Palm wax wick question

I am getting ready to order some glass glow from lone star to test. I am curious on  if anyone that uses glass glow has used it in a 4" apothecary jar.  I have read that csn wicks tend to work best but cs does not have a wick size listed for a 4 inch jar.  I plan to order the wick sample kit but am looking for a idea on what wick to start with as a test.  Or if there is another wick type that would be better for the wax?

• Like 1

I have also noticed that several companies that sell the same wax have different directions for heating and pouring some say heat to around 210 and others say 160 so which one is actually accurate?

You want to heat Palm wax at least to 200 if you want the beautiful crystallisation that it is famous for. Also it will incorporate the scent better at a higher  temp. 

I use CD wicks with my Palm, and in an 4" apothecary I would start my testing with a CD 12 and go from there. I never got the CSN's to work for me the way I wanted. 

4 hours ago, Jcandleattic said:

You want to heat Palm wax at least to 200 if you want the beautiful crystallisation that it is famous for. Also it will incorporate the scent better at a higher  temp. 

I use CD wicks with my Palm, and in an 4" apothecary I would start my testing with a CD 12 and go from there. I never got the CSN's to work for me the way I wanted. 

Thanks for that info.  i just thought of another question. Is it really viable to single wick palm gg in a 4" 16oz apothecary jar or should i be looking to try and double wick the candle instead?    I am rather new to candle making i have only done about 12 tin using C3 that i got as a kit.  So i am not all that knowledgeable yet but am trying to absorb all the info i can.  Since i know there are a few people on here that mainly use palm wax i figure this is the best place to find the info i am looking for as my searches online have not really helped me much.

i am also considering trying out 16oz mason/canning jars as well.  The apothecary jars were bought to use for soy before i started reading about how inconsistent soy wax is at the moment.  The apothecary jars looked nicer to me but if there is a easier to wick jar in the 16 oz range i would be willing to change jars.  Seeing as i bought apothecary jars locally and i should be able to return them if a better jars is available.   Sadly i could not edit the previous post to include this as i waited to long i guess.

Edited by ncraiders

18 hours ago, ncraiders said:

Is it really viable to single wick palm gg in a 4" 16oz apothecary jar

I personally double wick, but I use 2 small CD wicks for my gg in my 16oz apothecary. However, I do that to keep consistent with the look of all my candles, but I know there are some out there that have successfully single wicked 16oz apothecary jars. It can be done, I just don't do it. 

Apothecary's are the only jars I use - I use the 16oz and the 5oz for my line. 

• Like 1

thanks again for the info i really appreciate it.  i have not attempted to double wick anything yet since i have only made  3" tins.  i will attempt to single wick my candle first then if that does not work i will work on trying to double wick after that.

Before i decided to try glass glow i looked at the Candlewic container palm but shipping was more costly than the wax.  I ordered a 10 pound sample of glass glow from a company in texas which is probably just as far away and the shipping was less than half the cost.  If i like how it works out and want to buy more my only concern is does the wax go bad?  I only make candles for myself currently.  so even tho it is cheaper to order 55 pounds at once i don't want to do that if it will go bad before i end up making all of it into candles.  Hopefully next Tuesday i can start single wick testing in my 4" jar with potential to end up trying to double wick if single a wick doesn't work out.  Am i correct in thinking that the glass glow holds 6%,  i have seen 2 different sites with different %'s one claims 3% the other is 6%.

Thanks for  the wax instruction info as well as wick suggestions.  The information was greatly appreciated. 

This may be too late for you, but I recently discovered that the CS wick guide has a view all wick suggestions button. If you click on that you can see the complete guide and they still have C3 wax and several palm waxes on there for wick suggestions. 

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, runner14jc said:

This may be too late for you, but I recently discovered that the CS wick guide has a view all wick suggestions button. If you click on that you can see the complete guide and they still have C3 wax and several palm waxes on there for wick suggestions. 

Yeah i found that after i sent them an email questioning about wick sizing.  They gave me a wick suggestion of CSN 14 and 16 for my size contain.  Then i found a bit of info on here in the tutorials section, for glass glow palm candle layering which gave me a idea on wick sizing for dual wick if i need to go that route.  thanks for the info i do appreciate all the info you all have shared with me.

• Like 1