Candle Containers glass jars or Tins?

Hello Everyone,

I recently started making candles as a hobby, and I made some for my church, as a result, a few people have asked me to make a candle from them pushing me out of my hobby comfort zone. Currently, I am using 464 wax, and eco wicks (which I am going to try another wick), and 6oz mason jars. I saw some cute metal tins on sale at TJ Max and decided to give them a try. Friday I made some vanilla scented 4oz candles in tins. My question is, what's the preferred container for candles glass jars or tins. Also, I live in New Orleans and have not found a local glass jar distributor, I have noticed the shipping on them to be expensive. Does anyone have container supplier recommendations? 

Thanks in advance for helping a newbie out.

If you're doing just for you and friends, you can pick up candle jars at Dollar Tree if you have those there, or just about any .99 store.  I personally can't sell tins where I'm at but every area is different.  I always marketed tins as travel candles, since easy to pack and don't break.  You really have to be careful with wicking tins as they can get hot and burn too quickly if over wicked.

Thanks, we do have Dollar Tree, I will have to do a little more looking. I was there last week and could not find any glass jars with lids. I'll try another location. Also, thanks for the heads up on the tins.

Remember, too...that it MUST be for candles...I saw some of the "storage jars" at Dollar Tree with lids, and I would not trust that they are properly tempered for candle use. If the glass gets too hot, it can POP or crack when the candle is burning. Mason jars do work well because they are manufactured for high temperature use when canning. The ones I bought were candle glass, but did not have lids on them. I hope this helps?

• Like 1

That's a great point Hopie!

When I first started out, I made a candle in an old drinking glass. I was merrily burning it, until one day I thought about the time I drained boiling pasta water into the sink... With a drinking glass in it... And the glass cracked and shattered. I threw the candle out, lol. Candles do create a lot of heat in a confined area, better to be safe than sorry!

• Like 1

Thanks, everyone, I went to the Dollar Tree and you were right the sales associate showed me some glasses that I would say is good for preserving jam but too thin for candles. If anyone has any other suggestions to order jars from please let me know. I'd hate to gift a candle to someone and the jar breaks because of having the wrong type of jar. 

• Like 1

There are many candle glass suppliers online, you can do a search for them, and find the best shipping rates to your area (the closest one to you may be best, but not always). You can also peruse the canning section at WalMart, they do have a lot of jars to consider. Putting pretty ornaments or decorations on them will spiff them up for gift giving :) If you're happy with the ones from WalMart, at least you'll be able to get them almost any time you want, without having to wait for shipment. (unless canning season is underway, lol)

Edited by Hopie
  • Like 1