olfactory sensors in our nose/brain I'm thinking. 

3 hours ago, Shari said:

Some people are nose blind to some scents.  I have that issue with some of mine.  I just can't smell them but others can very well. Now, I don't make candles but soap, scrubs etc.   I've had quite a few customers not be able to smell some scents but I can as can others.  So, it's something with the olfactory sensors in our nose/brain I'm thinking. 

Very true. I just gave a sample to a coworker that is a huge hit with everyone.  She says she can barely smell it. 

Happens at home with hubs and I. Some that I can smell through out the whole house and he has to walk up to the warmer and smell it! 

• Like 1

Different noses don't pick up certain scents, my husband barely smells anything.  I always have to even check out the meat in the fridge to see if still good, he can't even smell rotten!

I do ask my customers to walk outside for several minutes and then come back into the house/room where burning.  Sometimes they just need to clear their sinuses to smell again.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

My mom had to ask me the other day if her wax melts still had scent to them as she could hardly smell them..I had walked out of my room and smelled it before i got to her room.  She asked me again 2 days ago and i told her that it was finally loosing scent.  She has it on for so long at a time she goes nose blind to it till she leaves for a while.  This is also another thing i had to explain to her as at first she thought they weren't lasting to long.

• Like 1

I keep coffee in a small container on my table at shows so people can clear their passage ways to smell more.   It usually works when they become nose blind from smelling too many fragrances at once.  

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/5/2018 at 12:51 PM, Shari said:

I keep coffee in a small container on my table at shows so people can clear their passage ways to smell more.   It usually works when they become nose blind from smelling too many fragrances at once.  

I do the same at my shows, because some folks get really crazy huffing candles !
Especially the ones that stick their entire face in the jars 🤣

• Haha 1

On 6/5/2018 at 10:51 AM, Shari said:

People swear by this working, but I've never noticed much difference in being able to smell anything after sniffing coffee beans to clear my sense of smell. If I can't smell something, only time will bring it back for me. 

• Like 1

I'm always confident in what I sell, but when I have a complaint, I just politely offer a refund or another product of the same value. I never make excuses, or let it make me crazy because...well....people are people. I've had that happen with incense, and I also had the knowledge that the scent they claimed was "weak"...and the new one I presented to them (which they were happy with) came from the VERY SAME batch! Go figure!

Which clove scent do you use, might I ask? I used to use Peak's "Red Clove" in candles years back, but have not bothered to make any in incense. I'd like to put some clove scented incense in the bins :)

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Hopie said:

Which clove scent do you use, might I ask? I used to use Peak's "Red Clove" in candles years back, but have not bothered to make any in incense. I'd like to put some clove scented incense in the bins :)

I use Bittercreek's and The Candle Source, both are super strong and smell like fresh ground cloves

4 hours ago, chevcher said:

I use Bittercreek's and The Candle Source, both are super strong and smell like fresh ground cloves

Those sound nice. I personally love the scent of clove. I can do a small, 1 lb batch to test and see if my customers like them.

• Like 1

Oooooooooo, I just got a sample of clove oil from Flaming Candle yesterday (forgot I even ordered it!), and it's simply DIVINE! Just poured it in wax, can't wait to try this with incense. Has a very strong clove scent, with a hint of "sweet"....I liken it to the "old days" of clove cigarettes, lol! 

• Like 1

On June 22, 2018 at 5:29 PM, Hopie said:

Oooooooooo, I just got a sample of clove oil from Flaming Candle yesterday (forgot I even ordered it!), and it's simply DIVINE! Just poured it in wax, can't wait to try this with incense. Has a very strong clove scent, with a hint of "sweet"....I liken it to the "old days" of clove cigarettes, lol! 

I know what's going in my cart next Flaming order!! 😄 Thanks Hopie!

• Haha 1

I had ordered two other Clove scents from other companies, but they were inadequate. THIS one is....OMG....I don't know how long I can hold off burning it! I keep thinking about it, LOL! Guess I should get to pouring so I won't go light this bugger! 

Incense FLEW off my tables this past weekend, so I'd better get to ordering a lb. of this clove so I can introduce it asap! I need one wick size, as well...so that's my excuse to order again :)

• Like 1

@Hopie, if you're interested in a really unique incense fragrance, try a sample of Flaming's Supernova dupe. It's a little fruity, a little musky, a little clean... It's my eldest daughter's favorite fragrance for shampoo, and it happens to make a smashing incense, especially for the summer months. I haven't gotten it to throw well in paraffin, but I'm thinking I might give it a go in palm. Supernova isn't a huge seller for me, but I like it enough as a change of pace for my personal stash to keep a big bottle on hand.

You know, while you're putting in that order. 😉

Sorry I totally derailed the original topic! ☺️

• Thanks 1

On 6/22/2018 at 5:29 PM, Hopie said:

Good to know.  I am looking for a good clove FO.