Jump to content
Grungedoll

What do you do...?

Recommended Posts

So here I am collecting up quite a few empty FO bottles now... because I haven't found the right place yet around here to dispose of them and don't want to just go throwing them in the garbage as I'm sure that isn't a good idea 😕. So my question to you is.. what do you do with empty bottles? do you store them up until you get up enough to make a trip somewhere to get rid of all of them worth it? and where do you take them to?

Thanks in advance!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Empty bottles can be thrown away.  I drain any bit of excess by turning the bottle upside down in a pan of wood shavings, can leave for days.  My wood shavings along with any fo I want to dispose of then get taken to hazmat disposal nearby.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We do not have any recycling options here, so I just throw mine in the household garbage.  Were I in an area that recycles, I would clean them out and put them in the appropriate recycling bin.  I clean out glass bottles and reuse those.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I clean them out and recycle plastic bottles.  Glass I clean and re-use to bottle EO that came in plastic .

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Shari said:

I clean them out and recycle plastic bottles.  Glass I clean and re-use to bottle EO that came in plastic .

How do you personally clean them out?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I clean mine out first with warm soapy water then give them a vinegar rinse then a last cold water rinse. The vinegar is to neutralize any odor so I can reuse the bottles.

 

Empty bottles I don't recycle I just toss in the trash. But none, not even a drop, of fragrance gets wasted. I use it all!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Wanted to add I also save and wash out any tops with a spigot. I always save and reuse those for new bottles I purchase that will fit the spigot top. I hate pouring FO from a bottle without a spigot top!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Candybee said:

Wanted to add I also save and wash out any tops with a spigot. I always save and reuse those for new bottles I purchase that will fit the spigot top. I hate pouring FO from a bottle without a spigot top!

Same here!  But lately I have a whole bunch of spigots that won't fit my new bottles.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, franu61 said:

Same here!  But lately I have a whole bunch of spigots that won't fit my new bottles.

 

I hate when that happens. But I save them anyway because eventually I reuse them. Right now all my spigot tops are in use.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yes, hot soapy water soak / rinse then vinegar soak and then rinse again. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, Candybee said:

Wanted to add I also save and wash out any tops with a spigot. I always save and reuse those for new bottles I purchase that will fit the spigot top. I hate pouring FO from a bottle without a spigot top!

So the vinegar trick works on these spigots too??  I've got to try that because I've been tossing them and they are valuable!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
34 minutes ago, kandlekrazy said:

So the vinegar trick works on these spigots too??  I've got to try that because I've been tossing them and they are valuable!

 

It works very good! First I soak my bottles and tops in a tub or sink full of warm sudsy water. Then I rinse them out several times and if they still have some scent in them I put them in a vinegar bath, then rinse with cold water, let them drip dry, then store them in an open box to air on a shelf until I need them. Some scents are pretty strong and can leave trace scent in some plastic bottles but I find that it does not convey to the new FO I put in the bottle.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Candybee said:

 

It works very good! First I soak my bottles and tops in a tub or sink full of warm sudsy water. Then I rinse them out several times and if they still have some scent in them I put them in a vinegar bath, then rinse with cold water, let them drip dry, then store them in an open box to air on a shelf until I need them. Some scents are pretty strong and can leave trace scent in some plastic bottles but I find that it does not convey to the new FO I put in the bottle.

Thanks, I wouldn't save plastic bottles but those spigot caps I will for sure now.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Oh I save the plastic 1 lb bottles. I use them to pour my blends in. I have so many now I need all the empties I can get. Have never had a problem with plastic bottles, new or recycled.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I’d been told that FOs shouldn’t at all be going down the sink drain so that’s why I’ve been leery about just washing them out and tossing the bottles. I try to use every drop that I can, shaking them and holding them over the pot the whole time I’m mixing, but honestly a few droplets maybe left behind as they cling to the bottle... is that really an issue to just throw that little bit in the bottle just into the trash? I also pour what I need out of larger bottles into little disposable medicine cups and I was actually told once I shouldn’t even be throwing those in the garbage with such a small trance of FOs in them... but I have. Haha. Too cautious...?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I throw my empty bottles (after rinsing) into the recycle bin but I do keep a few on hand for blending experiments.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

For plastic bottles, I do as others in rinsing them out after they're empty and put them in the recycling.  We have to take our recycling to a center, but I recycle all possible plastics.  Prior to rinsing, I turn the bottle upside-down and pour any contents into a smaller bottle, etc.  Of course, there is going to be a trace amount left, but I've always felt that it's okay to rinse that out, I typically use a degreaser type of dish soap.  Glass bottles are the ones I save for future mixing events and experiments.  :)   

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×