what is causing this wax ring around the top of candle?

Can anyone tell me what this wax ring is around the top of my candle?  This is IGI 6006 (which I love) and about 2/10 candles end up with this mysterious ring.  It's not a huge deal but it's a big pain to clean it off before I deliver to my customers.  *shudder*  This is an 11 oz tumbler, FYI.

IMG_4137.JPG.6990c33af9316b6675732e490f5c7dcd.JPGIMG_4136.JPG.77cb52a722c0a94640ce4d10b0447826.JPG

5 hours ago, lightmyfire said:

Can anyone tell me what this wax ring is around the top of my candle? 

I get this some times, if I pour them hot even though its recommend to pour hot, what is your pour temp.

2 hours ago, TallTayl said:

Could easily be simple shrinkage. Do you mark where you pour to?

Like TT said 6006 shrinks like crazy on me, so I now pour around slush, and their isn't any shrinkage. 

IMG_4138.JPG.68e021140f6932fd2877cc2f97efc70e.JPG

Great-thanks for the replies!!  Call me crazy but I have designed a candle cocoon that I wrap around my candles as they cool.  Sometimes I wrap it a bit lower on the tumbler and that's when I see the shrinkage.  Since I work with small batches this process works for me.  Obviously if I were pouring huge batches this would be crazy to try to do. 

• Like 2

• 1 month later...
10 hours ago, kandlekrazy said:

Love you're little cocoons!  We have such creative crafters on this forum.

Thanks!!  Now that I make sure they are pulled all the way to the top of the glass when the candles are cooling I don't get the waxy ring anymore and never, ever any wet spots.  :partywhooo:

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Gary in Canada said:

Cocoon idea is great...I may have to borrow that idea :-)

I have recently switched to 6006...may I ask what type of wick you find works best in 6006? I've only tried HTP's so far. 

Thanks.

I use CD wicks

2 hours ago, Gary in Canada said:

Cocoon idea is great...I may have to borrow that idea :-)

I have recently switched to 6006...may I ask what type of wick you find works best in 6006? I've only tried HTP's so far. 

Thanks.

if you make these cocoons, just hit the Walmart or Joanne's remnant bin and check for felt.  

• Like 1

10 hours ago, lightmyfire said:

I use CD wicks

Thanks...the HTP works just ok...Im trying ECO's now, and I guess I will have to order some CD's to try.  

I will try your cocoon idea..I could see that working especially in the winter. 

On 5/20/2018 at 10:32 PM, Gary in Canada said:

Thanks...the HTP works just ok...Im trying ECO's now, and I guess I will have to order some CD's to try.  

I will try your cocoon idea..I could see that working especially in the winter. 

I tried the Eco's first--they are really made for pure soy wax

• 1 year later...
On 4/9/2018 at 5:49 PM, lightmyfire said:

Can anyone tell me what this wax ring is around the top of my candle?  This is IGI 6006 (which I love) and about 2/10 candles end up with this mysterious ring.  It's not a huge deal but it's a big pain to clean it off before I deliver to my customers.  *shudder*  This is an 11 oz tumbler, FYI.

IMG_4137.JPG.6990c33af9316b6675732e490f5c7dcd.JPGIMG_4136.JPG.77cb52a722c0a94640ce4d10b0447826.JPG

If I had not already read this post, I may not have noticed the wax ring around this Bath & Body Works candle that Rumer Willis is sniffing, LOL. You're not the only one. 😉

https://www.businessinsider.com/bath-and-body-works-success-store-photos-2019-6

5cf57c8511e2051a946e6045-1334-1000.jpg

• Haha 1

• 3 weeks later...