Website Product Pics

Jeana

B&B Product Photos for Websites  

14 members have voted

1. 1. Should soap and candle product photos for websites have staged backgrounds, or should they be just the product, with plain white backgrounds?

• Product only with a plain white background
    • Product with staged background (soap in dish, or a flower next to it)

14 hours ago, Jeana said:

I had a couple light set ups, but someone broke into my storage cabinet outside my shop and stole all my photography lights :( I really don't want to buy it all again so i'm trying to improvise lately. 

Geez, that's awful someone stole your stuff @Jeana. I have had 2 different break ins, it's a horrible feeling and really makes me mad. 

On 9/14/2018 at 8:50 AM, Laura C said:

Geez, that's awful someone stole your stuff @Jeana. I have had 2 different break ins, it's a horrible feeling and really makes me mad. 

It is horrible to have things stolen. I didn't notice too much until now that I would love to be using the equipment. 

To make things worse, I'm pretty sure it was a homeless guy I was trying to help too. I got a description from people that saw it happening.The description fits the guy and his friend perfectly 😡 I'm just super glad they didn't actually break into my shop. It could have been way worse then.

1 hour ago, Jeana said:

To make things worse, I'm pretty sure it was a homeless guy I was trying to help too. I got a description from people that saw it happening.The description fits the guy and his friend perfectly 😡 

Oh wow, and that's the thanks you get for trying to help the guy. That's really a shame.

• Like 1

On 3/30/2018 at 5:31 PM, Jeana said:

I've always done the slate, stones, iron, or barn looking wood for my product pics, (See below) but I'm trying decide whether to stay with this, or just use those types of shots for feature photos/banner photos on the site. Then go with the no background for the products. Here is a good example of the no background look https://soaptopia.com/collections/all-soaps

The thing that kind of bugs me about this website is that the pics seem so "in your face".  And if you have light colored soaps, it can look a little washed out. But I think it is a more modern look for commerce sites these days. 

IMG_1007.JPG

IMG_1019.JPG

IMG_1032.JPG

Photoshop has been one of my hobbies for the past nine years and I’ve read a lot and learned a little about graphic arts. I love the colors and textures in your pictures. Photo composition is all about brain chemistry and the brain likes things to be level, like the first shot, second shot is also good because the subject is level. If I were processing these pictures I would reduce the color in the background and blur it a little to make the product pop. You should be able to do that with any photo manipulation software. I started with Photoshop Elements, but there are less expensive alternatives, you may already have one on your computer. The problem is learning to use them. That’s just my opinion, I also think your soaps look great!

• Like 2

I’m not an expert here, but this is a subject I have studied from several angles. The thing you have to be careful about is not letting the background detract from your subject. If you are going to have a background it should be there to enhance the product. When you look at the picture your eye should be instantly drawn to the subject. I highly recommend that you take multiple pictures from different angles and using different f stops. After that trust you eye as to which is the best.

• Thanks 1