Testing IGI 6570 - Coco/para wax

pughaus

27 minutes ago, pughaus said:

the htps and premiers did seem to best for me in that wax.    Hope you can find the right mix.  It sure is a pretty wax.

I guess I'm on an opposite track from many on those board- I've moving from all coconut to some soy, to mostly soy.  🤷‍♂️ 

I think since you're starting from scratch with soy - with no previous expectations of wicking, performance, etc. - you're probably at an advantage over those of us who have worked with soy for years and have been thrown into a tailspin with the changes!

• Like 2

• 1 month later...
On 6/17/2018 at 10:46 AM, pughaus said:

@olives  Did you ever find a wick solution for this wax or have you moved on? 

I had to set testing aside for a bit but my most recent tests with HTP wicks were pretty good. Trying to find that sweet spot of the right size, though, is something I need to re-visit...but overall I was happy with the burn with those particular wicks!

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 4/23/2018 at 6:02 PM, olives said:

First test burn report today:

I used an ECO 6 in my 2.5" jar, and it seemed to be too much for the jar. Fast consumption, large flame, and the wick itself was curling (although I may have not trimmed it short enough before the burn test...) Will try an ECO 4 next.

I used an LX 20 in my 3.25" jar, and I was pleased with the burn rate. However, the wick mushroomed like crazy. This was my first time trying an LX wick, so I'm not sure if this is a common trait for this type of wick? But, and I quote from the Lone Star website, "These wicks are designed to reduce "mushrooming"...", so I'm not quite sure what was up. 

LOL, just wanted to mention, doesn't every wick say it's "designed to reduce Mushrooming"? LOL Seems like they all say that but it's not always true.

On 6/19/2018 at 6:43 PM, olives said:

I had to set testing aside for a bit but my most recent tests with HTP wicks were pretty good. Trying to find that sweet spot of the right size, though, is something I need to re-visit...but overall I was happy with the burn with those particular wicks!

Awesome, that's good to know about the HTP wicks. I have read other posts recommending the HTP wicks as well for the IGI 6570 coconut wax a.ka. IGI PARACOCO CONTAINER WAX BLEND. I'm thinking about ordering the IGI 6570 coconut wax blend.

• 3 weeks later...
On 5/1/2018 at 6:50 PM, TallTayl said:

My experience is if it has a mushroom in the pan it will in any size typically. 

I do do the Pan test to find which wick series perform best, and to aim for the right sizes to start in my containers. If my container is 3” I look at the melt pools in the pan from 2.5” to 2.75”

Hi @TallTayl, @pughaus and everyone else that conducts pan tests. I have my very first pan test in progress using IGI 6570 ParaCoco wax and I'm testing 3 HTP and 3 Performa wicks and testing for a 3" jar. Performa: 95, 100 & 130 and HTP: 93, 104 & 105. As other people have stated this wax is really beautiful and white, my husband even commented on it. 

I just did the 3rd round of burns and both wick types are doing great IMO. I burn in 4 hr. intervals. Basically only had mushroom issues on the very first burn and even that went away after the first trim. The flames have been growing tall requiring some trims due to smoke. I was disappointed the curling "self-trimming" HTP wicks still needed occasional trims. But overall, great results I guess. The Performa wicks just barely curl. I have measured the melt pools after each burn. Besides a marker, what is good to use to make marks on wax?

My question is, when do I stop the pan test? LOL. How do you obtain the most accurate melt pool results & measurements? Do you burn the wicks down to the bottom of the pan? Or do you only burn the wicks 3-4 times?

Looking forward to feedback, thanks.

2018-09-01 12.19.39.jpg

2018-09-01 18.25.18.jpg

Edited by Laura C
  • Thanks 1

@Laura C for gauging the MP diameter on the pan tests- I found it helpful, at the very start, to just take my glass, hold it upside down a press it into the wax around each wick. That gave me a nice indented circle that perfectly mirrored my container diameter.

re: melt pool depth- I don't know how much you can assess in an "open space" test like a pan test. The container is such a factor in MP depth.  I suppose you can try and compare consumption by looking at the depths in the pan, but IMO the pan test is really useful as a diameter test and to give a basic idea of wick performance in a new wax: flame heights, mushrooms, etc..

Edited by pughaus
  • Thanks 2

21 minutes ago, pughaus said:

The container is such a factor in MP depth.  I suppose you can try and compare consumption by looking at the depths in the pan, but IMO the pan test is really useful as a diameter test and to give a basic idea of wick performance in a new wax: flame heights, mushrooms, etc..

Ok great, that sounds good. Thanks for the quick response. Yes, I have gotten some good info from the pan test, so glad I'm finally doing one. I will certainly continue to do them with other waxes, it's so worth it. Can't believe I have waited this long to try it. I also made a few jar candles and used the wick that did the best in my pan test which was the HTP 104. Not sure yet if the HTP 104 will by my final choice.

As pughaus noted, the container size, shape and material play a huge part in the wick performance. 

I use the pan test test to see how a wick performs with no other variables. If the melt pool gets overly deep I predict it will not be a good fit in any of my containers. 

If the flame gets too tall and needs trimming during burns, it’s not a good fit for my line.

If your wick mushrooms on the first burn, but not following, give them a short trim before the first burn and see if that fixes it. If not it may be too problematic for retail sale. Not many people know how to manage a candle in all honesty. WHat happens if you don’t trim? Will it go out of control on subsequent burns? Will I be sooty? 

I gained several new customers over the summer thrilled that my candles are in tins. Candles they purchased recently in glass recently were over wicked and exploded in their homes. 

The pan test shows me the approximate melt pool width, and depth along with a general idea of the rate of consumption. It easily shows which will soot, mushroom, fizzle out or flame tall. From there I can adjust choices based on knowledge of the various containers I use. For tins, I look for wicks in the pan that are about 1/4-1/2” narrower than my container. The insulation of the tin will make up the difference in MP. For a glass vessel, a pan test width of 1/2” at least is my starting choice. 

I’m about to start a series of pans for wood wicks. I need to figure out the material and thickness differences. Those darned wicks are a total mystery still. 

• Thanks 2