HELP PLEASE 6006 wicking & FO

I  want to start making vandlesso bought 5 pds of 6006 and sample wicks Premier and Cd

Poured into  2   8 oz tins

Used 10 oz of wax so each had 5 oz filled to marked rim of tin

Added 1 oz of Orange Spice from Flaming to the 10 oz.

I also put in 1/4 tsp vybar

Melted to 180 added FO and poured

Let set 4 days and tested one today with CD 18

very nice burn but No Hot Trow and the cold throw very light.

What am I doing wrong.

i did the same with another scent Lavender Sandlewood but did NOT put in vybar and it has a light cold throw scent but have not yet used a wick.

Edited by karinz40
spelling

Did you read our replies to your previous post? Your candles need an additional cure.

6006 is a pre-blended wax and does not need additional additives, so the vybar is only locking up your fragrance. We have a great vybar discussion going a few threads down.

I suggest browsing the forum and gathering some information, and you will have a much better grasp on what's going on with your candles.

1 hour ago, karinz40 said:

I  want to start making vandlesso bought 5 pds of 6006 and sample wicks Premier and Cd

Poured into  2   8 oz tins

Used 10 oz of wax so each had 5 oz filled to marked rim of tin

Added 1 oz of Orange Spice from Flaming to the 10 oz.

I also put in 1/4 tsp vybar

Melted to 180 added FO and poured

Let set 4 days and tested one today with CD 18

very nice burn but No Hot Trow and the cold throw very light.

What am I doing wrong.

i did the same with another scent Lavender Sandlewood but did NOT put in vybar and it has a light cold throw scent but have not yet used a wick.

I use 6006 but I don't add anything to it so I can't speak to that part of your recipe. 

That seems to be a very large wick for that size container.  I use a CD 10 in the 8 oz tins when I make them for tester candles for my customer and that burns great.  

Ditch they vybar and back it down to 6-7% FO.  As for HT, might need a longer cure, or might just not be a good FO for that wax.  Lavender Sandalwood...I made melts with that some time ago and didn't get a stellar throw in a 6006/4625 blend.

• 1 month later...

I disagree with cure time. A couple days is usually plenty for 6006 but it doesn't hurt to wait longer if you want.

Your biggest issue is the wick. That wick size is awfully large for your container. Heck, you may be burning off half your scent with that wick.

Back that down several sizes.

Also, that vybar you are adding is trapping your scent. 6006 is pre-blended with vybar already.  You need 0 vybar in 6006.

So get rid of that entirely.

Finally... something else to try. Increase your melt to about 190 and then add your FO at 185. Temp drops as soon as you start adding FO. If you pulling off heat at 180, then starting to add FO. you could easily be around 170 by the time you are really mixing it in. Many FOs dont blend well until they are 180-185. My standard practice is melt to 190-195, pull from heat and add dye if applicable. Add FO at or just below 185. Pour at 170

You also could be getting weak throw because of the FO's you are using. Try some Mac Apple or something very common and use that as your baseline. 

I've never used either scent you are using but perhaps they are just super light.

Hope this helps.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Cd18? Yeah that’s a heckuva big wick for a tin. Too hot of a wick can diminish any hope for HT. Tins get extremely hot by the middle, so that nice first burn will quickly become far too much. 

And as written. Vybar can definitely trap scent. 

I'm not sure what the problem is, but I can tell you how I would do it. I would skip the Vybar, heat my wax to 190, add my FO and stir for at least one minute. I would use a CD8, and I would wait at least a week before I burned them. You didn't mention stirring; my recent experience tell me if you don't stir enough to get the wax and FO properly blended you get poor HT; I don't necessarily follow the two minute rule, but I make sure the wax and FO are well blended. My process may not be the best one, but it is all based on the things I learned from the helpful experts on this board.   

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Cure time also has to consider the vessel size,  material and a,bent temps. 

The biger the contNer, the longer it takes for that middle part to fully reach its final consistency.  Ever poke around a freshly made candle with a skewer? Or chunked out one that was not wicked right? The middle can stay relatively soft for several days. This relative softness changes the burn since the wick flame will melt more deeply in the softer wax than usual.