How do you dry your bath bombs?

I am still testing out recipes (probably on my 15th recipe...) but I need a way to let them sit and dry and harden without the bottoms flattening out. Letting them dry in the molds usually works, but then I run out of molds and sometimes they stick to the mold as they set. I have also tried some bubble packaging stuff but they still come out a little uneven. What do you all find works well for you?

This recipe is my mom's favorite so far. It's VERY oily, probably too oily. like it leaves a but if a slick on the tub. After 3 weeks of drying in a dry climate I can push my finger into the bomb and leave an indent. It also sinks like a rock. 

1.5C BS

0.5C Cornstarch

0.25C Kaolin Clay

0.75C Citric Acid

1oz Shea Butter

0.8oz Sweet Almond Oil

1.5Tbs F.O. 

0.05oz Distilled Water

0.3oz Polysorbate 80

This recipe comes out pretty firm. If I leave it in the mold for like an hour or two it comes out pretty solid. I did one batch packed pretty tightly and I could probably play baseball with them, but they sink like a rock so I did another batch packed almost too lightly and they sort of bob. They start out floating and then they sink. There's also no noticeable silky feeling in the water so my mom didn't like them at all. They also don't fizz much.

500g Baking Soda

15g Kaolin

20g SLSA

250g Citric Acid (added at the end after liquid ingredients)

20g FO

20g Sweet Almond Oil

10g Distilled Water

4g Polysorbate 80

here is a link to a tutorial i did a while back that may (or may not) help.

I learned over time that I dislike fillers like corn starch. they cause more trouble than they are worth.

slsa slows fizzing and can be drying.

cream of tartar hardens mine up faster than anything.

notice on the vid I dried them on the counter directly, and no flattening.

• Thanks 2

On 4/9/2018 at 12:07 PM, TallTayl said:

I made these recipe awhile back TT is 100% correct, this was the first batch I made that held up. I am thinking it maybe due to the ingredients being in grams instead of Oz, more accurate. However I have been playing around with removing the Cornstarch, Cream TarTar, and the SLSA, for the reason she explained.

I use Bubble wrap, I get a lot of it free from items I ordered, so I just lay it out depending on thickness, and lay bombs on it for 24hrs.

• 3 months later...
5 hours ago, Fitzfam2009 said:

TallTyl, for this recipe, did you use Poly 80 or DLS Mild?

I did batches with each. DLS mild presented a problem being that it is a liquid based surfactant. I had to really fluff fast to stop it from reacting before molding.

I don't love polysorbates, but they work.

15 hours ago, TallTayl said:

I did batches with each. DLS mild presented a problem being that it is a liquid based surfactant. I had to really fluff fast to stop it from reacting before molding.

I don't love polysorbates, but they work.

I was wondering because I could not get my bombs to end up that hard. Still amazes me! I don't use cornstarch, or cream of tartar, but I use Kaolin clay.