I'm taking a poll on everyone who makes candles what wax they use.

On 5/2/2018 at 6:52 AM, Trappeur said:

What wicks do you use with 4630 Pam?

Trappeur

I use Eco wicks for both 4630 containers and 1274 pillars.  In the containers, I usually use Eco 4 or 6 but these are fairly small jars.  I do have some containers that I use for myself...one is a sq cube with really thick sides and I will use either a #8 or #10 depending on the FO; the others are hour-glass shaped containers and I wick those with #8 which fits the narrow part of the jar and both of these burn all the way to the bottom of the jar  😂

I've never gotten into blending waxes so can't address that issue.  I am pleased with the throw I get with 4630 and it's simplicity.  The only problem I have with it is if I order in during the hot months.....it's very soft when coming off the UPS truck so I have let it cool to room temp ....this time last year I order a case from Lonestar and the individual slab were not individually wrap which allow for the slabs to melt together and that was a PITA.....

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Trappeur said:

Ok..............let me pose another question at you all.....

Ok, so I'm hearing that 4630 is a great wax that people love on it's own.  So if it is that wonderful why are you all trying to blend it with soy since 4630 stands on it's own?  Is it a thing that you all are doing because we all live in a "soy" world and that is supposedly "THE" wax because it is supposed to be better in this "GREEN" world we live in?   See, I would think if it is such a wonderful thrower "why try and fix something that ain't broke"?  You know right off the bat that supposedly the hot throw on a soy candle is no comparison to a candle in Paraffin.  Correct me if I'm wrong here.  I would think adding soy to 4630 is going to diminish the excellent throw of this paraffin candle to something of a lesser throw.  That's what I think.  Right?  So why jeopardize a great candle to begin with?   I'm  trying to understand the logistics of why everyone wants to blend when they don't have to?????KWIM???

Trappeur

I think it's the other way around. I don't think it's paraffin users that want soy, but soy users that want paraffin to bring a better scent throw to their soy, and (in the cas of soy now) want something to bring a better burn to soy;. 

• Like 2

Maybe it's just our obsession with trying new things/waxes.  Personally, I'm happy with the throw I get from 4630 and have no interest in trying to blend it with another wax.........but that's just me.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Paintguru said:

I just ordered a ton of wick samplers to see what works for the 4630 (HTP, CD, Premier 700, already have Eco).  I'll keep you updated with my results (even though I'm sure results already exist from other folks).  

Yes, please do keep us informed Paint....

Trappeur

• Like 1

On 5/3/2018 at 2:23 PM, TallTayl said:

C3 with 2% Universal Soy Additive pretty much solved any cosmetic issues I was having with C3

I've been reading this forum for months, soaking up as much info as I can, dabbling with candle making as $$ allow. I haven't yet settled on a soy wax yet, but I'm committed to experimenting with C3 and Millennium until I decide. I haven't chimed in before now because I have way too many questions and I seem to be easily overwhelmed. LOL So I'll start with a simple question.

@TallTayl Where do you buy this? I've seen it on The Candlemakers Store. 

On 5/1/2018 at 7:10 PM, singleserve said:

Favorite:  Midwest container wax with soy wax modifier (formerly Enchanted Lites) -  eco wicks.  

Runner up:  I've recently tried Millennium and I really like it.  It's nice because you don't need a modifier.

I order both from American Soy.

@singleserve What's your secret for avoiding rough tops with either of these? I'm experimenting with pouring temps/conditions, but so far haven't landed on the magic formula.

Don't have a definitive answer to the original question, but this is what I've been experimenting with since January.

GB 464 and CD wicks (starter kit from Candle Cocoon)

C-3

Midwest Container wax and soy modifier

Millennium

I have a sample of Northwood's coconut wax, but haven't tried it yet

This week I'm testing ECO, Premier 700, HTP, CD, CDN, and ribbon wicks in unscented, undyed Millennium in a 9 oz straight-sided jar. (Trying to find my baseline.) So far, HTP 105 seems to be doing the best, but I'm not convinced yet. I'm also liking how the medium ribbon wick is performing. Low, wide flame. I have a couple more burns to do, so nothing conclusive yet. Most of these test candles were greatly over- or under-wicked. So I'll probably repeat this test with the same series, sizing up or down according to my results. 

52 minutes ago, Linda P said:

I've been reading this forum for months, soaking up as much info as I can, dabbling with candle making as $$ allow. I haven't yet settled on a soy wax yet, but I'm committed to experimenting with C3 and Millennium until I decide. I haven't chimed in before now because I have way too many questions and I seem to be easily overwhelmed. LOL So I'll start with a simple question.

@TallTayl Where do you buy this? I've seen it on The Candlemakers Store. 

Answered in another thread, but replying here to keep it all together. I use the one from the candle makers store. The one from ASO does not seem to be interchangeable. @moonshine Tried the CMS USA in Midwest soy from ASO and it did not do the same as the soy modifier from ASO. Hope that all makes sense. 

It definitely makes sense. My first thought was to see if ASO's modifier was the same as USA. But the description on their website was too different, which is why I asked. Thanks so much for your responses and clarification.

1 minute ago, Linda P said:

I over wicked ECO. I'll try again sizing down. Huge flames, smoke, 1/2" melt pools, and carbon balls the size of peas.

That’s easy to do. Eco are pretty powerful little wicks! 

In my 3” wide tins, most scents do well with eco10 with both  C3 and Midwest soy. 

Some scents in C3 ( and naked C3) need an eco12-14 in those same tins.

A couple fragrances, believe it or not, need to be wicked all the way down to an eco6! Fragrance makes a huge wicking difference. Those who don’t know their wax are really taking a gamble with new scents. 

My test candles are unscented in 9 oz straight sided glass jars. Not quite 3". I used eco10, 12, and 14. For my next test in the same container, I'll use eco6 & 8 in the Millennium wax. I want to get some rrd and lx wicks too, just to say I did. I want to get the wax/additive and wick series settled before I add fragrance to the mix. I have 50 lbs of Millennium on hand, so I can test for a good while.

• Like 1

very late to this but I started with IGI 4627 for containers, dabbled in other waxes and now back to 4627. Yes it is a mess

to work with, but still love it and killer throw.  I use htp wicks in that wax.  for pillars I use IGI 1343. for melts I use IGI 4625 with

IGI 4627.

On 5/2/2018 at 12:31 AM, moonshine said:

I am at a crossroad still....

-415 user here for years and still trying to make it workable to use up what I have but no plans to continue with it down the road - CD and CDN wicks 

-palm wax with RRD or CSN wicks make a beautiful candle I’m finding 

-coconut is my new obsession with mostly eco wicks

-C3 soy I’m dabbling in again seeing I never gave it half a chance years ago and I’m finding I like it more and more with eco wicks 

-444 I wanted so bad to love but it’s awful...months down the road it cracks, the burn is ugly and it doesn’t play nice with others at all- tried CD-HTP-ECO and even paper core

-Midwest soy and millennium are okay, not in love with all the qualities enough to pursue but still burning some Midwest ones and they are strong...I will give it that so maybe cosmetic issues I can get over 🤷‍♀

-4630 is the first container paraffin I ever used straight and I blended it with soy, it’s a very nice wax with great throw- paper core work great 

-4625 is great blended with a parasoy for votives and pillars- eco wicks 

-beeswax excellent in blends of all the above and blended in soys or coconut for melts 

-Clarus 3022 excellent wax also and so easy to work with- HTP and paper wicks 

I know you only asked for what people are using but I thought I would list all the ones I have been using the past year...time will tell which ones I decide on permanently and my time is running out- need to start producing again 🤦‍♀

Where are you getting your coconut wax   Candlewic ? Do

you add anything to it ?

• Like 1

On 5/8/2018 at 5:01 PM, Linda P said:

It definitely makes sense. My first thought was to see if ASO's modifier was the same as USA. But the description on their website was too different, which is why I asked. Thanks so much for your responses and clarification.

USA and soy modifier are very very different 

USA does not play nice with Midwest wax at all - but it works great in C3 and 415 

The modifier works great with Midwest but I don’t recommend the max of 10%....seemed to lock in the scent - 5% worked well for me 

millennium wax worked well with Eco wicks and HTP and smooth tops are tricky but if you heat until just melted and add your fo and lightly stir occasionally and pour at 100-105 they are decent and hitting it with a heat gun helps 

8 hours ago, Moonstar said:

Where are you getting your coconut wax   Candlewic ? Do

you add anything to it ?

I’m using candles and supplies and I have been testing it alone and with everything but the kitchen sink 😂

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

I use palm wax 1 for glass jar containers and palm wax 2 for wax tarts.  I love how palm wax looks and for the most part how easy it is to use - never have problems like bubbles or tunneling that I hear others have with other types of natural waxes.  Here's the end result of one of my candles if that helps.  

IMG_1970.JPG

IMG_3576.JPG

• Like 2

On 5/1/2018 at 4:14 PM, Trappeur said:

There sure is a lot of us candle makers on this forum and I'm very interested in taking a poll of what each of us uses for wax for candles.

I want to try a paraffin because it is a fact that paraffin is super throwing correct?  Or a palm wax is another super thrower, correct?

So I'm taking a poll to see what we all use.  If you could state what brand wax and style it would be great.  If you use a blend of any thing, it would be great if you tell your combo.  Now if you don't care to divulge what your blend is, that is your trade secret I very well respect if you don't want to say what it is, so no problem there.  But if you could tell your wax that you have been consistently  happy with whether you sell candles or make for yourself that is what I am asking...not if your experimenting with new blends to come up with a better choice of wax....Oh yes, how bout telling what wicks you use too? And if your are happy with your wax could you state yes or no?

Trappeur

Ok, I'll go first.

I use 464 ( all soy)with cd wicks....

Pretty happy with...been using for years though I had to change wicking recently.

Next???

Trappeur

Same 464 eco wicks been using for 8 years always testing on the side but never found another like it thus far.

On 5/30/2018 at 9:28 AM, bridgewayprimitives said:

I'm dying to know! 

I posted a thread a week or so ago on the wick results.  The consensus was I may have been a bit large on the wicks.  I did order Eco 4s and 6s to try, but I haven't gotten around to it yet.  After my testing I'll likely stay with the Eco line, but I need to zero in on the exact size.  

• Thanks 1

• 2 months later...