So I am fairly new to candle making. I’ve been trying at it for the past 6 months and of course like everyone else, the frustration has set in. I am currently using 4oz and 8oz tin containers and using c3 wax. My struggle is figuring out what size/type of wick I should use for my candles. I am not getting a strong hot scent throw. The current fragrances that I have been using come from Justscents.com. 

I am currently testing different wicks to see what would work best. I purchased sample wicks packets with all different sizes of wicks. Some of the ones that I have are Premier, HTP, CD and ECO. Does anyone have any suggestions on the type of wick I should use and size based on the information I provided? 

If you need any any other information please let me now so I can provide. Any assistance will be great appreciated! 

Picture below is me testing the HTP 93 m wick. I let it burn for about 2 hours. 

image.jpg

image.jpg

We could definitely use some more information please.

And I'm a little confused, you said you are using tins, but that is a jar. What size is that?

I use HTPs, and in a 16oz jar I would only use a 93 on a very heavy fragrance. If that was a picture after a 2 hour burn, I would say that candle is very over wicked. 

Can you give us the exact size of your containers? As well as the FO load like Scented asked for, and since its soy wax, how long are you letting it cure?

18 hours ago, Testing123 said:

what is the diameter of that jar

@Testing123 the jar that is shown is a 6 oz straight sided jar. The diameter is 2 1/2 inches. 

@Scented I am using 1 ounce of fragrance oil for every pound

@Sarah S In the picture, I was using that jar just for testing purposes but the diameter is 2 1/2” and the height is 3 1/4”.  The scent that I used for this test was bourbon Carmel Sea Salt from justscents.com. The containers that I will be using for selling purposes is a 4 oz and 8 oz tin. The 4 oz diameter is 2 1/2” with a depth of 1 3/4”. The 8 oz diameter is 3 1/8” with a depth of 2”. I didn’t let these cure as long. I let is cure for about 2 days before I tested them. What would be your recommendation on when to test them? 

When reviewing the Just Scent website there is no recommend amount of fragrance to use for candles.

image.jpg

image.jpg

Ok. There's a lot going on here that I think is going to cause you issues and heartache down the road. 

Tins and jars are completely different. Totally, wildly, different. You can not test in jars and assume it will carry over to tins. If you plan to sell tins you need to test in the exact tins that you plan to sell.

Testing for fragrance throw requires that you first find the correct wick for the wax you are using, and the correct size wick for the container you are testing in. Did that HTP burn well in that jar without fragrance? How about the other wicks? IMHO, that's really over wicked and that's probably the source of your fragrance issues. Testing a fragrance for throw without having a good wax/wick/container combination in place is like trying on a dress two sizes too small in the dark. Nothing is going to seem quite right, and you won't be able to figure out why.

1oz per pound of wax, or roughly 6% fragrance load is pretty standard. With soy wax you definitely need a longer cure than 2 days. Two weeks is average. The short cure could also be the source of your fragrance issues.

We have a sub forum specifically for soy and vegetable waxes, I recommend reading everything in there, it's a wealth of information. I use paraffin wax and I still read everything in there because there is just so much useful info and great conversation. I know there is a thread right at the top on wicking C3 that would be very useful for you. You could also try searching "C3" and "wicking tins" to see what pops up.

Edited to add, I just saw that you saw the C3 thread, lol. I know you are going to get a ton of useful information!! Good luck!

Edited by Sarah S
  • Like 1

Ditto exactly what Sarah just said.

Not to add frustration to frustration you are having but c3 needs a minimum of a 2 week cure time.  

Testing in 2 days is just a waste of time, money, and wasted hours spent on burning the candle.

Like Sarah said, what ever container you are going to use, which you intend on going with is a tin, you need to be testing THAT container.  Tins burn hotter than glass jars and they can be quite tricky to figure out your wicking.  When you get to the middle of the tin in your burn sessions, that is where the troubles start as they can heat up quite excessively from there to the end.  In an 8 oz tin in c3 I can give you a suggestive starting point of wicks to use with fragrance oils as I don't test without using fragrance oils.....Try with a cd 10 or htp 93 and burn in 4hour sessions, do a burn 1 day, then next day the 2'nd burn....and on.   I believe the ones who test without using any oils  I think start with a smaller wick...but I'm not quite sure....Others will I'm sure chime in here and make their suggestions as how they do that.  

Keep in mind that too you will determine if that particular oil is a good thrower or not.

It could turn out spectacular or could wind up being a dud.  And too, nowadays today we are all experiencing the soy problems that have come up over the past year with the waxes we are using and experimenting with noting that with the reformulations of waxes out there is certainly a problem for all of us as we are all experiencing diminished fragrance throws.  Unfortunately for new comers entering into the candle world, this is an unfortunate thing for them to combat in the beginning.

Good luck and keep us posted and pictures like you have been putting up are great and give such a better visual as to what is happening.

Trappeur:)

• Like 2

Hop on over to the fragrance sub forum and check out the discussions over there, you will get more than enough suggestions for suppliers. 😉

There is also a sticky at the top of that forum with a list of suppliers and their locations. 

• Like 1

On 5/23/2018 at 11:01 PM, Faerywren said:

IMO, JustScent has less than stellar oils.

I have ordered from JS a few times and haven't experienced any glaring problems yet.  I don't want to have to find out for myself so could you please elaborate as to why you think their oils are "less than stellar"?  Thanks!!

8 hours ago, lightmyfire said:

I have ordered from JS a few times and haven't experienced any glaring problems yet.  I don't want to have to find out for myself so could you please elaborate as to why you think their oils are "less than stellar"?  Thanks!!

They just don't perform for me as well as others. I had one that smelled okay in the bottle and then morphed into something resembling vomit once it hit the wax. It was super nasty. Also, they don't post any negative reviews of their FO's. Which I think is dishonest. I do like their room spray base, though.

Edited by Faerywren
  • Thanks 1