How do y'all decide how much extra paraffin to melt to account for the second pour?  I'm ending up with too much leftover wax.  Is there some sort of percentage of the weight of the candle or some general guideline for overage? Or is there none?  Use this example: Let's say you want to test a new formula or wax and wick combo and you only want to pour one candle. Just one! You are using a mold that holds 10 ounces and you don't want much leftover wax. How would you determine how much wax to melt for that one task? 

Q

54 minutes ago, Quentin said:

How do y'all decide how much extra paraffin to melt to account for the second pour?  I'm ending up with too much leftover wax.  Is there some sort of percentage of the weight of the candle or some general guideline for overage? Or is there none?  Use this example: Let's say you want to test a new formula or wax and wick combo and you only want to pour one candle. Just one! You are using a mold that holds 10 ounces and you don't want much leftover wax. How would you determine how much wax to melt for that one task? 

Q

I would melt the 10oz of wax then when i went to pour the wax i would keep some of the already melted wax to use as a second pour on the pillar so it would still be 10 ounces.  Others may do it differently tho.

34 minutes ago, ncraiders said:

I would melt the 10oz of wax then when i went to pour the wax i would keep some of the already melted wax to use as a second pour on the pillar so it would still be 10 ounces.  Others may do it differently tho.

So you go by just exactly by what the mold holds?

37 minutes ago, Quentin said:

So you go by just exactly by what the mold holds?

I have the wax to pour a pillar but they don't have the mold size i want locally.  i have to order it online  when it gets here  yes i will use the amount of wax that the mold says.    My mold will hold 16 oz so that is how much wax i will melt for it.  I wont fill the mold completely cause i will keep some set aside for a repour to finish the candle off.  I hope this helps.

I am sure others will chime in on this with how they do it using there wax.

Edited by ncraiders
  • Thanks 1

For me, for the first time I use that mold, I figure out the volume the mold will hold, then calculate that to the percent of wax. I always melt a bit more. Once the candle is complete (after all repours, unmolding, etc.,) I weigh the pillar. That will tell me in weight how much wax I need for that mold. First pour I will always have extra, and that will be used for the repour. 

• Thanks 1

On 5/13/2018 at 10:28 AM, ncraiders said:

that's what I do.........save enough for the 2nd pour.

• Thanks 1

I do have a habit of melting even more than I need for a particular pour, making sure I have enough for the 2nd pour and if I end up with a little extra, I pour that in a mold/container and set aside assuming that I'll have extra from my next adventure.  Over time, the mold/container that I poured the excess into becomes full and I end up having a multi-scented candle - for personal use only.  The layers being different scents, as they burn together, sometimes I find a nice blend of the particular scents.  Considering what I pay for my waxes and FOs, I refuse to let anything go to waste.........pour any excess into another container/mold and over time you'll end up with a full candle........then burn that baby and take pride in what you have created......kwim

• Like 2

I poured a candle a few days ago, a marbled pillar and I ended up with about two ounces of left over wax so I will take that leftover, melt it down, pour into a mold and then set it aside until I have more excess wax from a future pour..........I always have a pillar mold setting around that is only part filled.....that is where I pour my excess.....waste not, want not......kwim

• Like 1

i can understand that i melted a pound of palm wax for a container candle test and it actually filled the container more than the other 2 i had done.  i ended up just pouring it all into the container .  So i had a slightly overfilled container.  if i had scent and all in it i would of poured it into another container for a candle like you are talking about.

Ya know, sometimes those excess pours I make into another container/mold for personal use down the road turn out to be something special in the way of scent blending......I truly love lighting this kind of candle because I never know what I'm going to experience but it will always be good.

20 hours ago, Pam W said:

Ya know, sometimes those excess pours I make into another container/mold for personal use down the road turn out to be something special in the way of scent blending......I truly love lighting this kind of candle because I never know what I'm going to experience but it will always be good.

I pour my bits of leftover wax or wax that went wrong into ice trays. I pour them in randomly. Then when I've nothing else to do, I take them out of the trays, break them up and place them in a mold and pour a light colored paraffin to fill the empty areas. They have been some of the most beautiful candles you've ever seen and some of the best burning ones.

• Like 1