Testing IGI 6570 - Coco/para wax

pughaus

I've got 25 lbs of this wax arriving Monday.  http://www.candlesandsupplies.net/IGI-ParaCoco-Container-Wax-Blend-per-25-lb.-cube

Let's test the heck out of it!

I'll start with a pan test and have enough empty pans to test 9 or 10 wicks comfortably.  Burn 1 will be next Sunday. 

For those of you that may be interested in this wax: What wicks would you like me to test?  Type/Size?  

• Like 1

I just poured my first test batch yesterday of this wax! I poured into the various jar sizes I use, but with no wicks...the jars are all straight-sided jars ranging from 2.5 - 3.25" in diameter. My plan is to poke holes in each and swap wicks out to test.

I'll probably do a test burn early next week when I have some time. I use ECO wicks normally, so I plan on testing those with the high hopes that they'll work 😂 just because I have so many of them! I have sample packs of CD and LX wicks as well that I'd like to try.

I'm looking forward to hearing about your results! I have no idea what to expect with this wax...

• Like 1

I would love to see you Test paper core and cotton core along with eco....if you can, curious to see how the paraffin in there does vs non paraffin cocos with those wicks 

I can send you cottons and papers if you don’t have any 

Edited by moonshine

@moonshine 

I don't have much in cotton core- I only have these:  (from Northstar): 

44-20-18
44-32-18
44-36-18

I've never tried any cotton cores.  In fact, I didn't even order these; they were shipped to me by mistake.  No idea about sizing on those. 

I  have these paper cores (bittercreek) 
44-32-18
51-32-18   
60-44-18

Am I missing a size in either that you'd like me to test?

• Like 1

@olives  I'm glad to see someone else is testing this wax.  I know you just poured it, but anything to note at this point?  I'm gonna guess since it's coco, that they're looking nice and smooth.  How's the adhesion so far?  

15 hours ago, pughaus said:

@moonshine 

I don't have much in cotton core- I only have these:  (from Northstar): 

44-20-18
44-32-18
44-36-18

I've never tried any cotton cores.  In fact, I didn't even order these; they were shipped to me by mistake.  No idea about sizing on those. 

I  have these paper cores (bittercreek) 
44-32-18
51-32-18   
60-44-18

Am I missing a size in either that you'd like me to test?

That’s perfect you have the same size in both so if you don’t mind sticking the 

44-32-18’s in there for both 

cotton is supposed to be hotter than paper but same size so this will be a good test in that wax to see how much difference there is 

Thank You 

• Like 1

21 hours ago, pughaus said:

@olives  I'm glad to see someone else is testing this wax.  I know you just poured it, but anything to note at this point?  I'm gonna guess since it's coco, that they're looking nice and smooth.  How's the adhesion so far?  

The adhesion is great, and I cannot get over how smooth they look...I actually keep running my finger over the top because it's like glass! One thing I did notice on 2 of the jars I poured is a significant dip in the middle of each jar. I'll take a shot tomorrow and post it...

• Like 2

Here are the 2 jars I poured that ended up with divots in the middle after cooling. (The other 2 larger jars didn't get these...) Interesting...I'm going to test burn the 9 oz jar on the left shortly; just stuck an ECO wick down the middle and heat gunned a bit to seal.

IMG_3815.thumb.jpeg.65d21b1263b64cadd5704b99c057031a.jpeg

2 hours ago, kandlekrazy said:

You might want to test the 60-44-18 Cotton core as well in the 3.25" jar.

Is that a wick that's worked for you in this wax?  I don't have a cotton core bigger than 44-46-18 right now.    

Edited by pughaus

First test burn report today:

I used an ECO 6 in my 2.5" jar, and it seemed to be too much for the jar. Fast consumption, large flame, and the wick itself was curling (although I may have not trimmed it short enough before the burn test...) Will try an ECO 4 next.

I used an LX 20 in my 3.25" jar, and I was pleased with the burn rate. However, the wick mushroomed like crazy. This was my first time trying an LX wick, so I'm not sure if this is a common trait for this type of wick? But, and I quote from the Lone Star website, "These wicks are designed to reduce "mushrooming"...", so I'm not quite sure what was up. 

• Like 1

I was going to test an eco 4 so that sounds about right. Is there an eco -1 size?   If I've learned anything in 4 months of working with coco wax is that I should just start with a tealight wick and work my way up.😋

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, pughaus said:

I was going to test an eco 4 so that sounds about right. Is there an eco -1 size?   If I've learned anything in 4 months of working with coco wax is that I should just start with a tealight wick and work my way up.😋

There is an ECO 1 but it's a tiny 1-inch tealight wick...even that would probably burn too hot! 😂

On 4/23/2018 at 6:02 PM, olives said:

First test burn report today:

I used an ECO 6 in my 2.5" jar, and it seemed to be too much for the jar. Fast consumption, large flame, and the wick itself was curling (although I may have not trimmed it short enough before the burn test...) Will try an ECO 4 next.

I used an LX 20 in my 3.25" jar, and I was pleased with the burn rate. However, the wick mushroomed like crazy. This was my first time trying an LX wick, so I'm not sure if this is a common trait for this type of wick? But, and I quote from the Lone Star website, "These wicks are designed to reduce "mushrooming"...", so I'm not quite sure what was up. 

LX wicks always mushroomed in my coconut wax test candles.

• Like 1

On 4/23/2018 at 3:02 PM, olives said:

@olives  In my SC21 unfragranced testers (in a filled 3" dia. tin)  an LX14  produced an almost 3/4" melt pool in 2 hrs and smoked like a little chimney with the slightest hint of a breeze . No mushroom though ;)   (I assumed the SC21 paracoco and IGI paracoco are pretty similar mixes... but who knows?! I guess I'll find out soon enough)  

To give you an idea how small I'm starting with this paracoco, last night I tested a Premier 725 in the SC21.   At 3 hrs, MP reached just abt 2.70"" and depth was abt 1/2" .  Unlike the LX, the Premiere didn't smoke at all, even if blown on. Tiny mushroom started to form at the end...  

1 hour ago, pughaus said:

@olives  In my SC21 unfragranced testers (in a filled 3" dia. tin)  an LX14  produced an almost 3/4" melt pool in 2 hrs and smoked like a little chimney with the slightest hint of a breeze . No mushroom though ;)   (I assumed the SC21 paracoco and IGI paracoco are pretty similar mixes... but who knows?! I guess I'll find out soon enough)  

To give you an idea how small I'm starting with this paracoco, last night I tested a Premier 725 in the SC21.   At 3 hrs, MP reached just abt 2.70"" and depth was abt 1/2" .  Unlike the LX, the Premiere didn't smoke at all, even if blown on. Tiny mushroom started to form at the end...  

That's great to hear about the Premier! I will order a sample pack next time I have to place an order with Flaming. 

I've moved on from the ECOs with this wax, I think. In my tests, consumption rate was really high and the flames were large. I'm going to start testing CD wicks next....

Did you try an eco 4 yet?  I was going to test that tonight.

The eco 4 is hungrier than an LX14 though- at least per the charts- so I suspect it will also be too much for this wax. 

I have a hunch an eco 2 might work better in unfragranced wax, but I don't think have one that small at home.   Maybe I should just open my sewing kit and grab some thread...

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, pughaus said:

Did you try an eco 4 yet?  I was going to test that tonight.

The eco 4 is hungrier than an LX14 though- at least per the charts- so I suspect it will also be too much for this wax. 

I have a hunch an eco 2 might work better in unfragranced wax, but I don't think have one that small at home.   Maybe I should just open my sewing kit and grab some thread...

I did try an ECO 4 and it gave me a full melt pool in about 45 minutes...so that's when I switched gears and tried the LX wicks. You have me laughing at the thread!!

I'm pretty sure read a review on one of the supplier sites raving about using an LX24 in this wax.  They must be making their candles on Pluto. 

re: the eco 4-  here's what wicksunlimited's chart says about that wick in paraffin after 1 hr.  So, your melt pool in the 2.5 jar was pretty close to theirs.  I feel like this is useful information for us and I also feel like I have no idea how to put this info into practical use ;)   

ROC 0.20 Flame Height 1.7

Pool Diameter 2.5

• Like 1