Cedar fragrance

ncraiders

I am making a list of fo's to test with my palm wax candles once i get the dialed in for my containers.  I am looking for a cedar fragrance that would smell like the inside of cedar chests.  My mom has an old one that her mom had and i just love the smell of it.  Any suggestions for that or any other good cedar scents?  

9 minutes ago, kandlekrazy said:

The only cedar I like is Seventh Generations Lime & Cedar laundry soap! I know no help.  I do like cedarwood essential oil but I'm super picky because the fo's smell fake to me.

I should of put in the post that  i meant either essential oil or fragrance oil.  I have not used essential oil in candles before but if that is what is required to get a cedar chest scent i am not afraid to try using it.

• Like 1

Just now, Candybee said:

Fillmore has a great cedarwood FO that I have used before in palm https://www.fillmorecontainer.com/cedarwood-fragrance-oil-25.html

thanks i have a list of fragrances you listed in another post from there that i would like to try so i will add that to that list.  so many fragrances i wanna test.  but i dont m ake enough candles to test them all sadly.

At my show last weekend, the soap lady next to me had a beautiful Cedar & Amber scent from Brambleberry. I'm excited to test this in my wax  !
It's exactly what I've been looking for for one of my accounts, you might want to add it to your list :) 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

20 hours ago, chevcher said:

At my show last weekend, the soap lady next to me had a beautiful Cedar & Amber scent from Brambleberry. I'm excited to test this in my wax  !
It's exactly what I've been looking for for one of my accounts, you might want to add it to your list :) 

Oh, that sounds divine! and like something I would love.

• Like 1

Now how could I forget Cedar Garland from Fillmore! It is a cedar and sandalwood blend but it is a fabulous scent and very strong in candlles and all the waxes I ever put it in; soy, pararrin, parasoy, and palm. Its good year round but its also a staple for my line of Christmas fragrances. During off season I rename it Cedar & Sandlewood and its a huge seller!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Candybee said:

Now how could I forget Cedar Garland from Fillmore! It is a cedar and sandalwood blend but it is a fabulous scent and very strong in candlles and all the waxes I ever put it in; soy, pararrin, parasoy, and palm. Its good year round but its also a staple for my line of Christmas fragrances. During off season I rename it Cedar & Sandlewood and its a huge seller!

LOL, that is already on a list i have of fragrances you mentioned you like from fillmore in a different post. I have about 8 fragrances off that list i want to try when i need to order more fo after my wick tests.

• Like 1

Cedar essential oil (the Juniperus virgiana type) in my own experience tends to have a pretty potent aroma, and it is also one of the more affordable essential oils. My favorite place to order essential oils is mountain rose herbs, since they have a lot of organic options and are also into fair trade, and one of the few essential oil companies who have a lot of integrity. Their Juniperus essential oil is $20 for 4 ounces. There are some even more affordable options out there, too, like brambleberry's which is $15 for 8 ounces. 

This is really one of my favorite essential oils because it blends like a champ, can make more authentic and stronger smelling sandalwood interpretations with it, for example, and tweak it to get it just right to personal preference. 

With the cedar chest smell, again can add just a few drops at a time of other essential oils and/or fragrance oils to get the exact interpretation that you like, and have it smell strong and more authentic. 

The cedar chest I grew up with was an older one made by the nearby Amish community. It had a definite cedar-woody aroma, but was also a little musty, like an old and damp cabin in the woods, and was also mildly sweet smelling in a way, plus it was located in the "tool room" in the basement of my childhood home. So to get the sort of nostalgic interpretation I personally like, I have had the best results starting with cedar EO and adding just a little blop of patchouli EO, a generous splash of vanilla musk FO and just a couple tiny drops of birch tar (very strong, so just a wee bit will do). I eyeball it all, so no idea on exact ratios.. but again you can tweak it and experiment and get all sorts of personalized interpretations of things starting with cedar EO as the foundation. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1