What is the easiest way to sell?

Forrest

As a hobby candle making has two problems. It is expensive, and I can make a lot more candles than I can burn. What would be great is if I could sell a small number of candles to help offset the cost and so that my wife doesn’t leave me because her house is full of candles. I’ve been involved in several small businesses and this time I would like to minimize the business end of things and focus on making candles. I not wanting to make a lot of money, if I could break even I would be thrilled.   

If you are not looking to make a profit and just cover your costs I would look at ebay. No fees for up to 50 listing a month. And people really want a bargain there.  Etsy is another option.

If you have the time doing a craft market in your area would be good if you have those. 

Do a small brochure and pass them to friends, family, coworkers.

If yard sales are good in your area, do so many a year. Unload some unwanted things and sell the candles. I unload my tester wax melts that way. They sell fast. Priced to just cover my costs.

Try to get one small wholesale account in a local store. Hair and nail salons would be a good target for selling small amounts. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, Sebleo said:

Hair and nail salons would be a good target for selling small amounts.  

I could probably talk my hairdresser into it, she’s been cutting my hair for 30 years and would likely accept payment in candles.

Edited by Forrest
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Forrest said:

I could probably talk my hairdresser into it, she’s been cutting my hair for 30 years and would likely accept payment in candles.

My hairdresser does!! It's a great deal. I get a $xx cut, dye/highlight/color, for 2 candles every 6 weeks. It's a sweet deal! And every year at Christmas time, she buys outright 2 cases of the candles, scent of my choosing, so she can give to her clients. 

Can't go wrong there! :) 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Jcandleattic said:

My hairdresser does!! It's a great deal. I get a $xx cut, dye/highlight/color, for 2 candles every 6 weeks. It's a sweet deal! And every year at Christmas time, she buys outright 2 cases of the candles, scent of my choosing, so she can give to her clients. 

Can't go wrong there! :) 

This is a GREAT idea! I may have to hit a few salons! :)  Ditto the craft shows, they're fun to do and you may get a regular, local account out of the exposure. 

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Hopie said:

This is a GREAT idea! I may have to hit a few salons! :)  Ditto the craft shows, they're fun to do and you may get a regular, local account out of the exposure. 

I was going to her for about 3 years before I brought her a candle for her birthday. She loved it and she knew I made it, so we made the deal. 8 years later, it's still a great deal. 

I do 4 craft shows a year, but that's all I do as far as selling outlets besides my website. 

I agree that ebay may be a good place to sell, I did pretty well on there and worked from home. We vend full time, so we have over 180 active selling days per year. YES, it's sometimes quite grueling (especially Dec. to Feb. when it's 7 days a week!) Probably why I wanted to get back to playing with wax during our slower times, I find it relaxing and rewarding. But, the travelling is FUN! Can't wait to spend a lot of time this summer surrounded by wax, wicks and loooovely fragrance oils :D

I met a really cool lady barber down in Quartzsite last Feb, she had a really cool, spiky haircut that I liked, so I had her cut my hair in layers. She did a great job! Works in the Quartzsite out of the back of a toy hauler RV, barber chair all set up with a spritzer bottle, lol! She stopped by our booth in Havasu twice lately, maybe I should strike up a deal with her to barter clothing for cuts?

Edited by Hopie

I'm in the same boat, and I assume most new candle sellers are.  The hard part (IMO) is covering the cost of insurance and business licensing (varies by state).  If insurance is $400 and I'm making say $4-8 profit per candle, that is 50-100 candles per year sold just to cover that!!  

• Thanks 1

I sell melts to friends and family and some on ebay.  But would like to make and sell small candles as well.  Where to get the bus  ins is my problem.  Where Where?  called home owners State Farm but they do not sell product liability.  I believe we must have ins to sell candles on a platform or even at craft shows etc.

Does anyone have an idea where to look?

Start a Facebook page.  I have gotten a lot of customers that way, plus a wholesale account and a couple of consignments here and there. Our area has Facebook Garage Sale pages that lets small businesses advertise.  Some have more stringent rules than others on how many times a month you can post. Our town also has a 'chatter' page, so I post a link to my page there sometimes.  I just try not to overdo it, so as not to annoy people.  :) 

Most of my FB customers are local, but I have shipped orders, mostly using Paypal.  I just shipped a good sized soap and lotion bars order to Las Vegas last week.  The customer is the niece of my sister's friend.  See, that's how your business can spread. 

I started a page back in the fall of 2014.  Didn't even have a business name yet.  Once I had a name and logo, I changed my page name.  Today I hit a milestone. 500 likes!

Ok great idea.  i had a face book  before and closed it but after reading your comment opened again.  i have my two daughters on it and have no idea how it works to get others. I don't have many friends so need to learn how this works.

• 2 months later...
1 hour ago, ShelleyF said:

How are people making any money selling wax melts on eBay? I see some going for $2.00-3.00 with free shipping? How in the world is that even possible? 

IKR?

not all businesses are out to make a profit I guess. Or they use eBay to advertise? Not my ideal customer, but it must work for some..

2 hours ago, TallTayl said:

IKR?

not all businesses are out to make a profit I guess. Or they use eBay to advertise? Not my ideal customer, but it must work for some..

I did see some people selling for expensive prices. They sold well too. I am not selling for $2.00 with free shipping lol I'm not doing this and paying to make this for others. Also there is a seller buying BBW candles and remeltk g them as melts. And keeping the BBW original names. They are selling like crazy. Made me cringe. 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
44 minutes ago, Crafty1_AJ said:

Have you tried Handcrafted Soap and Cosmetic Guild for insurance?  They cover candles.

They do cover candles, however beware that in order to have their insurance you MUST also make and sell soap, or they will not insure you. 

2 minutes ago, Crafty1_AJ said:

Yes, true.  Which is one of the reasons I make soap.  :lol:  

The Guild is where I have my insurance through. I finally went with them when they added candles as part of their package. I believe before what? 2009 they only insured soapmaking - adding in covering candles sometime around 2008-2009 ish. If I'm remembering correctly. 

On 8/13/2018 at 2:45 PM, Jcandleattic said:

They do cover candles, however beware that in order to have their insurance you MUST also make and sell soap, or they will not insure you. 

To be completely accurate, I believe you need to sell a body product of some sort, not specifically soap.  This is why I'll likely sell detangler/spray conditioner when I get my butt going and start to sell!

Pretty easy to get insurance in most states, California & New York are hard probably a few others.  When I was AZ I had insurance through State Farm and it was not expensive at all, I also had an LLC there at minimal cost.  Had to change both when business relocated to California.

As far as selling goes, start an Instagram page and offer to sell on there, it's free, just hashtag things like #sale #blowout #giveaway #free (you can do buy 3 get 1 free).  You can link your facebook page so every post automatically goes to both with a single click (love that feature!)  I did well on Etsy but there are a lot of candles/melts so you have to take the time to put a million hashtags on your products.