Testing CBL 125 - Need Help

Started testing CBL125  last week when I read recent threads on this forum. I will say that it truly throws better than any wax I have tested over the last three years. I little background - I use libby status jars - 3.25" diameter 12 oz. I started testing with zinc wicks and htp. I used a zinc 44-24-18 and a htp-104 for starters, liquid yellow dye (just enough to tint the wax and 6% Grapefruit and Mangosteen from CS. If you have not tried this scent do so. Light, citrusy and great in this wax.

Did four 3-4 hours burns. Both had very slight mushrooms after the first burn. The HTP took about the third burn to 'catch up'. The wick leaned and started burning unevenly but decent. There was a little residual soot on the jar on the last couple burns. The zinc had no soot but never really caught up but burned evenly and steady. So I poured more test candles this time with only zinc wicks testing Fresh Coffee, Monkey Farts, Sea Salt and Orchid and Coconut Lime Verbena. Rather 'light' scents with the exception of the Fresh Coffee. I bumped up to 44-32-18 and 51-32-18 to test each scent. 

My first burn, all in different rooms, yielded MAJOR mushrooming on ALL wicks. Still using 6% FO with very scarce liquid dye. All of this background to ask ...will over wicking  cause mushrooms? How much mushrooming is acceptable. I personally hate them but these candle smell amazing. Should I continue the testing...go back down a wick size..decrease FO %. Just a little lost as to what to do next. Thanks for any input as always!!!

I use this wax with zincs,  I think you probably are spot on with the 51 zinc and this jar.  How long was your first burn that created all this mushrooming.  You will get mushrooming with zincs, but if you are getting a clean burn and excellent scent throw just embrace it.  I use this wax  , wick combo and have never had a complaint about mushrooming.

@coachtom, I am so glad you are liking the CBL 125!! And your fragrance choices sound wonderful, I'll have to check out the grapefruit and mangosteen, I have a good friend who is crazy for their grapefruit mint.

I don't use zincs, but I have heard they are notorious for mushrooms. With any wick, mushrooming can happen if over or under wicked, and there are some fragrances that cause it as well. I can't seem to get any Amber wicked without shrooms, or any bourbon/rum fragrance. I think @cindym is right on with assessing the burn and just not worring about it if everything else is on point.

HTPs can definitely get a swerve on, especially toward the end of the burn. I aim for a shallow melt pool to help avoid that, but depending on the size of the container it's not always possible. Again, I try to look at the burn overall and decide if everything is even enough to melt down without problems, and if the lean is causing too much sooting on one side. When burning my candles for myself, I dip the wick in the opposite direction of the lean when putting it out, and that helps a lot. But I can't rely on consumers doing the same. 😕

I think 6% FO is very reasonable with the 125, I actually use 7% with most fragrances, so I don't think that's an issue. 

Try a couple power burns at some point just to see what happens. It might be different with the zincs, but at about the 4-5 hour mark my HTPs can start to get big and ugly. I know a lot of people that will burn a candle for 6 hours at a time, so I like to see what they do, and either decide to under wick a tad or be adamant about warning people to trim.

Thanks for reaching out Sarah. Is there something I can do to the HTP wick to prevent the leaning? Also what jars do you typically use for CBL125. I plan to keep grinding on the testing. I love this wax. Adhesion is good also. Thanks again !!

Edited by coachtom

Some people twist their wicks before pouring. It's supposed to help with the lean. Personally I have not, so I couldn't say if it really does help. Mostly I just try to make sure the wick is centered well, pull it tight to keep it straight, and try not to let the melt pool get too deep.

I use smooth sided 16oz canning jars, because they are inexpensive, locally available, and it allows me to set an under $20 price point when I sell them. The majority of my consumers are my friends and co-workers, so being able to set a price that makes them feel like they're getting a good deal was important to me.

Lately, for my own use, I've been triple wicking big candle bowls that I picked up from Walmart. Man those babies throw!!

I did just order some nice tumblers from EAP, and some apothecary jars.

I feel like with the 125, it's tough to make a smal candle, because the wax liquifies so quickly. The small jar get really hot really fast, and it can make wicking tricky.

On May 24, 2018 at 9:47 PM, coachtom said:

Sarah - you using HTP for your candle bowls as well? Thanks again for all the input !!

Yep, but in my experience you have to go really small because the multiple wicks generate so much heat. 

image.jpeg.e4c101f41ab76a900e12e45f03c44c76.jpeg

This bowl is 5" across, and those are HTP62s. I took this about 2 hours into the burn last night. The fragrance is Cinnamon Bun from Aztec, and that's one I always have to wick up. My whole house smell incredible. 😊

• Like 1

14 hours ago, coachtom said:

Beautiful !!! Where did you get your jars??

Thank you! That one I got from Walmart, in the fake flower section. 😂

It was like $2.50 or something. I used a pound of wax and an ounce of fragrance, plus the three wicks, so the whole thing cost maybe $7.... I love this hobby so much!!! 🤓 That baby would be $30 retail, easy!