Fun New Pillars

Hopie

I poured these over the last few days for testing wicks. First one is Honeydew Melon scented with aquamarine dye chips, second one is scented with Ocean Waves. We'll see how these wicks burn now that I've changed them out. 

IMG_20180506_180020.jpg

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

Looking good......if you need a tester, you can always send them to me...lol

What wax and wicks are you using??  You have really gotten the inspiration for rustic/layered pillars and I look forward to your future creations.............Ya know this is an addiction....and I see that you are into it big time......love seeing your creations........keep them coming.

Thank you, Pam. I sure had fun making these! The blue one took me a bit of time to pour compared to the green one (of course). I used 1274 mottling wax for both of these. The wicks are 24 flat braid. The green one bulged a bit towards the top when I burned it, so I need to HUG them (why not, I love them!)  and decide if these wicks are going to be right.

The other day, I did my first few parasoy (ProBlend 600) container pours, can't wait to see how those burn, they're curing in the bedroom...sure smells lovely in there, lol! I am not seeing one bit of frost on them, either, let's see how those babies burn. Now there's candles all over the motorhome, and it smells like a candle shop in here! Good thing David likes the scents too :)

Pouring layered and or rustics do take some time.......like you have to wait for one layer to set before you pour the next.........very time consuming but such a boost to the ego when you de-mold your creation.

Using the 1274 wax does give you options:  If you pour at a temp of around 180* you will get a nice full mottling effect(like the green candle),  but if you pour ""layers"" at a lower temp, you'll get less mottling and a more rustic effect like the other candle.

Now addressing the bulging effect:  you can include some additives to help with that:  Stearic acid helps with hardening the wax and preventing that bulge effect as the candle burns...(I'll have to check to see what % is needed, if memory serves me correctly, I'm thinking that 3 tablespoons of steric to each pound of wax)  But all comes down to how long the end user burns the candle with or without blowing out the wick and hugging the candles.  As the candle maker, all we can do is to produce a quality product based on the specific burn recommendations....if the end user doesn't follow those instructions then it's out of our hands.

Thanks so much, I'm glad you all like them. I had gotten the scent "Ocean Waves", so I thought I'd try to make it look "oceany" :). David was asking me about making it look "wavy", and I know you can tilt them...somehow...to create this effect but I haven't gotten that far yet, lol.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 5/18/2018 at 4:59 PM, Sarah S said:

The deep blue one is beautiful Hopie!! I am so enjoying watching your progress!

I have to agree with Sarah.....watching you progress in your candle making venture does take me back to my beginnings.  I only wish I had pics of some of the candles I poured way back when....having no frigging idea what I was doing, I did pour some nice candles but not having taken notes, I can not reproduce them

Oh well, today is a new day and candle pouring never stops........if you can invision it, you can pour it.

• Thanks 1