Hacked---AGAIN! Anyone else?

11 hours ago, Scented said:

We just had someone go for an international flight off our debit card and it was associated with one of three businesses. The bank's guess was Aztec's site because of the International attached to it. We've not had problems with this company in the past so I'm guessing it happened during site transfer if that was the case, but we ordered from two other places as well and need to have these places check the security of their sites. 

Just be sure to check statements, but the problem with a debit card is they aren't as secure as one would hope. 

OMG!!! This situation just keeps getting worse . Absolutely unbelievable this is happening .I know for sure mine was Aztec because I only made 1 transaction online with this Co only . I am still trying to get the shipping address from the companies the items were ordered from . This is not such a easy task . It's due to privacy .I even tell these companies ,I was hacked & they still will not release the address .It's just so frustrating to get hacked . This is a felony crime & nothing is getting done about it .I am certainly trying ,without any luck .

• Like 1

Oh, and using a debit card for internet purchases is always super risky. Add a layer of protection using either PayPal or a credit card.

Paypal can be instructed at time of purchase to pull funds from a credit (or debit account) adding an additional layer of protection. 

Prepaid credit cards are probably the safest, since they have a limited amount of money tied to them. Add money to it as you purchase to only cover the immediate purchase. 

• Like 2

Well after reading all this I took Aztec off my list of potential suppliers - too many other FOs out there to even risk it - might be different but it doesnt sound like they are making any attempt to address the problem or even admit there is one - its sad too since I ordered from them back before life got in the way and I took a break from playing in the wax

Edited by scrubzz
Wasnt finished
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, TallTayl said:

This sounds like a job for the attorney general of their state. 

https://www.tn.gov/attorneygeneral/working-for-tennessee/protecting-consumers.html

enough complaints and it will be looked into. Their Facebook page is stacked with similar complaints. 

I am willing to make a complaint .My bank account is still not balanced correctly.

The bank has alot of my money tied up ,until these transactions clear .This has caused me a financial hardship .I have bills to pay on certain dates ,otherwise I get late charges on my credit cards  etc... I will check out the AG Facebook site , certainly worth a try . I definitely think if we all make a complaint ,just may get something done .

Thanks TT for your suggestion. This is very much appreciated 😁

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/1/2018 at 8:07 PM, Scented said:

We just had someone go for an international flight off our debit card and it was associated with one of three businesses. The bank's guess was Aztec's site because of the International attached to it. We've not had problems with this company in the past so I'm guessing it happened during site transfer if that was the case, but we ordered from two other places as well and need to have these places check the security of their sites. 

Just be sure to check statements, but the problem with a debit card is they aren't as secure as one would hope. 

I had some charges on my account using my debit card number AFTER  I had canceled that particular debit card...but the friggin bank put the charges thru.......WTF - if you cancel a card #, how the hell can a transaction go thru.............I guess that I need to educate myself on how bank card transitions are processed...one consumer rep informed me that I should use a credit card instead of a debit card....making the process easier in case of a dispute.

I don't know where this goes from here but I know I cannot afford to have my bank account invaded because I have a disabled husband that needs particular meds.......and if my account is hacked leaving me with less than I need for hubbies meds...where do I go from here????????????????

Life was much simplier before the internet.....................I know that the invention of the internet has been a God send but ya know,,,,,we pay a price for that technology """"""""God Sends"""""""come with a price, i.e. those that find a way to scam the system................looking back, could I have done without the internet?????????????hell, yes................

• Like 1

Before it was check washing. And forgery. Still happened, and just as hard to fix.

Most secure protection is a prepaid credit card. Load it just before a transaction for the exact amount. If the number is hacked, the thief won’t get anything. Debit cards are bad news. I only use it at the atm at my bank for deposits when I can’t get a teller. Never online. 

Kat, your situation sounds a lot like mine.  Third time we've been hacked from Aztec.  No one there will take any responsibility for it at all--claimed the problem was malware (it was not at all) and were downright rude in handling ripped off customers.  It took nearly 4 months for all charges to be reversed and more phone calls then I can count with each vendor they charged to--over a thousand dollars from our debit account.  And yes--all of my charges seemed to be for women's items, clothes, purses, and shoes.  If it's not their website they have a crooked employee sending our info to Asia.  I got an email address for some software they ordered and it looked to be from an Asian country.  Maddening and unbelievable that this is still going on.  My last hack was in March.  How they are still in business is beyond me with the multiple hacks and the terrible way the responded.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 7/10/2018 at 11:27 PM, TallTayl said:

Before it was check washing. And forgery. Still happened, and just as hard to fix.

Most secure protection is a prepaid credit card. Load it just before a transaction for the exact amount. If the number is hacked, the thief won’t get anything. Debit cards are bad news. I only use it at the atm at my bank for deposits when I can’t get a teller. Never online. 

TT ,I certainly learned my lesson . I will never use my debit card online again . I am leary to even use PayPal now ,fear my PP account may get hacked . I purchased a pre paid card & do exactly as you stated . I load the amount on my card & leave nothing to spare .

I am going to complain to the TN AG . I certainly hope  enough complaints will get a investigation in place . It truly is terrible & uncalled for .

I must add illegal too. This is a felony crime & Aztec needs to take this very serious .

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Good luck! 

I eliminated them as a supplier early on. They lack of concern for the financial devastation showed me a lot.... the one and only shipment from them was packaged so badly (and shorted)  I almost tossed it into the dumpster. Two strikes... I don’t need a third.

• Like 1

On 7/10/2018 at 11:29 PM, ellajoan said:

Kat, your situation sounds a lot like mine.  Third time we've been hacked from Aztec.  No one there will take any responsibility for it at all--claimed the problem was malware (it was not at all) and were downright rude in handling ripped off customers.  It took nearly 4 months for all charges to be reversed and more phone calls then I can count with each vendor they charged to--over a thousand dollars from our debit account.  And yes--all of my charges seemed to be for women's items, clothes, purses, and shoes.  If it's not their website they have a crooked employee sending our info to Asia.  I got an email address for some software they ordered and it looked to be from an Asian country.  Maddening and unbelievable that this is still going on.  My last hack was in March.  How they are still in business is beyond me with the multiple hacks and the terrible way the responded.

Ellajoan ,I am sorry this has happened to you . I can relate to your troubles . I think if enough of us complain to the TN AG ,maybe we can get an investigation under way . It is a felony crime & this company needs to take this serious.

The website is above in TT post . I am still not in check with my bank account. This causes such a financial hardship on us all. I cannot believe the company is not concerned for their business & reputation . I to thought this had to be an  Aztec employee .

I am not giving up so easliy on trying to catch the theif . I can at least say I tried right ...I tried tracking several of the orders without any luck at all . There has to be a way to find out the person responsible for this viscous crime .

3 minutes ago, TallTayl said:

Good luck! 

I eliminated them as a supplier early on. They lack of concern for the financial devastation showed me a lot.... the one and only shipment from them was packaged so badly (and shorted)  I almost tossed it into the dumpster. Two strikes... I don’t need a third.

The sad part for me is this company has been one of my main suppliers for many years now . I do have other suppliers & may just decide to carry my business elsewhere . I could have a little more understanding if Aztec showed any kind of concern....

It seems to me they just do not care about their customers.

This is no way to do business . Good for you on dropping them . I agree 100% with you .I will not give up so easily trying to catch the person committing this malicious crime ..

.This is definitely a felony offense. 

I feel for everyone that has had every penny taken from their bank account. It is not a good feeling to go check your balance & all your money has disappeared .

This is not a matter of hundreds ,it's thousands of dollars . I am on my third new debit card & still not balanced correctly with the bank .

I am definitely going to the AG & I appreciate your suggestion.

I hope the other victims here will complain to AG as well. Thank you kindly!!!!

Kat

On 7/10/2018 at 11:03 PM, Pam W said:

I had some charges on my account using my debit card number AFTER  I had canceled that particular debit card...but the friggin bank put the charges thru.......WTF - if you cancel a card #, how the hell can a transaction go thru.............I guess that I need to educate myself on how bank card transitions are processed...one consumer rep informed me that I should use a credit card instead of a debit card....making the process easier in case of a dispute.

I don't know where this goes from here but I know I cannot afford to have my bank account invaded because I have a disabled husband that needs particular meds.......and if my account is hacked leaving me with less than I need for hubbies meds...where do I go from here????????????????

Life was much simplier before the internet.....................I know that the invention of the internet has been a God send but ya know,,,,,we pay a price for that technology """"""""God Sends"""""""come with a price, i.e. those that find a way to scam the system................looking back, could I have done without the internet?????????????hell, yes................

I feel your pain with this situation. I cannot believe you had charges on a card that was cancelled ,makes no sense . I am still not in check  with my bank account .

I am going to take TTs advice & post a complaint with the TN Attorney General. Maybe just maybe if enough of us complain , might just get something done .... I think a investigation needs to be under way asap.

It seems to me Aztec does not have any concerns for their customers regarding the situation . I guarantee you if it were their bank account ,they would certainly be concerned .

The website TT posted above is a start to at least try . I am going to get several family members to complain to TN AG as well ,more the better . 

I was wandering if your going to drop this company as a supplier ? I am seriously thinking about doing so . I have been purchasing from this company for years ,such a shame. I wish you a speedy recovery from this malicious crime .

I have seriously become obsessed with catching the felon that is stealing our hard earned dollars.

I will never ever use my personal debit card online again. I purchased a pre paid card . I do have a PayPal account, however scared this could get hacked as well ...

Such a shame we have to live in fear ,due to a thieving criminal . 

• Confused 1

• 1 month later...
On 7/12/2018 at 12:03 PM, katmeltswax said:

I feel your pain with this situation. I cannot believe you had charges on a card that was cancelled ,makes no sense . I am still not in check  with my bank account .

I am going to take TTs advice & post a complaint with the TN Attorney General. Maybe just maybe if enough of us complain , might just get something done .... I think a investigation needs to be under way asap.

It seems to me Aztec does not have any concerns for their customers regarding the situation . I guarantee you if it were their bank account ,they would certainly be concerned .

The website TT posted above is a start to at least try . I am going to get several family members to complain to TN AG as well ,more the better . 

I was wandering if your going to drop this company as a supplier ? I am seriously thinking about doing so . I have been purchasing from this company for years ,such a shame. I wish you a speedy recovery from this malicious crime .

I have seriously become obsessed with catching the felon that is stealing our hard earned dollars.

I will never ever use my personal debit card online again. I purchased a pre paid card . I do have a PayPal account, however scared this could get hacked as well ...

Such a shame we have to live in fear ,due to a thieving criminal . 

OMG! I hate to hear that someone's account was stolen and used, that's aweful. So what has happened? Who was the guilty party? Has it been resolved to your satisfaction? Did you get all your money back? I too have purchased from Aztec Candle Supply and recently too. This makes me nervous.

On 7/2/2018 at 9:04 AM, TallTayl said:

Oh, and using a debit card for internet purchases is always super risky. Add a layer of protection using either PayPal or a credit card.

Paypal can be instructed at time of purchase to pull funds from a credit (or debit account) adding an additional layer of protection. 

Prepaid credit cards are probably the safest, since they have a limited amount of money tied to them. Add money to it as you purchase to only cover the immediate purchase. 

I want to expand on this...I had some recurring charges go thru my bank account using a debit card # that had been cancelled and replaced...when inquiring as to why the bank paid a particular debit on a card number that had never been given to the vendor, but the bank just went ahead a paid the charges under the new card number....they really didn't have an answer other than maybe I should use a credit card instead.........now, I do have a couple of bills that debit my account monthly and when I changed cards, they contacted me for a new number.  But when I was scammed in June, Best Buy debited my account with a debit card number that they had never been give......but the bank paid it anyway.

I've been thinking about getting a pre-paid card....if the money isn't there, then the charge will be declined but I do need to have a sit-down with my contact at my bank.  If a particular vendor does not have my current debit card number then why the hell does my bank authorize the transaction...........sometimes the internet is a blessing and other times it is a curse....................

Oh oh oh oh ... keep your eyes glued to your accounts if you purchase through Best Buy. Almost two years ago when my home system went down, I had to get a new computer. Less than a month later,  someone in the BB circuit was trying to buy another computer just like what I had gotten. Same company tried to do the same thing to my parents, so just a caution ... watch carefully. 

On 8/21/2018 at 4:30 PM, Pam W said:

I want to expand on this...I had some recurring charges go thru my bank account using a debit card # that had been cancelled and replaced...when inquiring as to why the bank paid a particular debit on a card number that had never been given to the vendor, but the bank just went ahead a paid the charges under the new card number....they really didn't have an answer other than maybe I should use a credit card instead.........now, I do have a couple of bills that debit my account monthly and when I changed cards, they contacted me for a new number.  But when I was scammed in June, Best Buy debited my account with a debit card number that they had never been give......but the bank paid it anyway.

I've been thinking about getting a pre-paid card....if the money isn't there, then the charge will be declined but I do need to have a sit-down with my contact at my bank.  If a particular vendor does not have my current debit card number then why the hell does my bank authorize the transaction...........sometimes the internet is a blessing and other times it is a curse....................

I know how you feel Pam, such a surprise the bank will actually pay any transaction on a cancelled card kwim. I have made many trips to my bank to get this situation resolved & they actually had the nerve to question me "Are you sure you did not make these purchases"  It's so frustrating with trying to get the money put back ,phone calls to companies I have never dealt with etc.... I have been using a pre paid card now . I am guessing the bank is questioning me b/c it's happened so many times . Sad we cannot keep our money in the bank without fear of theif draining every penny & then some kwim. I will never ever use my bank card online again . 

I cannot believe your bank paid any transaction on a cancelled card ,that's on them for being stupid in my opinion . Sorry we have had to go thru this . I have certainly felt the impact in the past few months . Also has caused many over draft charges ,which have been refunded ,however it's still not right .I hope all works on for you .

Kat 

On 8/21/2018 at 4:03 PM, Laura C said:

OMG! I hate to hear that someone's account was stolen and used, that's aweful. So what has happened? Who was the guilty party? Has it been resolved to your satisfaction? Did you get all your money back? I too have purchased from Aztec Candle Supply and recently too. This makes me nervous.

Yes this has happened to me more than one time thru Aztec . Please do not use your debit card when making a purchase online with this co. .

I have finally resolved the issue as far as my bank account ,however nothing has been accomplished with catching the responsible party . This caused me alot of financial hardships & having to explain things at the bank was no fun. They have not been very pleasant about the hacking & question me ,more like interrogate me after the charges were placed thru my account . 

I definitely have learned not to use my personal debit card online ever again to buy anything . I use a prepaid debit card now .

I hope you did not use your bank card to pay Aztecs ,if so keep a close watch on your bank account .Please keep me posted. 

Kat

On 8/21/2018 at 8:12 PM, Scented said:

Oh oh oh oh ... keep your eyes glued to your accounts if you purchase through Best Buy. Almost two years ago when my home system went down, I had to get a new computer. Less than a month later,  someone in the BB circuit was trying to buy another computer just like what I had gotten. Same company tried to do the same thing to my parents, so just a caution ... watch carefully. 

It just blows my mind that our money can be stolen so easily.

Was this a online purchases thru BB?

Just plain sad that this happens and a real pain to get it all resolved.  The cc company should have told you to monitor the card online because purchases can come through that were approved prior to your cancellation and if any are fraud report them right away.  You should not be responsible for any of them.  Sucks! I was hacked every year (sometimes twice) until I closed my Capital One account.  Since then I've had it happen to my business checking acct and my personal debit card once each.   They tell me it isn't the company purchasing from but their sites are not secure enough for $ transactions and hackers get your info way too easily.  Sad to hear Aztec is one of them.  I use Paypal whenever possible.

Edited by kandlekrazy
  • Like 1

Credit card fraud is rampant these days. According to what my creditor told me, people can sit there with programs and such - sometimes with a little bit of info like the last four digits or the entire card number except for the pin - and cycle through until they finally get something that is accepted by the merchant. Two weeks ago, someone tried to make an online purchase of $2,000+ at Walmart with my GM card - the card that hadn't been used since its replacement two months prior. How could they have possibly known all the info necessary on a fresh card? Luckily, it was caught, the account frozen, and a new card overnighted. Not-so-luckily, they forgot to unfreeze the account so it was a little embarassing when the card was denied at the grocery store. But, hey, after giving them a piece of my mind on how any of it was possible (the fraud and then the frozen new card) and the embrassment of the situation, I got a credit. Can't complain about that.

Prepaid really is the way to go. Now, if only I could find an efficient way to drain the last few dollars off each of these cards... The largest downside to prepaids: ending with a balance too low to buy anything and too large to toss out.

Don't get me started on how often my Netflix account gets hijacked by someone from France or another European country.

Edited by Kerven

2 hours ago, Kerven said:

Credit card fraud is rampant these days. According to what my creditor told me, people can sit there with programs and such - sometimes with a little bit of info like the last four digits or the entire card number except for the pin - and cycle through until they finally get something that is accepted by the merchant. Two weeks ago, someone tried to make an online purchase of $2,000+ at Walmart with my GM card - the card that hadn't been used since its replacement two months prior. How could they have possibly known all the info necessary on a fresh card? Luckily, it was caught, the account frozen, and a new card overnighted. Not-so-luckily, they forgot to unfreeze the account so it was a little embarassing when the card was denied at the grocery store. But, hey, after giving them a piece of my mind on how any of it was possible (the fraud and then the frozen new card) and the embrassment of the situation, I got a credit. Can't complain about that.

Prepaid really is the way to go. Now, if only I could find an efficient way to drain the last few dollars off each of these cards... The largest downside to prepaids: ending with a balance too low to buy anything and too large to toss out.

Don't get me started on how often my Netflix account gets hijacked by someone from France or another European country.

It's a horrible thing to go thru I know this . I always spend the remaining balance on the pre paid card at the grocery store . I buy something we can always use kwim . Bread ,milk,sugar etc.

I am glad to hear the transaction did not go thru with your GM card . 

I have Netflix & never thought about this account getting hacked ,geez this is something else right .

I feel PayPal is safe ,however I still have my doubts kwim .

It's suppose to be very protected against fraud & you can dispute a transaction you did not authorize .

Kinda worried now b/c I have

many accounts under my Roku account for TV ,such as HBO,showtime,hula & more .

26 minutes ago, katmeltswax said:

Unbelievable how people can get away with this . 

We are the only business in our town that asks for an ID with a cc purchase.  That's how they get away with this Plus they get your info and make their own cards, some with their own name on it and all your #'s. so their ID matches.   We check to be sure the name on the receipt matches but I know most businesses don't.  IDK how the banks/cc companies can afford the fraud that they cover every year.  We are small peanuts compared to the big fraud that happens.

I'm not a fan of the prepaid cards but you're right it's about it may be the only safety net.  I guess you can go to the grocery store or pharmacy and use up the small amounts on them.  I've had customers pay with 3 gift cards just to use them up because of small balances on each one.

• Like 1