Soy wax prices expected to rise

15 minutes ago, olives said:

Ah, got it...but still, months to cure is not going to work for any of us! It's funny...C&S told me 24 hrs cure time...I have no idea how they are coming up with that as a recommendation!

It didn’t work for me with several wick series and I tested with CS mistletoe because it’s always been a proven strong thrower in any wax I ever used and it is now in coco slabs....6-7 months later 😂

• Sad 1

I am completely new to candle making.  First 10 lbs of soy had me looking for something else.  That something else was slab coconut from NorthWood Candle Supply.  I’ve liked the cold and hot throw, (willing to work out a wick solution) but the price per case is ridiculous.  Planned on switching to C&S slab coconut.  Discouraged by this thread.  Any good news out there?

Coconut  wax prices are on par with paraffin, and at present command a very nice competitive price. I found coconut wax to be more thrifty with fragrance, so the cost of the wax is offset somewhat by the savings on fragrance. This is good news! 

10 hours ago, fallujahkid said:

I am completely new to candle making.  First 10 lbs of soy had me looking for something else.  That something else was slab coconut from NorthWood Candle Supply.  I’ve liked the cold and hot throw, (willing to work out a wick solution) but the price per case is ridiculous.  Planned on switching to C&S slab coconut.  Discouraged by this thread.  Any good news out there?

Get a sample at C and S and try it out 

I only tested this in 1 fragrance in candles so it could very well be that fragrance just needed A long time to cure

I have been using it in melts and it throws well enough so you may have good results and it’s nice they allow you to buy a small quantity to try it out 

It is a very easy wax to work with and very nice appearance 

Edited by moonshine

On 4/22/2018 at 10:16 AM, TallTayl said:

Coconut  wax prices are on par with paraffin, and at present command a very nice competitive price. I found coconut wax to be more thrifty with fragrance, so the cost of the wax is offset somewhat by the savings on fragrance. This is good news! 

How much fo did you use in the coconut wax?

@TallTayl  Any idea when the prices are going up?  I am gonna be 3 hours from Reno next week,  (I could pick up some 464 from candlescience).  Not sure if I need to get some right away or do you think it can wait a couple months?

Edited by franu61

18 minutes ago, kandlekrazy said:

Going back to prices, please watch when you buy because my gut is telling me they will reduce the # in the case instead of raising the case cost.  You may only get 40-45# for same price.

So typical in the food industry.

that is pretty much what ecosoya has been doing. The re-release of the favorite old wax is not only priced higher, it contains 5# less than typical cases.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

I'm wondering if the current events in regard to trade with China might keep our soy wax prices down?

From May 4, 2018 ... "U.S. government data show China has been canceling U.S. soybean orders for three-straight weeks. " ...

"Using soybeans as a retaliation for other trade disputes is really worrisome for farmers," said Gregg Fujan, a soybean grower in Nebraska. "Those international markets are critical to our profitability. So hopefully the people doing those negotiations can come to an agreement and we can get this worked out."  Sen. Chuck Grassley, R-Iowa, said in a statement Thursday that soybean prices remain low and growers "are barely making ends meet." He called on the Trump administration to take short-term steps "to help farmers if they are harmed" by the retaliation. Longer term, though, he said there's a need for the administration to help the industry "find alternative foreign markets."   Article

5 hours ago, birdcharm said:

I'm wondering if the current events in regard to trade with China might keep our soy wax prices down?

From May 4, 2018 ... "U.S. government data show China has been canceling U.S. soybean orders for three-straight weeks. " ...

"Using soybeans as a retaliation for other trade disputes is really worrisome for farmers," said Gregg Fujan, a soybean grower in Nebraska. "Those international markets are critical to our profitability. So hopefully the people doing those negotiations can come to an agreement and we can get this worked out."  Sen. Chuck Grassley, R-Iowa, said in a statement Thursday that soybean prices remain low and growers "are barely making ends meet." He called on the Trump administration to take short-term steps "to help farmers if they are harmed" by the retaliation. Longer term, though, he said there's a need for the administration to help the industry "find alternative foreign markets."   Article

When I heard this on the news, I wondered the same thing...

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/6/2018 at 3:58 PM, birdcharm said:

wouldn't this make prices increase as to reach profitability?

Combine the shaky soy market with the fragrance manufacturer fires of late and we are in a prolonged state of turmoil.

here’s an excerpt from a small supplier explaining the latest in the fragrance world:

We wrote to you in November 2017 informing you of a fire in the Citral production unit of BASF, a major supplier to the fragrance industry. We have now been informed by BASF that initial Citral production has commenced, however supply chain replenishment will take time as downstream products become available in the coming months. 

As you may have heard, two other major fires have recently struck the aroma chemical industry. The first occurred in DRT’s plant in Roha, India on February 19th, 2018 affecting their Di-hydromyrcenol (DHM) and Anthamber® (ISO-E Super) production lines. Fortunately, there were no injuries but their factory suffered severe damage. On February 21st DRT declared Force Majeure on DHM, ISO-E Super and all by-products. Factory repairs will take at least 12 months. 

On April 26th, the other fire occurred at, the plant of Privi in Mohad, India, which destroyed large parts of the factory manufacturing DHM, Beta Ionone, Terpenyl Acetate, Citronellyl Nitrile and a range of other aroma chemicals. Again, fortunately, there were no injuries, but their factory suffered severe damage. Privi invoked Force Majeure on May 7th. DRT and Privi are market leaders for DHM and ISO-E Super, and together represent a major share of the global capacity of these products. 

These latest fires, which come on top of an already tight raw material supply situation, will result in major disruptions across the fragrance industry. These events are completely unprecedented. 

Quite a few fragrance raw materials are in short supply. This is an industry-wide Force Majeure.

[redacted] has decided not to accept re-formulated fragrances and will “wait it out” until the original ingredients are available. The manufacturers of the fragrances cannot guarantee that the same results will occur and will not provide samples for us to test before offering to our customers.

These disruptive events have put even further pressure on raw material costs. One manufacturer has already raised the prices by 10% across the already-expensive board.

43 minutes ago, kandlekrazy said:

Wow, the fun just never stops.

IKR, sucker punched at every turn. 

If ever there were a time when being a FOHO was a good thing, this is it. I have enough to get through at least a year, and incentive now to use up a lot that have been just sitting. 

Next up is a change to the business plan to shorten the list of offerings to take better advantage of bulk buying. How I envy those who have a super small, and profitable line. 

• Like 3

4 hours ago, TallTayl said:

IKR, sucker punched at every turn. 

If ever there were a time when being a FOHO was a good thing, this is it. I have enough to get through at least a year, and incentive now to use up a lot that have been just sitting. 

Next up is a change to the business plan to shorten the list of offerings to take better advantage of bulk buying. How I envy those who have a super small, and profitable line. 

I, too, am sharing in the angst. I am in the process of minimizing my fragrance line. Just bought more 415 and haven't even tested more than half my fragrances in my pallet from last fall....  'super small, and profitable'- music to my ears.

• 3 weeks later...
8 minutes ago, Sarah S said:

Did you guys get the email from RE? They are raising their FO prices. 😣

With all the fragrance manufacturing turmoil, i’m surprised it was not sooner. The chain of fires is so suspicious 😒