Mini Mason Jar Candle

Here is a pic of a new batch made with C3 + 10% Coconut wax and 1Tablespoon USA per #, LX12 wick.  This batch is strictly essential oils and burning way different than my C3, USA, FO did.

This is 1.5 hrs in, getting a pretty big mushroom and melt pool is  deeper than previous testing.1309022772_tinymasonjar.thumb.jpg.fa7b474f4021fda493a42397d0c9d39d.jpg

If i had to guess i would say if you added coconut wax to it and used the same wick size as plain c3 you would probably be need to test different wick sizing as the coconut wax might have changed it enough to cause issues.  I am rather new to candle making but that is what i think is the issue.

Edited by ncraiders

You’re going to have trouble with any jar with a narrowed shoulder and neck like that with soy and coconut. I have tried every combination and have yet to find anything that works well enough to trust. That coconut disrupts the way that soy burns in such a way that it will go liquid the whole way through if you let that keep burning.

Wicking down doesn’t often help because the heat is still trapped in that glass and is transferred through the rest of the solid wax. That remaining wax now is a higher temperature and melts easier. The wick just can’t keep up. 

• Like 1

Thanks, so far it's burning nicely and has slowed down, not so much a mushroom as just a curve in the wick which is ok.   I have a big Antique street faire today in town and busy next 3 days but I'm going to put it in my calendar to post another pic on Friday after burn 3.  These are only a couple ounces of wax.  They burn nicely with this wick and no Coconut, which I knew I was taking a chance with this wick since the Coconut softens the C3 even more.  The USA I added was already in the C3 as I always do that and just added out of habit not so much that I thought it would do anything, prob need 3 per # with the Coconut added to harden it.  I didn't have any luck with Eco wicks in C3 so I gave up on them.  I may have some premiers I can try or my good ol cotton core if I have small enough.  The LX works well in this jar just need right size but don't have any other sizes right now so I'll have to order and then of course fo will be ordered again!

It’s not about “hardening” per se, but changing the melt properties. With plain old soy, you can’t see how mushy the wax beneath the clear melt pool is unless you move the candle. The coconut wax, like many paraffins, changes the melt behavior and melt point of the soy, so that mush turns clear. The temp difference and hardness are pretty insignificant. The changes are at a more molecular level. 

Hardness and melt point are very separate things. Cocoa butter, for instance, is very hard to the touch yet melts as far lower temps than other softer oils, like palm. What you need to figure out with your container and wax is how to change the melt properties so it does not get to a clear liquid stage so quickly and easily in a jar. The smaller the jar, the more difficult that is since the heat is concentrated on such a small amount of wax.

• Like 1

I've done the 3 oz status with no problems and these with C3 but this coconut wax has thrown me, lol.  I'm just leaving it out for future batches of these.  The coconut wax addition makes a really nice clam melt so I think I'll use this up in clams and go back to just C3 & USA!  Glad I only bought 12# of Coconut wax

I never was able to successfully wick that jar KK....The smallest cd wick they make was still too big.   I had an extremely deep melt pool just like yours.

I did have a great throw though! lol  The shoulders on that mini baby jar really trapped in the heat and glass was so very hot I couldn't pick it up....  I just put the jar aside on a shelf and look at it with the pretty label I made for it and that is where I stand with that jar to this day!

Trappeur

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Trappeur said:

I never was able to successfully wick that jar KK....The smallest cd wick they make was still too big.   I had an extremely deep melt pool just like yours.

I did have a great throw though! lol  The shoulders on that mini baby jar really trapped in the heat and glass was so very hot I couldn't pick it up....  I just put the jar aside on a shelf and look at it with the pretty label I made for it and that is where I stand with that jar to this day!

Trappeur

I'm actually amazed at the hot throw from these tiny jars!  I'm going to try a smaller wick but as it got further down it slowed down a lot.  Jar isn't hot to the touch so far but I get what you mean, it could get to that point as it hits lower.  I'm thinking it's this eo/cocowax combo because I've had success with this jar before with both C3 and Palm wax.

22 hours ago, TallTayl said:

Which coconut wax did you try KK? Just curious. 

I bought it from Calif Candle Supply simply because they are close by and shipping wasn't killer.  If I thought it was going to work for me I'd prob search around for suggestions.  It was a soft slab of wax, doesn't say who mfg is on their website.

Third burn 2 hrs in (total 6) and yes I forgot to twist these wicks, darn!  So this burn it's going to one side more than the other and jar is too warm for my comfort.  I'm going to try Premier 700, 705, 710 with this same wax combo and see what happens, not giving up on this blend yet.  Heck no other candles to test right now so may as well keep it going.

mini mason 3rd burn.jpg

Edited by kandlekrazy