Before I Begin

Tokoo

2 hours ago, Tokoo said:

I guess this is what people are using it for, but most list it as ingredient, but not the amount or what for.

There are some hot process soaps that will use alcohol in them but... yeah, no... That's just for making your own melt and pour, and you have to add glycerin in there and PG and it's so involved I won't even go there... (and I'm ALL ABOUT the bad ideas...) 

Sponiebr,

The Executor of Bad Ideas and Sundry Services 

• Haha 1

I think everyone has pretty much covered the topic at hand, but I just wanted to say, I do spray the tops of my soaps with 90% rubbing alcohol - this is twofold for me. It helps prevent ash, and it helps bind my glitter to the tops of my soaps (I guess it sometimes makes the soap shiny as well) 

But I do not spray/use the alcohol until the soap is completely in the mold and ready to set aside to saponify. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/9/2018 at 8:48 PM, Tokoo said:

I guess this is what people are using it for, but most list it as ingredient, but not the amount or what for.

Sorry, I just saw this comment. I've never seen alcohol listed as an ingredient in homemade soaps, so not sure what you are referring to? Can you elaborate, or show where you see this listed as an ingredient? 

On 4/7/2018 at 6:11 AM, Sponiebr said:

There are some cardinal rules you CAN'T BREAK:  

Soap cold... 

Not technically a hard and fast rule. I now soap at RT, but I used to soap with warm oils and hot lye and never had a problem with that other than my batter moving faster than it does now. 

I switched to RT method purely because it's easier to masterbatch 200lbs of oils and 12lbs of lye at a time than it is to weigh out each batch at time of soaping.