Which Scents Do You Loathe Working With?

Hopie

Like many that have already posted I hated floral scents. They give me such a headache but most of all Baby powder and Jasmine they are the worst. I had to pour 100 baby powder shower favors and I had to leave the house while making them as it was just so bad with all that scent. 

Karen in MA

On 4/8/2018 at 11:39 AM, kfintoni said:

Like many that have already posted I hated floral scents. They give me such a headache but most of all Baby powder and Jasmine they are the worst. I had to pour 100 baby powder shower favors and I had to leave the house while making them as it was just so bad with all that scent. 

Karen in MA

Respirator respirator respirator 

then open all the windows and doors 

• Haha 1

On 4/8/2018 at 8:39 AM, kfintoni said:

Karen in MA

OMG, all that baby powder? I loathe that scent, or anything that smells like it! *coff, coff...spit...honk, gag*! I could not imagine having to pour 100 at once! I commend your tenacity to get that job done! :lol:

• Haha 1

On 4/1/2018 at 8:45 PM, Hopie said:

I did piles of incense this week, since I have quite a following for them. A few of these scents are just horiffic to deal with. Which scents do you really dislike working with? For me, the top of the list has to be Dragon's Blood. YUK! Second worst is probably Lavender. (I know, I know, everyone loves it but me!) Hmmm...third would probably be Patchouli. Not as bad as the first two, but I'm just not a fan of the scent.

What are your favorite scents to work with? I love Sandalwood, Cherry, Egyptian Vanilla, Kush, Sage, Frank & Myrrh, Lemmongrass and Plumeria. Heaven scent! 

Late to the party, and haven't read the rest of the responses, but I used to HATE working with Dragon's Blood also, that is until Mad Oils (Now mad micas and don't carry fragrances anymore) had a Dragon's Blood and sent me a sample. I fell in love, but it is the only one I like. 

Lavender FO or EO doesn't matter, gives me an instant migraine, so I HAVE to wear my respirator when working with that scent. 

Patchouli, Nag Champa, anything within that realm is not my favorite at all. 

I do love working with anything fruity and I do a ton of blending. Hardly any of my scents I use are straight out of the bottle but blends of 2-3 or more scents. 

On 4/2/2018 at 10:05 PM, Sponiebr said:

Oh, my serious "PLEASE-don't-make-me-do-this" scents are 

The please shoot me NOW group: 
Sandal wood 
Opium

Nag Champra
Menthol
Eucalyptus 

The AVOID-NOPE-CAN'T-MAKE-ME-DON'T-WANNA-NOT-GONNA group:

Leather (this one is about as close to a "shoot me" as it gets) 
Amber (There are a couple I can stand, and one I actually like (TT's)  but generally this is a big NOPE for me. Usually my problem with amber is strength of application...)
Musk, (this is a weird one for me, sometimes it's fine but most of the time I can't stand it. This is another strength of application scent) 
Lilac... ( I dunno, I'm just not overly plussed by this stuff.) 

That's really about it... Generally, I'm not overly fond of super flowery-baby-powder-French-whore scents but meh, once in a while... circumstances permitting, something like that will grab my fancy.  (I'm just say'n it happens... SOMETIMES....)  

Slainte, 

Sponiebr
The Executor of Bad Ideas and Sundry Services

Sandlewood is one of my favs...........try blending it with other floral or earthy scents.......and even fruity scents.  Amber and musk are strickly blending fos to me....they are to obnoxious to me when used along but when blended with other scents, they to add a hint of """"nice""""

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

• 3 weeks later...

Is Red Egyptian Musk similar to Dragon's Blood? If so, I hate it lol I have a pound of it and am thinking of throwing it away. It is The worst smelling scent I've ever smelled. I hate Patchouli, Lilac, Lavender, wood smells. I love fruit and bakery scents. This one makes me sick. I can't believe it is allowed to be sold.lol

• Haha 1

The only one i have used so far that i cannot stand is candlewic's maple bourbon brioche.  just making the candle gave me a massive headache for over 5 hours.  I wont even burn the candle.  I gave one to my mom to give to someone she works with and my dad will burn one downstairs sometimes and i can smell that thing in my room so i close the door so i dont get another headache from it.  Candlewic''s smoked ginger isn't the best smelling either but i think it might not be bad if i cut that one back from a 6% fo to maybe a 4%, but since i used it all i will not buy anymore just to test it at a lower fo %.

Edited by ncraiders
added another scent

@ncraiders, I will add Maple Bourbon Brioche to my list of what not to order.  :)

My Daughter in law was out somewhere and smelled a candle called Bourbon Barrel something.  It's been a year or so, I forget the exact name.  She and my son wanted to know if I could come up with something similar.  I ordered a sample of Bourbon and Brown Sugar from Rustic Escentuals, and boy was that stuff nasty.  At least to me.  I don't like the smell of any alcohol and sure couldn't smell any brown sugar.  So my DIL is out of luck on getting any kind of Bourbon Candle from me.  

On 4/8/2018 at 11:39 AM, kfintoni said:

Karen in MA

I bought a cheap bottle of Mom's Baby Powder from The Candlemaker's Store.  One of their 'special buys.'  Oh it smells awful!  But my cousin just loves it.  She has brought 25 oz jars for me to fill with that stuff.  I have one regular size jar of Baby Powder and I can't give it away.  Well maybe I will, to her.  :)

But I got a sample of Baby Powder from Brambleberry some years back and it actually smelled nice.  It did smell like Baby Powder. But I still wouldn't want to make candles with it.

When I made Baby Shower candles for my granddaughter's shower, I used Cinnamon and Vanilla and called it Sugar & Spice.  (Like the poem...Little girls are made of sugar and spice and everything nice.)

Then someone asked for candles for a baby boy shower.  Well I couldn't make one called Snakes and snails and puppy dog tails.  I wanted them to be blue of course, so I came up with using Blueberry Cobbler and called them Little Boy Blueberry.  

• Like 3

On 4/9/2018 at 5:29 PM, moonshine said:

Respirator respirator respirator 

then open all the windows and doors 

Ya know, when I pour these type of scents, I usually include a little patch, amber, musk,sandlewood  mixture.........somehow, it helps to defuse the fragrance and makes it ok....but then I'm one that likes earthy scents.

• 4 years later...

I made some Rose Jam Lush type candles last night and I can hardly stand the smell. Ewww.

I knew there was a thread somewhere about scents we hate and at first I couldn't find it. Then I searched the word 'nauseous' and there it was. :) 

Yes, Rose Jam almost makes me nauseous, but customers have asked for a rose scent. I like to smell real roses and that's it.

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/18/2022 at 9:55 AM, GailC said:

I made some Rose Jam Lush type candles last night and I can hardly stand the smell. Ewww.

I knew there was a thread somewhere about scents we hate and at first I couldn't find it. Then I searched the word 'nauseous' and there it was. :) 

Yes, Rose Jam almost makes me nauseous, but customers have asked for a rose scent. I like to smell real roses and that's it.

The one that immediately comes to mind for me is Candles & Supplies version of Dragon's Blood. It's a sickly sweet, powdery smelling mess 🤢 They had a really good one 20 years ago when I first started making candles. 

• Like 1