(threw a hemp in there for the hippies)

Paper cores will be tested next week.

HOUR 3 COMPLETE:

I'll rate the mushrooms from smallest to largest:

premier

htp

cd (double header!)

hemp  

The cotton core stayed neat, it also had the tallest flame; aside from the hemp.  

Probably no one cares much about the wood wick, but I'd suggest a 5/8" width or a dual wick for a 3" diameter vessel.

burning.jpg

close_up.jpg

top_cold.jpg

Edited by pughaus
  • Thanks 1

OK so I'm terrible at measuring MP depth until I can see it through a glass.  I'm reluctant to post my measurements since I have little faith they're accurate.

I have put a cotton core in a full glass and it's burning now so I'll have more info on that soon enough.  

BURN 2 RESULTS:

3 hour burn.  (I nixed the hemp and wood wick tests.) 

We've got a mushroom on every wick in this round.   And in this burn, the htp62 had the smallest mushroom.  CD4 is still a hot mess with the biggest mushroom.

The premier and cotton core mushrooms are pretty much equal in size and flame distortion.
That premier 735 wick is such a small and thin wick; it seems like it has the potential to flop over into the melt pool eventually, especially if the MP gets much deeper.

I attempted to measure melt pool depth as best I could using paper strips.  I measured a 1/2" depth- or very close to it, on all 4.  

burn2_a.jpg

burn2_b.jpg

burn2_c.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Really interesting results here, especially during burn 2...after seeing the burn 1 results, I was thinking that the Premier might pull out a win, but it's amazing how much changes during the second burn!

2 hours ago, TallTayl said:

Do you think zinc or square braid are worth a try?

maybe but I'll need someone to donate a couple of those to "science " 🤓  I have neither of those here in my wick collection.  

• 3 months later...
On 4/29/2018 at 4:27 PM, pughaus said:

Those tests are awesome. Wow, these posts were a lot of work @pughaus and took some time to put together. Thanks so much for doing that. So do the pan test melt pool diameters end up being the same once you wick your containers? So that's a pretty accurate test then?

Edited by Laura C

Really, when you have a new wax it's much less time consuming in the long run to do a pan test with a bunch of wicks as a starting point- in a few hours you can get some essential info re: melt pool diameters, flame behavior, mushrooms, wick condition...   It's a good start.

I didn't move forward with that wax- mostly because I later found out it wasn't cruelty free.  Per the supplier, at least 1 ingredient in it had been tested on rabbits- for me, that was a deal breaker.  But if I did decide to continue with it, at least I had some idea which wicks performed best in it and could proceed from there.   It is a pretty wax. Aesthetically, perhaps the most beautiful I've tested yet.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

36 minutes ago, pughaus said:

Really, when you have a new wax it's much less time consuming in the long run to do a pan test with a bunch of wicks as a starting point- in a few hours you can get some essential info re: melt pool diameters, flame behavior, mushrooms, wick condition...   It's a good start.

I didn't move forward with that wax- mostly because I later found out it wasn't cruelty free.  Per the supplier, at least 1 ingredient in it had been tested on rabbits- for me, that was a deal breaker.  But if I did decide to continue with it, at least I had some idea which wicks performed best in it and could proceed from there.   It is a pretty wax. Aesthetically, perhaps the most beautiful I've tested yet.

Yes, thanks, I certainly do need to do a pan test. I've been meaning to but just got lazy. Now that I have some different waxes coming in it will be a good time. Need to get me some pans. Oh dear, don't like the rabbit testing. Were rabbits killed or just poked? I'm surprised they fessed up to testing on animals. That's really unfortunate for the rabbits and for you since you are giving the wax such a high review. 

@Laura Cthe rabbit testing was prob. just related to the "paraffin" portion of that wax.  My guess is that they were referencing past tests on paraffin as an ingredient w/r to safety and not necessarily testing the wax itself on animals. God, I hope not.

I didn't dig much deeper- I just moved on.  

I think the pan tests are fun.  But I'm a nerd ;) 

Edited by pughaus

51 minutes ago, pughaus said:

@Laura Cthe rabbit testing was prob. just related to the "paraffin" portion of that wax.  My guess is that they were referencing past tests on paraffin as an ingredient w/r to safety and not necessarily testing the wax itself on animals. God, I hope not.

I didn't dig much deeper- I just moved on.  

I think the pan tests are fun.  But I'm a nerd ;) 

Ok, good, I can breath easier about the little rabbits now, LOL. Yes, the pan test should be fun and very interesting. I'm a closet nerd/geek. 😀

• Like 1

• 1 year later...