6006 cure time

16 hours ago, LittleMissSunshine said:

I am finding that 6006 is pretty easy to over-wick. I'm using 9oz straight-sided jars which are about 2.75" wide I think? I forget now. I started testing with CD-12s, then 10s, then 8s, now 7s. And by half to 2/3 of the way down it is a torch that gets WAY too big and hot. To the point that it actually stops throwing mid-burn.  I will be testing CD-6's next and hoping that is small enough lol. 

I know what you're talking about. the first time I tried CD's I looked at the wick chart and bought 18, 16, & 14, I'm lucky I didn't burn my house down. I've settled in to a CD8 in that container. My new philosophy is to start small and work my way up.

• Thanks 1

On 6/16/2018 at 10:45 AM, karinz40 said:

I also was burning the same fo in 8 oz tin with Premier 725 and the same thing happened, MP was just about the same so thinking the wicks are very very similar

Still sad.  I know it's hot here but should that really happen??

You still have time to get these candles right. As I understand it, the tins are notorious for being hard to wick. That doesn't mean it's impossible, just trial and error. I would certainly down wick according to what you've been testing, and take another few shots at it.  If you don't have a lot invested in the wax, you can, by all means, discard it and try another wax/container/wick combination. 

The "journey" of candle making can be a frustrating one, but when you "hit the jackpot" of having all of the essential elements of a beautiful, perfectly scented and even burning candle, the reward is a lovely thing :)

I am also in Arizona and I certainly believe that with our temperatures and ultra dry air, a lot of "down wicking" needs to be considered. I deliberately start off by trying to under wick a candle at first, then go up a notch if necessary. Just think, after awhile, you'll have quite the wick collection on hand to test other containers and not have to wait for the new ones to arrive. (ask me how I know!) :lol:

• Thanks 1

On 6/17/2018 at 1:03 PM, Forrest said:

My new philosophy is to start small and work my way up.

I'm going to tape this to my forehead.

A philosophy that applies to more than wicks, I think.

Edited by Linda P
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

• 4 weeks later...

I've used 6006 for years and these extra long cure times of like 2 weeks is just not necessary. Sure... you MAY get a i bit more noticeable HT or CT after they sit longer, or it may be because you spent time away from the candle and not used to it.

My test results have never been different after a couple days vs a couple weeks, especially with wicking.

It is mostly parrafin after all.  Ive reached out to manufactures and distributors before and asked about cure times.. and most laugh at the idea of letting cure for a couple weeks.

Most say 2 days is plenty. Just my two cents. If you notice otherwise, then go with what you think. For me... a couple or few days has always worked fine.

• Thumbs Up 1

• 2 months later...
On 6/7/2018 at 4:06 PM, lightmyfire said:

I think that's just on the 1 oz but I loaded up!  Those are great for making melts since I need an ounce for 4-5.  I'm excited to try the carrot cake!  Read the reviews that say the buyer used the scent in wax-you'll get a good idea of which are good throwers

Whos' Carrot Cake are you referring to + how was it ? 

On 5/29/2018 at 8:07 PM, Testing123 said:

I know a candle company who attaches a "do not burn until certain date" notice on their candles

Here's my thoughts on that. I have seen that before or read about that and to me it's a waste of time to say that. And it seems real weird to me. LOL. I seriously doubt, in most cases, that a customer will wait to burn their candle. You're giving them something to complain about, either because they have to wait or because they burned it right away and the scent throw is actually or perceived to be weak.

• Like 1

On 7/17/2018 at 1:47 PM, wthomas57 said:

I've used 6006 for years and these extra long cure times of like 2 weeks is just not necessary. Sure... you MAY get a i bit more noticeable HT or CT after they sit longer, or it may be because you spent time away from the candle and not used to it.

My test results have never been different after a couple days vs a couple weeks, especially with wicking.

It is mostly parrafin after all.  Ive reached out to manufactures and distributors before and asked about cure times.. and most laugh at the idea of letting cure for a couple weeks.

Most say 2 days is plenty. Just my two cents. If you notice otherwise, then go with what you think. For me... a couple or few days has always worked fine.

If you've recently bought 6006 wax have you noticed any issues with HT ? Ive read on here and on a few reviews from suppliers that the HT isn't as good ? Id appreciate your thoughts on this .

10 minutes ago, Moonstar said:

If you've recently bought 6006 wax have you noticed any issues with HT ? Ive read on here and on a few reviews from suppliers that the HT isn't as good ? Id appreciate your thoughts on this .

I just purchased 6006 from Lonestar and it seems just fine

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, Moonstar said:

I buy mine from both Candle Science and Lonestar. I haven't noticed issues with either to this point. 

Sometimes I have a harder time noticing scent, but that is from candle nose more than anything ya know. I am around fragrance so much that you get used to it. So I usually ask someone else or put it in a room I am not around and then go check periodically. Its always better than I think it is.

I will say that I have no issues with 6006 and certain fragrance. Generally if I find a weak fragrance, then its weak in any wax I use.  I really love using 3022, maybe more than 6006... but I find it less forgiving on Fragrances. Ill have more fragrance issues with 3022 than I do 6006.. more so the more I use each. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, wthomas57 said:

I buy mine from both Candle Science and Lonestar. I haven't noticed issues with either to this point. 

Sometimes I have a harder time noticing scent, but that is from candle nose more than anything ya know. I am around fragrance so much that you get used to it. So I usually ask someone else or put it in a room I am not around and then go check periodically. Its always better than I think it is.

I will say that I have no issues with 6006 and certain fragrance. Generally if I find a weak fragrance, then its weak in any wax I use.  I really love using 3022, maybe more than 6006... but I find it less forgiving on Fragrances. Ill have more fragrance issues with 3022 than I do 6006.. more so the more I use each. 

Thanks so much ! By chance have you tried lonestars Crounut have you ? 

51 minutes ago, Moonstar said:

Thanks so much ! By chance have you tried lonestars Crounut have you ? 

I have tried the Sugared Cronut from Lonestar; it's wonderful!  Not too sweet--just enough bakery notes to make it inviting but not over the top

• Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, lightmyfire said:

I have tried the Sugared Cronut from Lonestar; it's wonderful!  Not too sweet--just enough bakery notes to make it inviting but not over the top

Thanks ! You know how it goes 

im deciding between that and FB 

Cinnamon Sugar Donut lol! 

HELP !!!!!!  

• Haha 1

• 2 years later...
On 6/7/2018 at 12:47 PM, karinz40 said:

So my 8 oz tin is aprox 3 inches across.  I'm really sorry I bought the 6006, didn't know this would be so tricky. I should have gone with my first thought of 4625 but did not want to have to break it up.  Also the 606  was supposed to have an excellent scent throw. So the scent comes from the wick or the melt pool of wax? confused on that one.  When I smelled the Lavender Sandlewood in the bottle it smelled pretty strong to me. I guess it's hard to really tell from the bottle.  I like strong scents

Sand wood from Aztec is very strong.  I get a great Ht no matter what wax I use. Can still smell long after candle is out.   I’m having a problem with new batch of 6006 grrrr