Striking out at the local market

Tokoo

After letting my soy candles cure for a month, I took them to the local market to sale. They are 8oz jars, and due to not having pretty labels, I was more worried about making my money back instead of a profit. I priced them out at $6, I went 2 days so far, and my results were not good. I also took a pound of individual melts for $1 each. I sold 1 candle, and 5 tarts in 2 days, I figured with Mothers Day, around the corner, and only one person in my area that sells candles I would sale at least 4-5.  I have 5-6 different scents, like fruit loops, butt naked, blueberry, monkey farts, and love spell. Very few people even looked at them, but the ones that did told me how awesome they smelled, but thought they were to high. Not sure were to take them now, but I don't think I will be able to sale them at that market, I guess I could try online, but their not really pretty enough for that I think. Any suggestions.

• Like 2

I agree with @Iansmommaya, your prices are too low. Can you post a picture of your booth and your products? It may help if we can see it. When it comes to marketplaces, sometimes, it's a matter of who your customer base is, and what type of a marketplace it is. Was it a farmer's market? A flea market/swap meet? A craft show? A fair? 

Your approach with customers is also a factor in selling. Did you say hello to each and every person who stopped to look? Did you have conversations about your candles, the reason they should try them? Did you have signs clearly stating your prices? How was your boot represented? Is everything displayed in a pleasing way, or just plopped on the table? 

At our very first market we sold...NOTHING! At our second market, we sold a measly $7 worth of merchandise, so I know the pain! After honing our offerings, and our selling skills, we now travel and do this full time, so it can be done! We'll be entering our 6th year in September. 

Also, if you have a printer, you can create some pretty good looking labels right on your computer, even if they're just in black and white. Perhaps they need a redo? 

• Like 3

It takes a while to find “your” customers and your niche. “My” customers live nowhere near me. 

Plus, it takes several times for someone to see you and risk tring a new seller. My largest annual event took three full years to build a Customer base. Nothing is an overnight success. Keep plugging along til you figure out your brand and following. 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, iansmommaya said:

Friend, I wish I had a photo of my old labels. You would laugh they were SOOO BAD.

Your prices are too low. Can you do other labels or hire someone?

The labels I am using at the moment are just simple. Scent/Oz and 100%soy, nothing fancy. 

I can make new labels, that wouldn't be an issue, I just haven't been able to think of a name/logo yet. Didn't think that  would be a huge issue. 

I agree I original was looking at 1oz per dollar, or 1.25. I discounted these just to see, and was surprised when people like that's to much. 

5 hours ago, Trappeur said:

Can you post a picture of your candles and your booth set up?

Trappeuir

I don't have a booth. I just set out on a table, we don't really have a fancy market. Most people use tables, or sheets to lay stuff out on. 

This is a pic of the candles my G/F took just playing around with names and backgrounds etc.

30595165_206334269965645_6496759121830739968_n.thumb.jpg.ca1e5976f2d7d49685a8beccdd7e2d7e.jpg

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Hopie said:

Your approach with customers is also a factor in selling. Did you say hello to each and every person who stopped to look? Did you have conversations about your candles, the reason they should try them? Did you have signs clearly stating your prices? How was your boot represented? Is everything displayed in a pleasing way, or just plopped on the table? 

Ya, I had a few people ask if they are easy to make, etc, I tried to explain everything I could, in a way they would understand. 

I did have the prices marked, which I don't like to do. I use to sale all the time at markets, and one thing I noticed that has changed is everyone labels prices now. It's not bad, but I always felt you lost an easy opportunity to start a convoy with people by per-pricing, but I love to Haggle, which know one does anymore. 

9 hours ago, TallTayl said:

It takes a while to find “your” customers and your niche. “My” customers live nowhere near me. 

Plus, it takes several times for someone to see you and risk tring a new seller. My largest annual event took three full years to build a Customer base. Nothing is an overnight success. Keep plugging along til you figure out your brand and following. 

I couldn't have said this better! As I said, we did just awful at it the first few times out, and we just kept going back. Once people know your name, they "know" you, and are more apt to buy from you. 

Your jars look nice, so that may not be your issue. Although, I'd want a cute logo of some kind, perhaps a company name, something they can identify with when they see you again. Perhaps dress your table up with a colorful tablecloth that will catch their eye? You didn't say what part of the country you're in. Are you rural? How about a tablecloth that looks country, like gingham? Dollar stores may even have them to start out. You'd be amazed what a buck or two can do to make a booth look good. Walmart sometimes has sale bolts of fabric that you can get at a very good price.

You may also want to find other venues to sell at. Is there any other place to sell your candles? Find the local event listings and try those. We do well at a certain County Fair in our area, but you really have to have a lot of product to do them, and yes, they can cost more for the booth, but it's the high foot traffic you're after. 

Don't give up easy, keep going out there and trying new things. You may even have a customer come by who wants to order a batch for a special occasion or gift. 

Do post pictures of your table for us when you do your next show, there's a lot of help and encouragement here, and everyone started somewhere. Now GO GIT 'EM! :D

5 hours ago, Hopie said:

Are you rural? How about a tablecloth that looks country, like gingham? Dollar stores may even have them to start out. You'd be amazed what a buck or two can do to make a booth look good. Walmart sometimes has sale bolts of fabric that you can get at a very good price.

Thank you. I live in a backwards, unspeakable county of Virginia lol. There isn't any other markets close by, I would have to go out of state for the next nearest, which maybe my best bet in honesty. I am working on making a few displays, but there not finished yet, I make sure to pick up a table cloth, my girlfriend said we needed one at the market as well.

Your candles look great, but may not be right for your market.  As frustrating as it is, we all learned this way.   I would play around with other jars, if it's a farmer's market, the mason jars do best in our area.  Our more upscale events, the status jars or something like what you have pictured.  Every area is different.  While your price was low I don't think it factored into the little sales.  I put all the candles I outsourced on sale at 1/2 price and they flew off the shelves.  When I started I used just a frosted tumbler, it was simple and seemed to appeal to every market.  Eventually I learned what worked in different settings.  It all takes time.

• Like 1

Since you are rural, you can always go the internet route. I will say, it takes time to learn that, too. Amazon is your best bet. Read the rules carefully, take fantastic pictures, and get your customers to "smell" with your words. Don't write a "novel" in your description, but do try to get your customers to "smell" and  take a chance by ordering from you. I was very successful on Amazon for many years, shipped six days a week. Just got to feeling too cooped up in the house so we went the show route. "For now" :D

• Like 1

12 hours ago, kandlekrazy said:

I would play around with other jars, if it's a farmer's market, the mason jars do best in our area.  

I honestly was thinking about this as well. I personally don't care for mason jars tbh, I know a lot of people love them though so its worth a shot. 

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, Hopie said:

Since you are rural, you can always go the internet route. 

Thanks, I was thinking about Esty but never used it before. I used Ebay years ago, but it doesn't seem to be that good now days. I have used Amazon off and on over the years but never cared much for it, I have to look into this route a little more.

15 hours ago, Tokoo said:

Thanks, I was thinking about Esty but never used it before. I used Ebay years ago, but it doesn't seem to be that good now days. I have used Amazon off and on over the years but never cared much for it, I have to look into this route a little more.

Amazon is a CASH COW :D. Do a search regarding the top ten sellers on Amazon as far as candles go, one is in a mason jar with a handle, some are upscale, and some are in more plain jars. It's a powerful place to sell. Trust me when I tell you this :) 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Hopie said:

Amazon is a CASH COW :D.                  It's a powerful place to sell.                 Trust me when I tell you this :) 

Now you have my interest perked Hopie :Dcan you elaborate ? Have you sold on Amazon. I have looked at selling on Etsy and Ebay....but never considered Amazon .

Sorry I condensed your message 

• Like 1

I sold online for 13 years... Ebay, Bonanza and Amazon, and Amazon is a total cash cow compared to Ebay or Bonanza. I would compare sales levels at...20:1! The very best way to take your photos yourself is outdoors. NEVER indoors! Use the natural light of a sunny day for the pictures. You'll be amazed at the results! :)  You can do a search of my feedback on Ebay if you'd like, and as you know, not many even leave feedback...my username was: sweethopie

Edited by Hopie
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Hopie said:

I sold online for 13 years... Ebay, Bonanza and Amazon, and Amazon is a total cash cow compared to Ebay or Bonanza. 

Just Amazon or Amazon Homemade page, not really sure there is a difference. 

I didn't sell candles on Amazon, but another totally different line of products (mostly bedding/blankets). You could try the homemade page, check on how many listings you see. If there are a lot more listings for candles, go for the regular Amazon page. Remember, you are always after the highest traffic, whether you're selling at a show or online :)

EDIT: I just did a handmade check, there are over 10,000 listings for candles. However, in the regular search for "Candles", I got over 200,000 results. You could try listing in both sections, play around with it and see what you get! Gee, there's one of a 12 oz soy candle selling for $24.99. Not bad, 'eh? 

These photos of other people's listings can always give you ideas of jar types, sizes, labeling techniques, and a lot of other things. Study them intensively and come up with your own unique ideas :)

Do let me know if I can assist you in any way, I guess you could call me an "expert" at selling online.

Edited by Hopie

It is a huge learning curve, just like making candles :)  But, if you have a work at home desire, it can be lucrative beyond your wildest dreams! It was for me. I just wanted....to....go....OUTSIDE! :D

EDIT: Was surfing Amazon, and this seller has really nicely packaged candles. At 383 reviews, you can bet they are selling a lot....I'd guess only about a quarter of buyers actually leave reviews (if not less!) 

Way Out West Aromatherapy Candles Stress Relief 2 Pack with Natural Essential Oils of Lavender, Eucalyptus Spearmint and Rosemary (2) 8 Ounce Jar Candles- Spa Quality Gift and Made in America

Edited by Hopie

1 hour ago, Hopie said:

Was surfing Amazon, and this seller has really nicely packaged candles. At 383 reviews, you can bet they are selling a lot....I'd guess only about a quarter of buyers actually leave reviews (if not less!) 

Ya that's one things that bothers me about the feedback system, no really uses it, but it is what it is. 

Thanks for all your advice, this will differently help me out a lot.