First burns!

So, I’ve been doing some test burns with my first ever pour of candles (they’re the most cured :)) I made three with an eco 10, 12, and 14 wick. These photos show the one with an eco 12 wick almost down to the bottom in millennium wax with very little FO (.5 oz) in an 8 oz tin after the fifth burn of 3 hours. I’m just curious since I know I’ve read a few times that you want to leave some hang up on the tins (so they don’t get too hot to handle) if this is still too much left over wax? The eco 10 has left just a little more than this on the sides and I haven’t burned the 14 just yet. I maybe switching waxes completely to a parasoy if I wind up liking the one I recently ordered so I know that might totally switch up my wick game... but basically I’m just posting these to get an idea of just how much hang up IS too much on an 8 oz tin no matter what kind of wax...?

67C63CD2-0690-4BC7-BF8F-5A5632375555.thumb.jpeg.813d33449b002e06670741e461f0b58d.jpeg98B0F8B9-F348-4AE5-887F-8D9BBFFEB1CC.thumb.jpeg.710e6ce4864490f54235944497cc663d.jpeg

.5 oz of fragrance is about 8% in that size tin. That’s not “a little”, it’s a bit more than the usual 6% many use as a bench mark. It appears a bit underwicked from these photos for that fragrance and burn style, but a single moment in time picture does not tell the whole story. It could also be a result of the length you trimmed the wick to each time it was lit. 

your result of this one does not auto,atically mean the same for all future fragrances (or even this fragrance) in this setup. the fragrance itself could have altered the burn. Eco 10 in millennium with my last burn presented a much bigger melt pool with far less hang up on my tin.

a typical test burn by labs like precision wicking is about 4 hours in a 70*F room. That last hour makes a huge difference. I would finish this tin as you’ve been testing, then make another set the same way, cure for a week or three and let burn for a little longer each time. Leave one with a slightly longer wick before burning. Leave one untrimmed.  As little as 1/8” of wick difference upon lighting can make a difference between a tunnel and a completely clean-of-wax container.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, TallTayl said:

.5 oz of fragrance is about 8% in that size tin. That’s not “a little”, it’s a bit more than the usual 6% many use as a bench mark. It appears a bit underwicked from these photos for that fragrance and burn style, but a single moment in time picture does not tell the whole story. It could also be a result of the length you trimmed the wick to each time it was lit. 

your result of this one does not auto,atically mean the same for all future fragrances (or even this fragrance) in this setup. the fragrance itself could have altered the burn. Eco 10 in millennium with my last burn presented a much bigger melt pool with far less hang up on my tin.

a typical test burn by labs like precision wicking is about 4 hours in a 70*F room. That last hour makes a huge difference. I would finish this tin as you’ve been testing, then make another set the same way, cure for a week or three and let burn for a little longer each time. Leave one with a slightly longer wick before burning. Leave one untrimmed.  As little as 1/8” of wick difference upon lighting can make a difference between a tunnel and a completely clean-of-wax container.

Well, Id used 0.05 ounces.....? My apologies if I’m explaining things incorrectly. I’m still trying to get this measuring thing down. :( didn’t even use the full ounce, so I didn’t believe I’d added too much. I also have been trimming the wick each time... but maybe I’d trimmed to much or something.

Thank you for your input though. I believe I’m going to just look at these as my “getting used to doing the basics” such as pouring and so on...!and really test once I change waxes, as I believe I’ll be switching for numerous reasons. We shall see.

Edited by Grungedoll

0.05 oz is about a teaspoon, is that what you used? 0.5 oz is about half the typical one ounce sample size bottle. There’s a big difference between the two that will definitely change the burn. When measuring, especially for small batches, it’s great to use a scale. Even small measurement variations can change your final candle. 

if you are using a teaspoon worth of fragrance, the wick required will usually (not always) be bigger than when using more fragrance. This is because the composition of the wax changes dramatically with additions of aromachemicals and carriers. 

When doing initial wick tests, I use unscented, I colored wax to learn it “naked”. In almost all cases I need to wick down a size when adding typical retail available fragrance at 6%-8%. The added liquid oil of the fragrance lowers the melt point and changes the viscosity of the wax justvenough to be a simpler burn. When people add more and more fragrance that melt point shifts considerably more. 

I guess from the way you explained it, it was more 0.5 oz. as it took maybe a tiny bit less than half of the 1 oz. bottle I used. How much do you normally use in a lb of wax (a little over a pound fills 3 8 oz. tins)? I’ve always read that 1 oz. was the norm per 1 lb wax, so I figured if I tried about half I’d be in a good starting place as it was a very concentrated oil. Is that not true for tins....?

That was my original plan but as I said, they were more concentrated (candle cocoon fo) and I’d read a bunch of posts where most people said they’d used half with their lb of wax since it’s so strong. 

When testing I’ve also been letting it burn for 3 hours and putting it out each time since I’ve read you should let it burn an hour for the diameter of the container. But then I’ve also read some people say to burn it longer.

Just so many opinions and specifications..... I really hope I can get the hang of this at some point soon!

Reading over this, I honestly think I wasn’t very good at explaining what I’d done in my original post :/ As I said- I’d used that .05 oz. of FO for a little over a pound of wax to fill three 8 oz. tins with three different wicks... Not just the one tin (that would be a lot of FO for one :o) this is one of them. So I think that’s where some of the confusion came from. I’m sorry! Hahah. Thank you again for all your help! And Ive noticed already that the learning never stops.. but being something I genuinely enjoy, I’m glad. It’ll keep me interested and make me strive to be better at it. It helps having boards like this as well to help you along the way!

Edited by Grungedoll

For a while I had thought of trying out the millenium wax and had researched for a while and I see where the recommended wick was the htp and then came across posts where others preferred Cd's.  Couldn't find any posts where eco's were tested.  So the possibility of a different wick series I would think would be your next choice of wick if you don't succeed with the eco's.  Of course too through testings, some oils being heavier require a larger wick.  I love Candle Cocoon oils and use less percentage of oils being they are so concentrated.  Sounds like you did all well.   In looking at your pictures, yep it does look a tad underwicked, but like TT said, finish the burning series.  You might be better with the eco 14.  What oil of Candle Cocoons is in these tins?  How is the throw on the tins?

Trappeur

• Like 1

On 4/16/2018 at 9:30 AM, TallTayl said:

You are the only person that i have read or watched online to say what room temp and wick scenarios. I had my room at 77f.  I saw yesterday someone in the uk say 62.  I have searched this and got no results until these last few hours and thats by luck of reading on parasoy.  I gave up on the q230 and 444 for now because i had trouble. So i will focus on the 6006 instead.  Thanks for posting

11 hours ago, Trappeur said:

For a while I had thought of trying out the millenium wax and had researched for a while and I see where the recommended wick was the htp and then came across posts where others preferred Cd's.  Couldn't find any posts where eco's were tested.  So the possibility of a different wick series I would think would be your next choice of wick if you don't succeed with the eco's.  Of course too through testings, some oils being heavier require a larger wick.  I love Candle Cocoon oils and use less percentage of oils being they are so concentrated.  Sounds like you did all well.   In looking at your pictures, yep it does look a tad underwicked, but like TT said, finish the burning series.  You might be better with the eco 14.  What oil of Candle Cocoons is in these tins?  How is the throw on the tins?

Trappeur

Thank you, Trappeur. Im glad to hear I’ve done things well. :) Ive heard a lot of good things about cd wicks and htp too,  so I’m definitely thinking about grabbing some. Do you think they’d work well in CB-130? I’d heard of ECO working well in millennium and that which is why is grabbed them first, but I’d love more input. Any idea where would you start size wise with either of those wicks for an 8 ounce tin with a 3” diameter...?

Sorry Grungedoll, but being I have never used that wax I couldn't even make a suggestion as to what wick to suggest to start off with.

Did you let the candles cure b/4 you lit them also?.   That's very very important.   But then paraffin doesn't need what but 2 days?  I don't know.

You'll just have to test, test, test, lol, till someone who uses that wax comes along here and makes some suggestions.  Now if you wanted some possible suggestions on 464 or c3, then I could help you with suggestions no problem....I know...just aggravating...

Trappeur

1 minute ago, Trappeur said:

Sorry Grungedoll, but being I have never used that wax I couldn't even make a suggestion as to what wick to suggest to start off with.

Did you let the candles cure b/4 you lit them also?.   That's very very important.   But then paraffin doesn't need what but 2 days?  I don't know.

You'll just have to test, test, test, lol, till someone who uses that wax comes along here and makes some suggestions.  Now if you wanted some possible suggestions on 464 or c3, then I could help you with suggestions no problem....I know...just aggravating...

Trappeur

Oh that’s ok, thank you for your input anyway! I let them cure for a week. I do have others at home that i made recently where I used a full ounce of falling leaf for three tins and I think it’ll definitely have an amazing throw (the CT is crazy strong) and they are the prettiest candles I’ve made so far! Nice and smooth... I was SO proud. But sadly I can’t stand the scent! So I may not be able to even burn them, haha!

Ive thought a lot about using C3, and I’m still in the process of choosing my rightwax right now... so if I go that route you can bet I’ll be asking some questions! :) 

:thumbsup:

I've looked often at Fallen Leaf but for some reason when ever I order a woodsy leaf scent from anyone, I don't really care for any of them and I love outdoor scents.  They all smell like crap to me.  Now Vanilla Voodoo is my go to vanilla....don't use anything else.   Sultry Angel is soooo different and beautiful and I normally don't go for that type scent, but I love it.  Their Ooey Gooey Caramel is so rich.  Their Lilac is awesome and I don't care for florals but like this one!  I ordered ages ago a sample of Fairy Dust and Twinkle Toes all for the name, lol, but haven't put in wax yet.  And I just got some Malayan Mango the other day.  I have heard that Red Banana is great scent.

Trappeur

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Trappeur said:

:thumbsup:

I've looked often at Fallen Leaf but for some reason when ever I order a woodsy leaf scent from anyone, I don't really care for any of them and I love outdoor scents.  They all smell like crap to me.  Now Vanilla Voodoo is my go to vanilla....don't use anything else.   Sultry Angel is soooo different and beautiful and I normally don't go for that type scent, but I love it.  Their Ooey Gooey Caramel is so rich.  Their Lilac is awesome and I don't care for florals but like this one!  I ordered ages ago a sample of Fairy Dust and Twinkle Toes all for the name, lol, but haven't put in wax yet.  And I just got some Malayan Mango the other day.  I have heard that Red Banana is great scent.

Trappeur

Yeah! I love woodsy scents, and I had high hopes for it.... but Fallen leaf just wound up smelling like some really terrible perfume. (And I love perfume) but this was too much. I like Winter woodland a lot, that and the strawberry got good reactions when I had a few people smell them. I’ve heard so much about Vanilla VooDoo, I really want to try it. I also got daydream believer which is insanely mint, but I think might be really nice in wax. I also got a sample of the mango I actually really like OOB which is crazy when I normally don’t like mango at all! They have so many great sounding scents!

18 hours ago, Grungedoll said:

Thank you, Trappeur. Im glad to hear I’ve done things well. :) Ive heard a lot of good things about cd wicks and htp too,  so I’m definitely thinking about grabbing some. Do you think they’d work well in CB-130? I’d heard of ECO working well in millennium and that which is why is grabbed them first, but I’d love more input. Any idea where would you start size wise with either of those wicks for an 8 ounce tin with a 3” diameter...?

I use HTPs with CBL-130, it's a great combo. For a tin that size, I'd start with a 73 and go up or down from there, but that's an educated guess, I don't use tins myself. I'd be concerned that an 83 or 93 would get too hot toward the bottom.

6 hours ago, Sarah S said:

I use HTPs with CBL-130, it's a great combo. For a tin that size, I'd start with a 73 and go up or down from there, but that's an educated guess, I don't use tins myself. I'd be concerned that an 83 or 93 would get too hot toward the bottom.

I have HTPs already on the way! Id been thinking of testing them too. Thanks for the tip. :)