Heading to TCS in Ohio tomorrow, thereby saving a ton of shipping costs.

GailC

I wasn't really in the mood to take a 5 hour round trip to Ohio, but the amount I save on shipping makes it so worth it.  I am lucky there is a supplier even that close to me, because I know some of you don't have any near to you at al.  

I'm buying $553 of wax, jars and a couple of FO's and saving $211 in shipping charges!  Of course, if I was having my order shipped, I wouldn't buy so much at once.  But I am going to fill my car up.  I found out my aunt, who usually goes with me, is sick so I placed a second order for another case of wax and 3 more cases of jars, to fill up the front passenger side.  :)  I hope I haven't overestimated how much my hatchback will hold with the seats folded down.

Of course I will sniff samples while I'm there.  Are there any scents at The Candlemaker's Store you want me to smell for you?  But I am not very good at describing scents.

I called TCS a few weeks ago, and told the lady I had written a review on one FO and submitted it, but it never showed up.  She was going to look into it.  Well, lo and behold, if you look at the A to Z list of their 1000 plus FO's now, there are a few with reviews, including the one I submitted for Snow Cream....it had 2 reviews, the other one wasn't showing up either when I looked and I believe it was written before mine.  I'm glad they worked out the glitches.  Even a few reviews are better than none.  And a few FO's even have scent descriptions now.  Not many but a few.

(I'm not sure of the proper initials for The Candlemaker's store.  There is also TCS, The Candle Source, and people still talk about TCS, Tennessee Candle Supply)

• Like 1

Got my jars, got my wax, the 2 FO's I ordered plus the free one, and I only bought 2 of the $9.99 specials.  Smelled lots and lots of samples and wrote down a few.  

When I placed my order,  I wrote in the comments that there were 4 scents I particularly wanted to smell, and didn't know if they were included in the 250 or so samples available to smell.  Asked if it would be possible to sniff those if they weren't.

So they just included the 4 samples in with my order for free! I should have asked to smell a dozen.  :)  JK. 

• Like 3

Woohoo Gail! Sounds like you had some fun! Doesn't it feel good to save all that shipping costs?!!

I live about 4 hrs drive from C&S, Fillmore, and Candlewic, and make the trip out about once or twice a year to do the same. Save on shipping costs! I can get all my wax, jars, and some of my FOs too. I just load up the trunk of my car, my trunk can hold a huge load!  I just make it a day trip as it takes all day to drive out there and back plus spend a little time at each place, and have lunch too.

3 hours ago, Candybee said:

Woohoo Gail! Sounds like you had some fun! Doesn't it feel good to save all that shipping costs?!!

I live about 4 hrs drive from C&S, Fillmore, and Candlewic, and make the trip out about once or twice a year to do the same. Save on shipping costs! I can get all my wax, jars, and some of my FOs too. I just load up the trunk of my car, my trunk can hold a huge load!  I just make it a day trip as it takes all day to drive out there and back plus spend a little time at each place, and have lunch too.

Wow! You're close to 3 places.  I have ordered a bunch of times from Candlewic and a couple of times from C & S but never Fillmore yet.  I also live about 2 hours and 20 minutes from The Candle Source but they don't carry the jars or wax I use.

I would love to go to Nature's Garden again someday.  That is such a nice store, and I use so many of their oils and have yet to smell so many others.  But they are 4 1/2 hours away. Maybe someday I'll take a road trip to Knoxville, TN  and go to Aztec.  (I live in Central Indiana)

It was hard for me to judge how much would fit in my car.  I could have bought even more!  

4 hours ago, Candybee said:

Me too Candybee, I hit C&S and Candlewic a couple times a year when I visit my aunt in Allentown. I'm thinking this spring I might do a detour to Filmore and get a few cases of those jars I've had my eye on. I've been testing a couple different waxes from Candlewic in addition to CBL125 that I love, so that next time I go up I can do like Gail and order several cases and be done with it.

37 minutes ago, GailC said:

Wow! You're close to 3 places.  I have ordered a bunch of times from Candlewic and a couple of times from C & S but never Fillmore yet.  I also live about 2 hours and 20 minutes from The Candle Source but they don't carry the jars or wax I use.

I would love to go to Nature's Garden again someday.  That is such a nice store, and I use so many of their oils and have yet to smell so many others.  But they are 4 1/2 hours away. Maybe someday I'll take a road trip to Knoxville, TN  and go to Aztec.  (I live in Central Indiana)

It was hard for me to judge how much would fit in my car.  I could have bought even more!  

I remeber the last time you went to NG! I was pretty jealous. 😄

They have a bazillion oils, and so many of them sound so interesting! When I went to C&S to smell their oils, my kids got antsy after a dozen, and I had to rush. I swear I skipped all the best ones! 😆

Edited by Sarah S
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, Sarah S said:

Me too Candybee, I hit C&S and Candlewic a couple times a year when I visit my aunt in Allentown. I'm thinking this spring I might do a detour to Filmore and get a few cases of those jars I've had my eye on. I've been testing a couple different waxes from Candlewic in addition to CBL125 that I love, so that next time I go up I can do like Gail and order several cases and be done with it.

Oh you have to go to Fillmore. The drive is through Amish country and its beautiful! Plus Fillmore has a small showroom where you can sniff all their FOs. They have some really good FOs. Also, they have a shelf with sample glassware so you can try out different jars and lids to see which you like best. I think they only carry C3 wax but they do have a good assortment of glassware and FOs.

When I go to PA I usually go to Candlewic, then C&S, then on my way back stop at Fillmore. I used to go to Peaks then C&S then Fillmore until Peaks closed down. Back then I could go to all 4 in a day but it was a tight schedule! LOL

Forgot to add are you anywhere near NJ? There is Farmhouse Candle supply there. We never talk about it here much but we once had a forum member that shopped exclusively as Farmhouse and loved their FOs and used their wax.

Edited by Candybee
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Candybee said:

Oh you have to go to Fillmore. The drive is through Amish country and its beautiful! Plus Fillmore has a small showroom where you can sniff all their FOs. They have some really good FOs. Also, they have a shelf with sample glassware so you can try out different jars and lids to see which you like best. I think they only carry C3 wax but they do have a good assortment of glassware and FOs.

When I go to PA I usually go to Candlewic, then C&S, then on my way back stop at Fillmore. I used to go to Peaks then C&S then Fillmore until Peaks closed down. Back then I could go to all 4 in a day but it was a tight schedule! LOL

Forgot to add are you anywhere near NJ? There is Farmhouse Candle supply there. We never talk about it here much but we once had a forum member that shopped exclusively as Farmhouse and loved their FOs and used their wax.

I didn't realize Filmore had a showroom! Awesome! I think the kids would enjoy looking at Amish country enough to tolerate a side trip. 😄

I live in western MD, but I do travel to NJ often to visit (more) family. I think I recall seeing Farmhouse Candle, I'll look them up. From what I recall they are in southern NJ, and I head up north, but it's certainly worth a look, thank you!

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Sarah S said:

I remeber the last time you went to NG! I was pretty jealous. 😄

They have a bazillion oils, and so many of them sound so interesting! When I went to C&S to smell their oils, my kids got antsy after a dozen, and I had to rush. I swear I skipped all the best ones! 😆

I remember that!  I felt bad for you that you didn't have time to sniff much.

Like when I got to Nature's Garden 40 minutes before closing time and had to hurry and sniff, sniff, sniff.  That's why I'd like to go again.  Their store is nice and clean and well lit.  The Candlemaker's store is an area in their warehouse.  It's functional but not pleasing to the eye. But I had all the time in the world yesterday to sniff their 250 some samples available plus their 16 oz specials available to buy.

At the end my sniffer was worn out I think, because they had a bunch of Perfume Type 16 oz bottles on a table for sale for $9.99 a lb, and they all smelled pretty much alike to me.  :)  But I don't much care for perfume types.  I should have smelled them first probably, but couldn't open a one.  When I was ready to check out with the 2 specially priced bottles I got, (Honeysuckle & Cedar) I found I couldn't leave without sniffing them so got a guy to help me.  I was able to open most all the others because there was more than one of each scent, and if I couldn't open one, I tried another.  I should have taken my bottle opening gadget with me.  These old arthritic hands are pretty useless sometimes.

Oh, BTW, I liked every one of the 4 free samples they gave me so now I want to order them too!  Most of the ones I wrote down that I sniffed and liked cost more than I want to pay.  My nose has good taste I guess.  :)  I may break down and buy the Hot Maple Toddy for $22 because it smelled so good and my friend just mentioned that she would like a candle in that fragrance.  I like Aztec's and NG's prices better.  :) But I'll buy the $18 ones from RE and Millcreek if I like them.  Yes, I'm a cheapskate I know, but I just won't pay $25 a pound for an FO

• Like 2

On 3/16/2018 at 3:49 PM, GailC said:

Gail when you go to Knoxville, let me know as I'll drive there and meet you and we can sniff together and we could spend the night there.:thumbsup:

Trappeur

• Like 1

Yay! Road trip!!  5 hours round trip, I'd be there once a month.  Mine is 8+ hrs round trip if there isn't a ton of traffic and not open on Mondays and I still manage to go there just to browse.  Great that they threw in what you wanted to sniff.  I get overwhelmed with the amount of fo to sniff when I go and sometimes end up with no new scents which is just plain sad.

2 hours ago, Trappeur said:

Gail when you go to Knoxville, let me know as I'll drive there and meet you and we can sniff together and we could spend the night there.:thumbsup:

Trappeur

That would be so fun!  Let me hurry and use a bunch of these 200+ FO's I already have to make room for more.  :)

It's 5 hours and 20 minutes away for me, so it is doable.  

38 minutes ago, kandlekrazy said:

Yay! Road trip!!  5 hours round trip, I'd be there once a month.  Mine is 8+ hrs round trip if there isn't a ton of traffic and not open on Mondays and I still manage to go there just to browse.  Great that they threw in what you wanted to sniff.  I get overwhelmed with the amount of fo to sniff when I go and sometimes end up with no new scents which is just plain sad.

I also get overwhelmed with the amount to sniff.  Sometimes I think it's better just to get samples in the mail and sniff to my heart's content before I make the decision whether or not to buy a large bottle.  

Earlier in the month, I had ordered a Country Sampler pack from The Candlemaker's Store, because I have a country line of candles.  So I  smelled the 10 over and over and eliminated a couple that cost too much, and finally decided on two that I then ordered and picked up Thursday.  

If you remember my saga last summer about going to Nature's Garden, I had a list of what I wanted to sniff, but got there late, plus it was just too much, smelling so many at once, so I ended up only buying 6 new ones I think plus restocking a couple.  

• Like 1