Testing FOs

What I’m wondering is, when you order a new FO do you always put it in a candle to test it, if not how do you evaluate FOs? I have been testing by making melts, but I’m starting to realize that isn’t working as well as I would like, but it does tell me how the FO works in a melt. I’m starting to realize that I have a lot of FOs that probably need a better evaluation than I have given them.

Without burning them you have no idea how they will perform in a candle.

Every fragrance is made of hundreds of different components. Some of them do not work well with certain wicks some do not work well with other waxes. You have to test them all as you’re going to use them.

I do test over a warmer or sometimes in melts just to see if I like it well enough to burn a candle.

• Like 1

Forrest, I always test with the end product in mind. So, if I have an FO earmarked for candles, soap, and incense, I test in all 3 products. Sometimes I just hate a fragrance OOB, if it's really that bad, I don't bother to test it. I've said before, too many great fragrances out there to waste time with a dud! But I always try to get the fragrance in something before I judge too harshly.

Sometimes, I just feel like a fragrance is better suited to a tart, so I never bother testing it in a candle. Sometimes a fragrance that's a dud in a candle or tart is awesome in soap. And I have more than one fragrance that is so-so in tarts, but comes alive when wicked. So although I test with the end product in mind, I will try other applications as well. But I make a LOT of different types of products, so I have some flexibility.

So, like TT said, and it seems you have already reached that conclusion on your own, test every fragrance in a candle if the fragrance is intended to end up in a candle. 

You have good instincts and are asking great questions!

ps - I ALWAYS make sure a fragrance is body safe at a high % before I even THINK of putting it in a cosmetic product. Just wanted to clarify that! 😊

• Thanks 1

On 3/14/2018 at 8:16 AM, TallTayl said:

Without burning them you have no idea how they will perform in a candle.

Every fragrance is made of hundreds of different components. Some of them do not work well with certain wicks some do not work well with other waxes. You have to test them all as you’re going to use them.

I do test over a warmer or sometimes in melts just to see if I like it well enough to burn a candle.

When I have FOs that I really don't like much, I set them aside.  Then somewhere down the road when I'm totally bored, I get into blending.  I'll blend those FOs with other FOs that I think may be compatible....pour a short jar or melts and burn on a warmer to see how the chosen fragrances blend.  If I like the scent, then I pour a test candles.

• Like 2