Hello from from Upstate New York

Lnewbie76

Hello! My name is Lisa and I am so excited to find Craft server! I am the mother of eight children ranging in age from 25 to 2 and current student graduating with my degree in biology this May and I am planning to major in nursing in the fall. I am brand spanking new to candle making as a hobby and have started with soy and palm (with very unpredictable results🤯) I am really interested in learning as much as I can about my new hobby so that I can come up with a candle that I love and can feel proud to make as gifts for friends and family. Thank you for sharing and I look forward to participating in this helpful forum! 

• Like 2

Thank you everyone for the warm welcome!  @nursenancy What a gorgeous area of New York to live in! I would love to live a bit south toward the Catskills. We are about an hour plus north in Saratoga County. @TallTayl I am definitely finding that I have chosen some difficult wax to start with! I love the look of the palm wax but have had too many safety issues to feel comfortable continuing using it at this point, especially since I am so new to the craft in general. I am finding soy to be a bit confusing... it seems I either get it perfect or it is a total bust- quite unpredictable and unreliable. It is frustrating and kind of kills the fun of my new found hobby-the products come out looking great but only occasionally burn and smell great as well. Bummer, but I am determined!  I was considering  parasoy or coconut wax as I am interested in a "cleaner" candle and want to keep it as natural as possible, but I am totally open to anything including paraffin. It is certainly not as straight forward and easy as some of those youtube videos made it seem!