Are Business cards now outdated?

Do you think business cards are outdated? I think if you sell just mainly online they are sort of a waste. Just curious of others thoughts. I don’t keep business cards and not every mailorder gives me one so curious to hear other view points. In a digital world I don’t see them being as valuable I suppose. 

• Like 1

I give a business card with every sale I make, whether that be in person or online. And I carry them with me, because when I tell people I make soap and candles, they ask the obvious of where I sell, and how they can buy, so I whip out a card that has all that info right there on it, without me having to try and find pen and paper to write down the same thing for them. 

• Thanks 1

13 hours ago, Jcandleattic said:

I give a business card with every sale I make, whether that be in person or online. And I carry them with me, because when I tell people I make soap and candles, they ask the obvious of where I sell, and how they can buy, so I whip out a card that has all that info right there on it, without me having to try and find pen and paper to write down the same thing for them. 

This exactly. And what TT said as well. I get people at trade shows who dont buy but will ask for a business card. I fugure the 3 cents i payed for the bc is worth the potential sale if they decide to shop online or phone an order in. 

• Thanks 1

14 hours ago, Jcandleattic said:

You can also add a pic of your product/s on the back. I believe we used Vista Print to have ours done like that. Doesn't cost much more, and most people we have given them to usually flash us a little smile and a "hey, that's kinda neat". Regardless though, it gets a pic of your product out there, and that's never a bad thing.

• Thanks 1

I do the same, give a card out with every sale in person or online and wholesale accounts. I have them in a big cardholder at every market and craft show I do so people can pick them up and they are handy for me to put one in every sale bag.

I also got mine at Vista Print when they have their 50% off sale. So I get 500 for $9 so that's just a penny a card. But I usually buy at least 1000 or more so I have enough for the year and get an even better discount.

Why do you think they are not needed for online sales? Don't you put one in every box you ship out along with the shipping invoice? I do.

• Thanks 1

I love them. I love getting them from people, it tells me a lot about them. You can tell tons about a person from their business cards, are they actually a small business or hobbiest turning pro? Are they a "business" owner aka MLM rep? Did they hire an artist to do their cards? Are they backed by money and using MOO cards or are they like me, more uh financially aware and using Vistaprint?

• Thanks 1

At least with Vista Print you can make your cards from scratch and use your own artwork or photos. I do. The cards are nice and serve their purpose.

Next time I am going to do what JoeyG does and add a pic. But not to the back but to the front along with my biz name and catch phrase. On the back I will have all my contact information.

Edited by Candybee
  • Like 2

Just now, Candybee said:

At least with Vista Print you can make your cards from scratch and use your own artwork or photos. I do. The cards are nice and serve their purpose.

Next time I am going to do what JoeyG does and add a pic. But not to the back but to the front along with my biz name and catch phrase. On the back I will have all my contact information.

I designed mine myself too, and I love them.

I keep them for markets as often potential customers are not ready to buy or want something I don't have with me so they take a card to order online. Also, I put 1-2 in every order I ship with the thought that if they enjoy the products they will pass the cards along to friends or family. Possibly gets more sales! Small cost in my opinion to get my name out more.

• Like 1

Here are what mine look like....I designed them and put pictures on the back side of the cards.

I have standard business card size and also a size called chubby.  I get mine from Zazzle.

My signature label with my business name on them is the same as my business card.

Trappeur

5ad775a5b1019_SuzannesBusinessCards2.thumb.jpg.0d7f049be6ee839cad9b0c721b7cfe48.jpg5ad775a5b1019_SuzannesBusinessCards2.thumb.jpg.0d7f049be6ee839cad9b0c721b7cfe48.jpg5ad775d203f74_SuzannesBusinessCards3.thumb.jpg.de054a7f6e92466b2ce2c2b033c4d4be.jpg5ad775e6514fd_SuzannesBusinessCards4.thumb.jpg.b72d6e5ec61d592bda381004936a77c2.jpg5ad775fcaa696_SuzannesBudinessCards5.thumb.jpg.ed19533517b873b9471a1ac2a05589dd.jpg

Edited by Trappeur
  • Like 3

I haven’t been feeling well so sorry for the delay.

In a quick summary it’s a digital world now.

So you can still have face-to-face interactions with the clients while exchanging info. Most people have cellphones on them and along with that are on some platform if not all of social media. Even if at home using a pc only generally the seller will have their phone for credit card processing etc so can find the buyers acts to connect with and the buyer then once home with internet can vis versa.  This allows not only the client contacting the business but the business to reach out to them as well. Business cards just allow the client if they pretty much stumble on the card or something stiles their mind to find you per say. I’d rather create a two way active engagement. Also let’s say you think not everyone has a face-to-face encounter with you at a trade show - some people prefer not to and/or shy so there is a better alternative over cards still imo= get a nice sign with all your info on it (google for multiple examples) and ask people to take a picture of it. This sign can then be shared on social media, text messages, flashed to people you meet etc. Not to mention your more likely to scroll through your photo album on your phone than a pile of dusty cards. It’s more environmentally friendly and better on my budget to be frank. Plus I hate clutter so cards never lasted long in my presence at home. 

Cards use to be a rite of passage for business people and they to this day still serve some purposes but in crafts I think other ways work better. 

Sorry this is is all over the place I wanted to answer and not delay any longer...

to answer the invoice placed in orders mention above - I find it truly redundant if I placed the order online through a account. For example you have to have a account to order on Etsy- my order creates a digital document within my Etsy acct that I can access if needed. So why waste resources, my time to recycle and see what I am already can access if needed? I feel the same with business cards. As a consumer I’m like more garbage that I probably paid for that wasn’t needed. Because I’m the end the cost is factored in to the sales let’s be honest. 

Im happy to answer and share my thoughts more but wanted to touch base for now. 

I think you answered your own question with your own post as to how you feel about them. You asked if we thought business cards were outdated - the majority of us said no, we don't think they are outdated. 

There is no hard and fast rule that says you MUST have them, but most people gave you the reason they still use them, and why it's important to them to still use and have them. 

I personally get irritated if I buy something online and I then have to either go to my computer or phone and look up the invoice to make sure everything I ordered is actually in the box. I would much prefer an invoice or even purchase order included with my items.

However I do agree that if you don't want it you should have the option to "opt out" of receiving it. A lot of places I order from have this option, but a lot of them don't. 

• Like 2

I see your point @Barefootgirl. I would not put my business card in with a package someone bought from my site for the reasons you listed. However, I would put one in the packaging ordered off etsy because I want to redirect them to my site. 

At a show or event I love your idea about making a sign they could take a picture of. Even at the Dr or dentist I tell them not to make out an appointment card...I just put it in the calender on my phone. So, that would be a great option for consumers like us who do not want the card. But I would still have them for the people that do. And there are still a lot of people who would want them. 

By giving the customer the choice you are saving resources without missing out on potential sales. 

• Thanks 1

At trade shows NOBODY takes pics of cards. Everyone asks for a card. And cards are followed up on. Cards open doors. 

At my selling venues even even though my contact info is on my products in multiple places people still ask for cards. They give the cards to friends, who in turn visit my shops both in person and online and purchase. Think beyond the immediate customer. When your customers love you they spread the word. That card goes into a wallet for a while, the. Handled a few more times. It is a psycho.ogical selling powerhouse tool.

I can write a note on the card, give a special purchasing code,  whatever. A card goes into sample packages that may be given as a gift to a different recipient. 

A business card is a piece of your branding. When people see your logo they think of you. You need to be in front of your customer as often as possible so they become trained to think of you and initiate that desire to buy your product when notlooking at their phone. I don’t know about you, but it is really hard to find specific pic on my phone among the hundred thousand other random pics I take.

What works for one won’t for another of course. It depends on your market and what works where your market customers are too. Here locally at trade shows people do use the signs with great success and have more people snap a picture of it than take a business card. 

Most onlind orders has a emailed receipt too so I just keep them until my order comes. It’s easy to find by using the search bar in the email. Or adding it to a specific folder set up in the email acct which I use for other things. 

Just curious of others viewpoints and I probably did seem like I answered my own question through my posted opinion.  I was just curious of others thoughts and what works for them. Still love to hear more people’s views on this even if outside of my own. Sharing thoughts help open up other view points. 

My drs are all online so the appt are easily accessed and made through the health portal which I love. You can then take the appt and have it added to your phones calendar.  I think the world is just headed in the digital direction more.