Oui glass yogurt jars

lol, lol....I've been making "lots" of them!  They are just the cutest jars.  They are one of the nicest jars to ever wick too.

Unfortunately, no lids for them.....Here is a picture.

TrappeurCIMG0105.thumb.JPG.5abde7561bede5af4ada1381c7601d12.JPG

• Like 4

So crazy that you posted this lol. I literally just made my first one today Haha! I love these so much. They're so adorable. I was thinking about doing even more of them but probably without lids. I did a bit of searching today and only found rubber/plastic lids for them, so I'd rather go lidless. I was also trying to see if there's any way to buy these in bulk lol. 😂 Here I was just trying to see how much wax I could fit. No wick or fragrance or anything. 5oz of wax. 

received_1872116656140330.jpeg

Edited by LittleMissSunshine
  • Like 1

they are very cute jars and really, one could fill them with wax that's fragranced to match the Oui flavors.  Every flavor is readily available as a FO.  I bet people would buy a Oui fruit scented candle.  This yogurt probably already has something of a cult following.  And you can be sure, if you do it and do it well, Oui will  boost you by featuring these "adorable Oui inspired" candles

on their social media.  Go for it y'all!

Edited by pughaus
spelling

On 3/21/2018 at 3:35 PM, Candybee said:

Those jars are really adorable! I've never heard of this yogurt? Is it sold throughout the US? Don't remember seeing it at my store. What store chain sells it?

They sell them at my local Shop n’ Save, which took over our Food Lion a couple years ago. I bet Food Lion sells them too, I believe both chains are still servicing the mid-Atlantic. I did a double take when I first saw the yogurts, I didn’t think it was glass until I actually picked it up. They sure are adoreable! Perfect for a little bathroom candle!

• Like 1

A friend who eats yogurt gave me a bunch of those jars to make her candles.  I just haven't gotten around to it.  I thought of using those sticky clear label type lids with 2 holes punched in for sniffing, cut to size of jar.  It will keep them dust free, not the most attractive but I'm just making for her.

Isn't anyone concerned about the jars not being specifically for candles?  I only use jars made for that purpose and don't use things like teacups, other old jars etc.  I wouldn't want the liability on the off chance something happened.  Just curious

21 minutes ago, Lora said:

Isn't anyone concerned about the jars not being specifically for candles?  I only use jars made for that purpose and don't use things like teacups, other old jars etc.  I wouldn't want the liability on the off chance something happened.  Just curious

They are surprisingly hefty little jars.  I'm only making for a friend and not selling.  If I were selling, I'd just make sure the jars were in good shape (no cracks) and test, test, test before ever selling one.  Just because the jar isn't made for candles doesn't mean it's not usable.  I use crocks a lot and those aren't made for candles, also have made some in crystal inspired by @Trappeur

• Like 1

• 2 years later...

Howdy from New Mexico! I made a bunch (20?) of beeswax candles in the Oui jars last year (don't worry, the labels

peel right off with no soaking and leave behind little to no residue ~ if ever there is any adhesive to remove,  as you

likely already now, "Goo Gone Spray Gel" will do the job. Just apply a thin film of Goo Gone to any sticky spots and

let it set for 5 minutes ~ then the adhesive and Goo Gone will wash right off with some Dawn dish soap, but I never 

had to go that far, the labels peeled right off for me.).

I have not tried hemp or cotton wicks, thus far I have only used the thin flat wooden wicks made of Balsam Wood

(link below) . I left the wicks long and used the metal iron stands that came with the wooden wicks. Just to be sure

the stands/wicks stayed in place while I poured, I put a bit of double sided adhesive on the base of the stand to adhere

it and the wood wick to the center of the jar before I poured. Worked like a charm. 

I tired to let the wax cool slowly (thinking a rapid change in temperature would lead to contraction in the wax that 

would make cracks/holes/fishers/voids).....alas, I got some fishers and holes so I did have 

a little extra wax on hand to fill in any of those voids. This worked well though I did not end up with a perfectly

smooth surface. I think next time, just for grins, I will try smoothing the surface with my heat gun (a heat gun is

like an industrial strength killer-rocket-hot hair dryer but for sealing shrink wrap on packaging). I happen to have a good

heat gun from my many jobs in many states as a professional mat cutter matting and framing Fine /Archival Art.

(I even reframed an original Picaso in Santa Fe!). 

I have since learned I should have soaked the Balsam Wood Wicks in Olive Oil, I will try that next time. That said,

I found these wicks work very well with the Oui Yoplait Yogurt jars (we love this yogurt and buy it at Target and

Sprouts). Once all the wax was cooled I did trim the wooden

wicks at a 45 degree angel. No, there are no lids but if I wanted one I would simply fill the jars only 3/4 full

(not sure how much wax they hold but I seem to recall it was about 4 ounces), trim the wick flush with the rim

of the jar, and then cover the tops with circles of cotton quilting fabric (use pinking shears for a deckled edge

on the fabric) and tie with twine or colored string as the jars have somewhat of a neck and

a good rim to keep any string or twine in place.

The wicks, despite not having been soaked in oil, catch very well and burn well too. They do pop and sizzle just a

moment when I light them, then burn with no smoke or fuss. I have relit my candle at my bedside while reading and

they do relight very easily with one try and stay lit. My only complaint is that once most the candle is mostly gone,

the wood wick will gutter and flicker like a strobe until I blow it out. Time to refill the jar with new wick and wax!

This is very sturdy glass and very thick ~ I have no reservations about using (and reusing!) the Oui jars for candles.

Hope this long missive helped. Happy Candleing!

"If you Learn, Teach. If you Get, Give ~Maya Angelou

Cheers!

~B The Bread Lady

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B07R1RYYR7/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1