Incense ponderings...

Sarah S

I love incense! I love to burn it, I love to make it, and it's a good seller for me. But I have run into a couple of issues that are ruining my love-fest here.

Issue 1- testing

How does one go about testing an oil for incense? I cut my FO 50/50 with DPG and then I dip my sticks. In order to only dip a couple of sticks to test, I would be measuring out the teeeeeeeniest amounts of both and then, what? Dribbling over a stick or two? Usually I dip a bundle in a long skinny flower vase, or I have a small beaker type thing that holds about 20 for a small batch, so I'm scratching my head over this. 🤔

Issue 2- stinkiness

I have had several batches recently that have turned out horrible!! The oil smells awesome, until you light it. Then the resulting smoke is simply vile, a coat-the-back-of-the-throat kind of chemical smell. At first I though it was just the oils from one supplier (as I had a couple from them that did this), but nope, now I'm getting it with several suppliers. And it's kind of random, like not limited to a certain "type". I assume it's one of the fragrance components (duh), but gosh it's frustrating to not be able to predict what will do it and avoid that type of fragrance.

Issue 3- product waste

So related to issue 1 and 2, I have quite the bundle of bad incense sitting around. My "test" batches are no smaller than a dozen sticks, but that adds up quick over several fragrances. It's killing me to think of throwing it away, so much waste! If I let it dry out really really well, can I re-dip it? I'm thinking no, but if anyone has a magical answer for me, I would be so happy. 🤓

It doesn't seem like many people on the board make incense, but @Hopie has mentioned it, and I think @Scented used to make it? If anyone has advice, I would be super appreciative!

TIA!

My first question is are these reformulated fragrances that you know of? 

My second is are you using fresh DPG? 

My first comment is not every fragrance is cut out to be incense. With that in mind, what are the fragrances and who are the suppliers where you're getting this from? I might be inclined to tell you to try a 2:1 ratio and see if that weakens your fragrance too much. 

I agree with Scented, some fragrances are just not great in incense. I did research regarding the most popular, classic incense scents and went from there. I don't do much testing any more because I know what sells for me. I also use the 50/50 DPG mix. Here is a list of my best sellers, if it helps?

Cherry

Sandalwood

Patchouli

Sage

Dragon's Blood

Frankincense & Myrrh

Vanilla

Egyptian Vanilla (my own mix of very vanilla and Egyptian Musk, 50/50)

Nag Champa

Kush

Very Berry

Lavender

Opium

These are off the top of my head, but with these scents, you can't go wrong. They'll sell. I do add additional scents now and then. If I want to test them, I'll do a once ounce test on a bundle, then burn them to test the scent. If it stinks, I toss 'em. I once did a batch in chocolate decadence, it was lovely and mellow to burn. It didn't sell too well, but I like it and make it occasionally for us. 

If your sticks are drying out, you can re soak them in the same fragrance only, dry then bag n' tag. They'll smell just as good. 

Edited by Hopie
  • Thanks 1

On April 3, 2018 at 9:45 PM, Scented said:

My first question is are these reformulated fragrances that you know of? 

My second is are you using fresh DPG? 

My first comment is not every fragrance is cut out to be incense. With that in mind, what are the fragrances and who are the suppliers where you're getting this from? I might be inclined to tell you to try a 2:1 ratio and see if that weakens your fragrance too much. 

These aren't reformulated that I know of. Most of them I got about a year ago, so it's highly unlikely. And they work great in other applications.

The DPG is good, I used it to make an awesome batch on the exact same day I made a horrible batch, so I'm pretty sure that's not the culprit.

I definitely suspect it's a common element in the fragrance formulas. I wish there was a way to isolate whatever that might be in order to avoid fragrances with it, but I wouldn't even know where to start with that.

Most of my problem oils have come from Filmore, although there are a few from NG as well. So far I haven't had any issues with FO from RE or Aztec, so maybe I'll just stick with them for my incense.

On April 3, 2018 at 11:48 PM, Hopie said:

I agree with Scented, some fragrances are just not great in incense. I did research regarding the most popular, classic incense scents and went from there. I don't do much testing any more because I know what sells for me. I also use the 50/50 DPG mix. Here is a list of my best sellers, if it helps?

Cherry

Sandalwood

Patchouli

Sage

Dragon's Blood

Frankincense & Myrrh

Vanilla

Egyptian Vanilla (my own mix of very vanilla and Egyptian Musk, 50/50)

Nag Champa

Kush

Very Berry

Lavender

Opium

These are off the top of my head, but with these scents, you can't go wrong. They'll sell. I do add additional scents now and then. If I want to test them, I'll do a once ounce test on a bundle, then burn them to test the scent. If it stinks, I toss 'em. I once did a batch in chocolate decadence, it was lovely and mellow to burn. It didn't sell too well, but I like it and make it occasionally for us. 

If your sticks are drying out, you can re soak them in the same fragrance only, dry then bag n' tag. They'll smell just as good. 

I was so surprised, because one of the oils I have this issue with is Patchouli, and another was a Witches Brew dupe. You would think they would be great! It's got to be a chemical in the FO itself, because the issue is the fragrance morphing horribly as it burns.

I am going to throw away my bad batches I guess... 😭😭

I hate to have that much waste, but re-dipping them in the same FO is only going to make it worse, I'm sure.

Thank you both for your input, I appreciate it!!

I would think patchouli and witches brew would be fine. However not all patchouli's are alike, that is true. But if you've not had this trouble in the past are having now, then there has to be another culprit here unless you've swapped fragrances. 

@Hopie, I meant to ask you, what is Kush? I have never heard of that fragrance before.

I love the typical incense fragrances, but sometimes I really want something different. One of my favorites is Blue Sugar. It's way too overpowering (for me) in cosmetics or candles, but it makes the awesomest sweet & sexy incense ever! 

You mentioned that your fragrance oils you used are about a year old. It might be that the fo themselves have gone bad. I know some last fine for years and smell and act like new however I always was taught the shelf life of fo is a year. So thought I’d make mention of that for what it’s worth. Might be, might not be that but it’s a thing to look into. Also it might make a difference if you’re using charcoal or wood based sticks too.  I’ve read that mentioned and that some scents work better with charcoal since the wood based ones sometimes added a smokiness aroma when burning. I’ve only used the wood ones though. I haven’t made any in over 10 years though ugh. 

@Sarah S Kush oil is "supposed" to smell like pot, the one I buy doesn't, but it's a sultry, somewhat earthy scent with a touch of sweet tossed in. Thus far, my customers love it. I carry the body oil, as well, so they can wear it. A lot of people won't buy charcoal incense, so I stick to the wood. I get this one, as well as my patchouli at thecommonscents.com (a very true patchoui scent!). They carry 2000 scents, sticks, DPG, etc., as well as the body oils. They're in Utah, so decent shipping rates to me here in Arizona. 

I agree with Barefootgirl, if the oils are old, they may have a very "off" scent to them. Toss 'em n' buy some fresh. I've had some for years, with no off scent, but others...not so much. I hope this helps? :)

On 4/7/2018 at 10:51 PM, Hopie said:

A lot of people won't buy charcoal incense, so I stick to the wood.

I noticed on Etsy (only market example I've monitored, though) that the type of incense that is meant to be tossed over a charcoal disc burner can actually sell pretty well, if 

1. The marketing is thoughtfully tailored to the new age, neopagan and esoteric earthy/nature sorts of folks.

2. The physical mix of things looks aesthetically interesting or even pretty (or otherwise appeals aesthetically to the above folks, thematically).

3. There is a little esoteric/mythos/folklore background on some of the ingredients (again marketing for the folks who like that).

4. The price is a little high when considering the volume of product and what is actually in it (marketing psychology, i.e. this is "better" than "regular" incense, implied).

It's basically like a potpourri you burn, and while the number of customers shopping for it is significantly less than those shopping for the usual sticks/cones, the demand strength is still there, likely due to limited number of suppliers and the perceived special factor. (Which in their own way, some of these products are special from the thoughtfulness and artistic angle on top of smelling good.) Basically the folks who want to actually burn something on a charcoal disc tend to be really into the whole thing, so they appreciate the marketing factors and will even pay more for their items.

From one of the fellow crafters I learned about "Kyphi" which was an Egyptian style of incense/resin balls burned on the discs. This seller had their own modern touch and spin on it, their items were really neat and if I had the spending to money to spare, I'd order some of their stuff, myself, to try lol. 

Edited by NaughtyNancy

When I added incense to our booths, I started out with the charcoal sticks (HEM). I found them hard to sell. I had comments that people didn't want to burn charcoal in the house. That was the reason I started making the incense myself, which consists of sticks with wood pulp. When I did that, they sold very well, so I just kept adding scents. 

Some have told me it's the best incense they've ever smelled. What is my secret? I soak them about 2 days (sometimes longer, if I'm busy) When I drain them, I only drain off enough oil to empty the center of the bundles (drain too long, and you loose scent). I then lay them flat (horizontal), bundle intact, for drying. After 2-3 days, I bag 'em and tag 'em, they are sometimes still "slightly damp", that is to retain the oils/scents as much as possible. 

• 1 month later...