Which Scents Do You Loathe Working With?

Hopie

I did piles of incense this week, since I have quite a following for them. A few of these scents are just horiffic to deal with. Which scents do you really dislike working with? For me, the top of the list has to be Dragon's Blood. YUK! Second worst is probably Lavender. (I know, I know, everyone loves it but me!) Hmmm...third would probably be Patchouli. Not as bad as the first two, but I'm just not a fan of the scent.

What are your favorite scents to work with? I love Sandalwood, Cherry, Egyptian Vanilla, Kush, Sage, Frank & Myrrh, Lemmongrass and Plumeria. Heaven scent! 

You are not alone with lavender. I do not enjoy it ato all. I just started working with LS Honey Lavender Gelato and it is very nice. Just enough honey to cut the bite of the lavender. 

I had ordered dragons blood a long time ago but decided against working with it because it was just too much. 

There have been others, but with so many fragrances I do enjoy, I only work with the oils I really like. So far anyway!

Yes, Dragon's Blood is a really vomit inducing scent! It's a big seller in incense, so I'm "obligated" to make it. I once had a lady who owned a spa in Florida, and she would order my soy candles by the case in Lavender. Had to open all the windows with fans facing out when I made them, LOL! 

Sweet Bakery ( prob because of high vanilla content) or anything pumpkin.  Gags me something awful.  Then to the nose I don't like the perfume type scents, probably because perfume gives me headaches.  I still make some of these but my respirator mask helps.

Edited by kandlekrazy

I used to despise florals but find I really like them now - weird 

sweet bakery makes me nauseous-especially gingerbread - I don't have many sweet foods in my line at all....I just can't do it except for a few basics 

I love patchouli but my people don't  dragons blood is okay but I could see how too much pouring of it could make you sick of it - it's got some deep heavy scents to it 

My favorites are herbs and woods - could pour them all day long every day 

Lily, gardenia, most lavender, mango, low quality and "budget" vanilla*, whiskey/bourbon.

* - if they have the plastic/tar-like, chemical note or the nauseating powdery note (like a bathroom freshener).

I hate most florals, nag champa, dragon's blood, lavender, perfumey fo's, and most coffees.  There, I said it.  Confession is good for the soul.

Which brings me to a good business point.  If we only pour what we like, we'd lose a ton of sales.  

Love pouring citrus scents, pumpkins, and vanillas.  I'm good with most bakery scents, too.  Also love the scents of lumber / trees.  Cedar wood, for example.  I like patchouli, too.

Edited by Crafty1_AJ
additions
  • Like 3

Nag Champa. Bleck!

But the hardest to work with for me is Honey Gingerbread from BW. I absolutely love this scent but if I don't wear my respirator I get serious stomach cramps from it. NO kidding I hunch over in pain from the cramps. Goes to show you how powerful FO vapors are.

I really hate florals, and I'm super picky about fruits. Other than that, I'm pretty liberal and don't object to categories of fragrances, although there are some specific FOs that I have sworn to never pour again. 😆

Reflecting on @Crafty1_AJ's point on pouring what we like, I try to keep everyone (including myself) happy with blends. Lavender makes me want to gag, but when I mixed it with chocolate it was pretty nice, so I poured that for my lavender lovers. The pink lilac and willow has just enough green in it to make it tolerable, things like that.

Although there is no way to get around the fact that I despise NG's Nantucket Garden, and both my mom and my sister have requested it for their birthdays.... 😂😂

Love most Florals although I have had a few horrific ones! really not to fond of bakery smells or vanilla or pumpkin in candles..... I like linen smells & green earthy smells I hate anything that smells like men's cologne , perfumey, or incensey....love mint in soaps but not in candles

I'm not a fan of florals, especially Magnolia or Gardenia. I can stomach lavender if it's soft. Some lavenders are so sharp they give me a headache. I'm not a huge fan of leather but that's what I sell the most of, that and leather blends. I really like it blended though. I don't like most men's cologne scents but most men and the women around here do. 

Not much of a fan of anything with patchouli but I do like amber. Didn't think I would but I got a sample of Tall Tayle's or Moonshine's (can't remember who right now) and it's divine!

My favorites are Bakery like banana nut bread and sugar cookie royale, vanilla bean noel and scents like that.

Oh, my serious "PLEASE-don't-make-me-do-this" scents are 

The please shoot me NOW group: 
Sandal wood 
Opium

Nag Champra
Menthol
Eucalyptus 

The AVOID-NOPE-CAN'T-MAKE-ME-DON'T-WANNA-NOT-GONNA group:

Leather (this one is about as close to a "shoot me" as it gets) 
Amber (There are a couple I can stand, and one I actually like (TT's)  but generally this is a big NOPE for me. Usually my problem with amber is strength of application...)
Musk, (this is a weird one for me, sometimes it's fine but most of the time I can't stand it. This is another strength of application scent) 
Lilac... ( I dunno, I'm just not overly plussed by this stuff.) 

That's really about it... Generally, I'm not overly fond of super flowery-baby-powder-French-whore scents but meh, once in a while... circumstances permitting, something like that will grab my fancy.  (I'm just say'n it happens... SOMETIMES....)  

Slainte, 

Sponiebr
The Executor of Bad Ideas and Sundry Services

Edited by Sponiebr

I use essential oils only so that may skew my preferences, but among them and I feel like I'm double crossing for even saying this... ylangylang and other tropicals like that. I AM SO SORRY! PLEASE DON"T CURSE ME FOR SAYING IT! spitspit spitspit

I tend to love the earthy, musky and head shop scents. Patchouli EO is a favorite of mine (though it can be tricky as heck to blend with FO's, sometimes resulting in this weird and unnerving porta-potty smell - dead serious - so I always do tiny sample tests first). 

I have a love/hate thing with citrus in all of its forms (grapefruit, orange, lemon, pineapple, etc). It's not my sort of thing, and it's by far the most popular request I get as far as themes of blends. So to me it's boring and just sort of ugh. On the other hand, it's super easy to blend with damn near anything. When making a small gift for a lady, I know that I can blend Hungarian lavender EO, orange EO and a FO such as bergamot black tea and have a 99% chance she will like it. It's a classic sort of staple, I guess.

In the rare case I get a request for something like a custom dragon's blood, I'm just like YESSSS

I'm basically a scents-weirdo in love with anything that smells like dirt, actual leaves/wood, smoke, musk, etc, in an area where this sort of theme is somewhat popular, but I seem to mostly attract the classy middle age lady demographic who want flowers and citrus lol.