Coconut blend wax burning issues

kandlekrazy

I know there are many different mfg's blends of this wax so results may vary some.  My question is, do all the coconut waxes smoke or is it just the wick chosen?  I'm hoping it's the wicks they are using and that it's horribly overwicked.  I received a high end coconut wax blend candle in Fresh Linen and the candle is putting off black smoke even though I trimmed the wick way down before lighting it.  I don't remember getting smoke when I added a small % of coconut wax or coconut oil but this is probably 50% or more coconut wax since that's how it's marketed.

Asking because I literally just melted my turkey fryer with a blend of C3 and coconut wax so now I'm afraid to even make anything with it!  Although I used just 10% coconut wax as it's so dang soft!

I'm really sadden by the fact that a $45. candle that is no more than 7 oz is burning so badly!  Full MP in 30 mins and 1" deep in 1 hour, obviously over wicked.  Wish my family would quit spending good $ on candles for me 😀They think they are doing me a favor,  but my candles burn way better than these.

• Sad 3

14 minutes ago, kandlekrazy said:

I'm really sadden by the fact that a $45. candle that is no more than 7 oz is burning so badly!  Full MP in 30 mins and 1" deep in 1 hour, obviously over wicked.  Wish my family would quit spending good $ on candles for me 😀They think they are doing me a favor,  but my candles burn way better than these.

On the other hand, I am so happy OUR candles burn so well by comparison and really need to be price adjusted accordingly. 🤗

which brand are you burning now that is overwicked?

• Like 2

12 hours ago, TallTayl said:

On the other hand, I am so happy OUR candles burn so well by comparison and really need to be price adjusted accordingly. 🤗

which brand are you burning now that is overwicked?

Anderson Lilley

16 hours ago, kandlekrazy said:

I know there are many different mfg's blends of this wax so results may vary some.  My question is, do all the coconut waxes smoke or is it just the wick chosen?  I'm hoping it's the wicks they are using and that it's horribly overwicked.  I received a high end coconut wax blend candle in Fresh Linen and the candle is putting off black smoke even though I trimmed the wick way down before lighting it.  I don't remember getting smoke when I added a small % of coconut wax or coconut oil but this is probably 50% or more coconut wax since that's how it's marketed.

Asking because I literally just melted my turkey fryer with a blend of C3 and coconut wax so now I'm afraid to even make anything with it!  Although I used just 10% coconut wax as it's so dang soft!

Which coconut wax are you using?

I found the C3 is very hard and will harden more over time so with using only 10% coconut wax you shouldn’t have an issue with deep pools and soot if you wick it properly 

straight coconut is very sooty if you wick even the slightest to big from what I have found, the balance is tricky and like TT stated it’s all in the wick- size and series 

isn’t it amazing how awful some of these big brand expensive candles burn and throw.....it makes me sometimes think I’m crazy to keep trying for perfection 🤪

Edited by moonshine
  • Like 3

3 hours ago, moonshine said:

Which coconut wax are you using?

I found the C3 is very hard and will harden more over time so with using only 10% coconut wax you shouldn’t have an issue with deep pools and soot if you wick it properly 

straight coconut is very sooty if you wick even the slightest to big from what I have found, the balance is tricky and like TT stated it’s all in the wick- size and series 

isn’t it amazing how awful some of these big brand expensive candles burn and throw.....it makes me sometimes think I’m crazy to keep trying for perfection 🤪

I bought the coconut wax this time from California Candle Supply as they are close by and shipping was good.  It was slab but cuts so easy with a knife but I'm fairly sure the last one I bought years ago was even softer.  I only started using it again because of the soy issues.  I have 22# of wax in the turkey fryer so if it doesn't work for candles it should be fine for melts.  Hoping to try a few out today!

I know, we strive for perfection and yet the big companies getting the big bucks are crap!

• Like 1

I'm going to digress a little here, but it may explain some of what happened with this smoking candle...

I've made roughly 60 cocowax blend candles in the last few months using wax from various suppliers and none have smoked quite as badly as what I just saw on a youtube review of that brand's candle.  

OK, well maybe my 1st few candles smoked like that, but they were so clearly over wicked that even a newbie like me could see the problem.  I don't think cocowax is the real issue here...
I see that the brand  + candle you mentioned was just featured in a subscription beauty box and I wonder if that might have something to do with the recent quality; or lack of it.  I've sold to that box company and in my experience the manufacturer has anywhere from 45-120 (at most) days to ship upwards of 15,000 units.  This may be where quality control went awry for this candle.  Some manufacturers/makers get lured in by the idea of all this great exposure and they jump at the opportunity to sacrifice profit for brand exposure.  However, these beauty box co's insist on pricing that is often at or below production costs and brands either need to modify the product and/or outsource production to get the job done on time and meet the pricing demand.  Which sometimes means a poor example of their product is what ends up in the box. And those box subscribers love to rate the products in those boxes!  So instead of gaining future customers for their candle brand, a smallish candle company can end up with bad reviews and 5 minute videos on the internet of their smoking candle for all the world to see.  What a bummer.  
Which is to say, be careful what you commit to if a subscription beauty box co. ever comes calling ;) 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

I'm lost here and don't understand what was said.  What is a beauty box?   Never heard of anything like that?  So you are saying this candle company is putting out a candle and is sacrificing quality for quantity because of a beauty box which I don't know what that is.

Trappeur

@Trappeur  there are a bunch of subscription box companies out there, some bigger than others.  Examples are: fabfitfun, birch box, vellabox...  there are tons of them out there that specialize in everything from craft beers to cat stuff to candles...

Here's a link to one of the bigger ones: https://fabfitfun.com/get-the-box/?step=getbox&#plan=fffvip

Getting your product into one of these boxes can be a blessing or a disaster depending on how well equipped you are to produce a large qty of whatever you make, quickly and at a reduced cost.

• Like 1

A subscription box is like a club where you get to sample products that you normally would never know about. You pay a monthly fee and get samples of products like what pug mentioned above.

It’s a way to get your product into thousands of people’s homes with minimal marketing expenditure.

• Like 2

Adding. Anyone who has recently opened a shop on Etsy has been approached by at least a dozen people asking if you want to donate stuff for their version of subscription boxes.

On the one hand quite a few people will get your items. On the other hand they may not be in your target market so it could be a complete waste of time. And money. Lots and lots and lots of money

• Like 3

On the Smoking Subject -- I thought I would blend a small amount of 4630 with the coconut wax - for a harder to burn type of substance due to the deep melt pool of the coconut wax.... in two hours time, the room was SMOKEY!!! Had to air it out.   Does anyone know what can be used to harden the coconut wax just a little - so that the melt pool isn't so deep?

6 minutes ago, Grani L said:

On the Smoking Subject -- I thought I would blend a small amount of 4630 with the coconut wax - for a harder to burn type of substance due to the deep melt pool of the coconut wax.... in two hours time, the room was SMOKEY!!! Had to air it out.   Does anyone know what can be used to harden the coconut wax just a little - so that the melt pool isn't so deep?

sounds really overwicked to me.

what kind of wick? coconut is finicky.

a deep melt pool can indicate overwicked especially if using the wrong wick series for that wax. The flame could be too hot, but the "straw" too small to use the melted fuel. the smoke in the room sounds like overwicked using the wrong kind combined. that should not happen at all.

you dont want to see a melt pool like other waxes. Throw out all that candle wax knowledge when working with coconut wax. If you have complete melt pool in that short amount of time you are definitely over wicked.

• Like 1

First I used a CD - then moved to HTP. You are certainly right as this coconut wax is a world its own.  So now, I have a 100% Coconut Wax candle - just lit it. The flame again is as tall as Mt Everest and it is blowing smoke like a train. This is a new batch of wax I just purchased a few weeks ago.  I have an RRD wick in this candle. SMH - as I am beginning to suspect the wax may be an issue. I only say that because the last slab of coconut wax I tested didn't smoke like this at all. The only issue I recall  was the melt pool was very deep in 4 hours.

• 3 months later...
On 4/20/2018 at 2:49 PM, kandlekrazy said:

Hi @kandlekrazy just wanted to add my 2 cents. I have been using Coconut 83 for a while and I have tried almost every wick on the planet with it. ECO, RRD CSN, CD all had soot issues either from the beginning or once the candle burned down in the jar, even if I trimmed the wick real short. Turns out, at least for me, the paper/cotton flat braid wicks such as HTP, Performa and Premier 700 series have performed the best. I am still in the testing phase, not all of my candles have burned down completely yet. Would love to hear what you end up using. 

http://www.theflamingcandle.com/premier-700-series-wicks/

http://www.atkinsandpearce.com/candle-solutions/product-pages/htp/

http://www.atkinsandpearce.com/candle-solutions/product-pages/performa/

• 2 years later...

Not only is there heavy black smoke from this sensational brand coconut and beeswax blend tangerine guava candle that I recently purchased, I was watching TV the other night with the lights off and a candle burning, I turn the lights on about two hours later and the room was hazy, smoky, and the next morning there was black suit everywhere, toilet seat covers inside my refrigerator/freezer in my cabinets, this is happened to me three times after lighting this candle. Clearly this isn’t normal :( help! 

• Shocked 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 2/4/2021 at 3:46 PM, Shannonewesley said:

Not only is there heavy black smoke from this sensational brand coconut and beeswax blend tangerine guava candle that I recently purchased, I was watching TV the other night with the lights off and a candle burning, I turn the lights on about two hours later and the room was hazy, smoky, and the next morning there was black suit everywhere, toilet seat covers inside my refrigerator/freezer in my cabinets, this is happened to me three times after lighting this candle. Clearly this isn’t normal :( help! 

I know just the candle co you're referencing - if my google search was correct. I also had the same candle from them I purchased at TJ Maxx, different scent. The glossy white container they chose really highlights the insane amount of soot their coconut wax blend and wick gives off, doesn't it? I also noticed the wick was migrating indicating to me that their wax is too soft to wick correctly, because it seemed it was centered when I bought it (or else I wouldn't have). I got it to burn for R&D to give myself a boost of confidence for my own candles - it sure worked! It also sooted up my bathroom wall 🙄

Take it from me and know it's not just that one candle and it won't get better even if you trim the wick. I had to dispose of it. I'm not sure I could even salvage the jar. 

• Shocked 1

1 hour ago, moomin3 said:

I know just the candle co you're referencing - if my google search was correct. I also had the same candle from them I purchased at TJ Maxx, different scent. The glossy white container they chose really highlights the insane amount of soot their coconut wax blend and wick gives off, doesn't it? I also noticed the wick was migrating indicating to me that their wax is too soft to wick correctly, because it seemed it was centered when I bought it (or else I wouldn't have). I got it to burn for R&D to give myself a boost of confidence for my own candles - it sure worked! It also sooted up my bathroom wall 🙄

Take it from me and know it's not just that one candle and it won't get better even if you trim the wick. I had to dispose of it. I'm not sure I could even salvage the jar. 

I may have had the same experience with a similar sounding Tj Maxx purchased shiny white jar candle. Yikes. One I bought was wooden wick and it was just plain scary. I tried many different wick combos in it and gave up.  

• Like 1